Seaford non-controversy erupts!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
barks4eva wrote:FAIR DINKUM!
I have a low boredom threshold....... can someone tell me if this is worth reading or not?
That's about all you need to know!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Life Long Saint wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
barks4eva wrote:FAIR DINKUM!
I have a low boredom threshold....... can someone tell me if this is worth reading or not?
That's about all you need to know!
Cool.

Thanks.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm with Barks on this.
Just not smart short or long term thinking - the team is st kilda, not seaford.
The closer they are based to their spiritual home the stronger the ties, the stronger the spiritual fabric of a club. At what distance do you reach the point of losing touch with your base? Could you handle Morwell? Albany? Townsville?

And bugger commuting - it's why i'd never live in city suburbia - the amount of life you waste, time better spent with family, friends, or in your own indulgences.
the club should've moved heaven and earth to stay, instead they found it easier to simply give up and move. that shows a weak mentality to me.
with free agency coming it's just another reason a player may decide to either not come, or leave.
the harden the f... up attitude is nonsensical as it has a negative effect whether you think it should or not.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I drive from Cheltenham to the Roy Melb Hosp 5 times a week

boohoo

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Does barks4eva own the coffee shop where the players used to go ?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I drive from Cheltenham to the Roy Melb Hosp 5 times a week

boohoo
congratulations - i played for years in cheap studless boots - doesn't mean i'd expect a player to do so!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:I'm with Barks on this.
Just not smart short or long term thinking - the team is st kilda, not seaford.
The closer they are based to their spiritual home the stronger the ties, the stronger the spiritual fabric of a club. At what distance do you reach the point of losing touch with your base? Could you handle Morwell? Albany? Townsville?

And bugger commuting - it's why i'd never live in city suburbia - the amount of life you waste, time better spent with family, friends, or in your own indulgences.
the club should've moved heaven and earth to stay, instead they found it easier to simply give up and move. that shows a weak mentality to me.
with free agency coming it's just another reason a player may decide to either not come, or leave.
the harden the f... up attitude is nonsensical as it has a negative effect whether you think it should or not.
Unless you have a short memory the club did move heaven and earth to try and stay and it kept getting knocked back. Anyway at least half the players now live close to Seaford then Moorabbin so travelling isnt a big deal for more than 50%. And its hardly a million miles away. 30 minutes from Moorabbin. Finally dont understand the spiritual home thing at all. St Kilda is just a name of a footy club to them not a suburb.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The OP nailed it. Ralph has taken one sentence out of the interview, twisted it out of context, added a huge pile of his own guesswork...and voila..one very typical H-S beatup

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
philtee
Club Player

Exactly saint66au. If you read Riewoldt's quote, Seaford is now a non-issue, it's dead, departed,
ceased-to-be, and not even pining for the fjords. Yet J Ralph has used all
his smoke and mirrors to basically make something out of nothing.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:the club should've moved heaven and earth to stay,
Stay where?

Moorabbin, or Junction Oval?

How was a club called St Kilda allowed to stay in Moorabbin for all those years?

The only people who want us to return to our "spritual home" at Moorabbin, are those not old enough to remember playing at the Junction Oval.

Get over it..... the rest of us did in the 60s.

Mind you, we did have a premiership then to deaden the pain. :wink:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:The OP nailed it. Ralph has taken one sentence out of the interview, twisted it out of context, added a huge pile of his own guesswork...and voila..one very typical H-S beatup
Bury your head in the sand, like most on here will do!

And the thing is in 2016 when all that I predict comes to fruition and make no mistake we are well on the way right now, you like most on here I presume still won't get it!

NFI
barks4eva wrote: I told a board member in 2008 that this decision is an absolute disgrace, that the players hate it and it will destroy the club.

In reply he said, "Yes I know the players are not happy about it but... blah blah blah, it will increase our supporter base, blah blah blah it will entrench us in .....blah blah blah"

!
It's not just about the current playing list but also the future, we will not be able to attract the cream and some of the cream we have will leave and this location will be a factor in all of it.

AND when free agency comes in and players start leaving and we never land a big out of contract recruit, you like most others on here I presume will still be none the wiser trying to figure out where it all went pear shaped :roll:

FAIR DINKUM[/quote]

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
saint66au wrote:The OP nailed it. Ralph has taken one sentence out of the interview, twisted it out of context, added a huge pile of his own guesswork...and voila..one very typical H-S beatup

And the thing is in 2016 when all that I predict comes to fruition and make no mistake we are well on the way right now, you like most on here I presume still won't get it!

NFI
barks4eva wrote: I told a board member in 2008 that this decision is an absolute disgrace, that the players hate it and it will destroy the club.

In reply he said, "Yes I know the players are not happy about it but... blah blah blah, it will increase our supporter base, blah blah blah it will entrench us in .....blah blah blah"

!
It's not just about the current playing list but also the future, we will not be able to attract the cream and some of the cream we have will leave and this location will be a factor in all of it.

AND when free agency comes in and players start leaving and we never land a big out of contract recruit, you like most others on here I presume will still be none the wiser trying to figure out where it all went pear shaped :roll:

FAIR DINKUM
[/quote]

While you're at it Nostradamus, next weeks tattslotto numbers please.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
desertsaint wrote:the club should've moved heaven and earth to stay,
Stay where?

Moorabbin, or Junction Oval?

How was a club called St Kilda allowed to stay in Moorabbin for all those years?

The only people who want us to return to our "spritual home" at Moorabbin, are those not old enough to remember playing at the Junction Oval.

Get over it..... the rest of us did in the 60s.

Mind you, we did have a premiership then to deaden the pain. :wink:
you lucky, lucky bastard! :wink:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

NFI

!

FAIR DINKUM
While you're at it Nostradamus, next weeks tattslotto numbers please.[/quote]

Are you people really that thick?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:

boohoo
congratulations - i played for years in cheap studless boots - doesn't mean i'd expect a player to do so!
what? drive to work like commoners?

hardly an injustice

Moods
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

NFI

!

FAIR DINKUM
[/quote]

What are you on about mate? Instead of constantly carping about where they should have been based, how about some suggestions - that won't send the club broke in the short term? The St Kilda Cricket club/sporting club that run the Junction Oval don't want a footy club there. Why do you think Melbourne moved? Why do you think Fitzroy moved 20 years ago? It simply isn't viable and the sporting complex make sure it isn't viable. It's the only major sporting complex in StKilda so that idea is out the door.

Lakeside Sporting complex is probably the one you're thinking about. Problem is if a footy club is to move in they have to give something to the cmmunity. Top gym and swimming facilities already exist in that precinct. As do sporting grounds.

Why would any of us, supporters, care where the saints are based in Melbourne. I live in the outer east and started following the saints when they were based at the Moorabbin. I didn't choose the club that was geographically closest to where I lived (otherwise I would have chosen the hawks. It's irrelevant to supporters b/c everyone in Melbourne plays at the same grounds.

As for the players pffft. they'll get over it. Most draftees are just rapt to be drafted. The real estate around Mt Eliza is some of the best in Melbourne. And it's near the beach. Funnily enough the cats don't have any problems attracting players, at a location which is 1hr from melbourne and in a country town.... Future players will not give a rats arse. Melbourne are now based in Cranbourne and the tiges will be based in Craigieburn. The hawks are based in Waverley (and funnily enough they still attract players too.) The current crop of players may be a bit put out, but apart from a small minority of ppl I'm not sure anyone cares.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Bury your head in the sand, like most on here will do!

Meh, isn't the world ending in 2012 anyway :wink:

amusingname
Club Player

This argument about not attracting players is just bogus. Its not like Essendon's base would be that attractive to a South-East suburbs local, nor the Bulldogs locale, going down the highway to the cats isn't too appealing either to some. You know what is attractive to any footy player? having a shot at winning!

Barks constant rants, which I thought used to include being told by a player that they are not happy, now it is just a board member, are purely fantasy. The days of players needing to be based near their home really went out when footballers became professional, they know that when they are at the club they are working and if you are successful, players will want to be there.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

boohoo

hardly an injustice
so you buy a house near work - walking distance or a short drive - then your work moves - an hour away - would it effect you at all?

or you get an offer near the end of your career - move to a new workplace, close to where you'd like to live, or maybe where you've already decided to live, despite the long commute, close to a good school for your kids, close to the attractions of a city. you'd see your kids an hour more each day, or have an hour more each day to enjoy other pursuits. what would you choose?

it's all well and good to say - i have to do it why wouldn't they - but why should they if they have better options?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

boohoo

hardly an injustice
so you buy a house near work - walking distance or a short drive - then your work moves - an hour away - would it effect you at all?

or you get an offer near the end of your career - move to a new workplace, close to where you'd like to live, or maybe where you've already decided to live, despite the long commute, close to a good school for your kids, close to the attractions of a city. you'd see your kids an hour more each day, or have an hour more each day to enjoy other pursuits. what would you choose?

it's all well and good to say - i have to do it why wouldn't they - but why should they if they have better options?
On their pay I'd buy a second house near the new workplace and rent out the first.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

boohoo

hardly an injustice

I don't disagree with your points desert saint. Of course all of us would live as close to work as possible. I myself have made that exact choice with my job. I am fortunate where I can make that choice.

However, as a professional footballer, you work where the club tells you to. Very few players at our club are likely to leave simply b/c they don't like the location of our new facilities. It's too cut throat to be taking those chances. So in essence they should just suck it up and stop grizzling. There are only a about 4-5 clubs in the whole AFL that are based in the city, or will be in the next few years. Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne (and who knows where they will be in a few years) The dogs are just out of the city.

So Seaford is a wee bit inconvenient for some of them.... Gee whiz, if my employer was going to pay me b/w 200-500grand a year when I was in my 20's, pretty sure I'd just move to the area they are based or just suck it up. AS someone else mentioned, just shows how out of touch with society they are if they're going to grizzle about this.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

boohoo

hardly an injustice

I don't disagree with your points desert saint. Of course all of us would live as close to work as possible. I myself have made that exact choice with my job. I am fortunate where I can make that choice.

However, as a professional footballer, you work where the club tells you to. Very few players at our club are likely to leave simply b/c they don't like the location of our new facilities. It's too cut throat to be taking those chances. So in essence they should just suck it up and stop grizzling. There are only a about 4-5 clubs in the whole AFL that are based in the city, or will be in the next few years. Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne (and who knows where they will be in a few years) The dogs are just out of the city.

So Seaford is a wee bit inconvenient for some of them.... Gee whiz, if my employer was going to pay me b/w 200-500grand a year when I was in my 20's, pretty sure I'd just move to the area they are based or just suck it up. AS someone else mentioned, just shows how out of touch with society they are if they're going to grizzle about this.
yep agree with you completely,
my scenarios were simply - in the first instance - of course it has an effect on the current group - they'll get over it in time; in the second - the likely effects of free agency on very good players.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Barks very passionate about this. Seaford will be a non issue in a few years.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
barks4eva wrote:The players hate Seaford!

Star players will leave!

Out of contract stars from other clubs will not come for this reason alone!

I told a board member in 2008 that this decision is an absolute disgrace, that the players hate it and it will destroy the club.

The only thing it will entrench us in is the bottom of the ladder with a dwindling membership!

The next move south will be to Tasmania on a permanent basis, even the current board would probably not see French Island as a viable option, then again given their track record, perhaps I might hedge my bets!

The fact is the club has moved further south and that's precisely where the membership will also be heading.

By 2016, 30,000 members will be a pipe dream, probably have less members than North and as a result sponsorships will dry up and revenue will be more stripped back than a nudist colony.

This will eventually be the ruination of this football club.

The dingbat board must be certifiably bat shyte crazy for ever agreeing to this rubbish.

They con'nivingly and disingenuously never once raised relocation as an issue when they were seeking the vote of the members, then when elected ( I NEVER VOTED FOR THESE CLOWNS ) five minutes in and the big announcement "We are moving to Frankston" then when that c**k up went belly up, out of sheer desperation Archie drives around the area looking for a vacant lot and then a few weeks later the vacant lot make another announcement "We are moving to Seaford"!

Say what you like about Butterss but at least he was actively trying to locate the club as close to St kilda as possible!

I called this a disaster at the time, a white elephant that would destroy this club and send it backwards.

How anyone can say this is a good thing let alone a board actually making such a monumentally lame brain decision to locate an AFL football club in the back blocks of Seaford is either living in cloud cuckoo land or drowning in a gold fish bowl of their own bong water and quite obviously would not get the drum even with a brass band up them.

These clowns will go down in infamy as the buffoons who sold the club up the Kananook creek without a paddle.

Seaford a stuff up one day, a calamity the next!

If you're one of the sleepers who voted for clown Westaway and co, congratulations you have helped this club do what it does better than any other club in history and that is to shoot itself in the foot.

What we needed was to locate to the most marketable suburb in Victoria that actually bears the name of the club or as close to it as possible, something which the previous board was actively working on when they were replaced by a bunch of bonehead cretins, otherwise known as the dumbed down, dunderhead dolts of discombobulation who will forever be held responsible for this idiocy, or as they are more commonly referred to, the current board of the St kilda Football Club!

Another thing that escaped the attention of the vacuous horde of clown Westaway voters is that Butterss had an in with city hall, he and Demetriou were developing a close relationship and finally this club was in a position to curry favour.

NOT NOW, the current surrender monkey board are too busy jumping at shadows to get a FAIR DINKUM clue anytime soon!

Now not only have we moved further south by location, this is precisely where the club is heading on all fronts, ladder position, membership, dollars etc...etc...

I warned this is exactly what would happen two years ago!

How are we travelling, how are things tracking?

Tassie Saints, here we come, might take us ten years to get there but the first steps have been put in place by the visionless twits who actually thought that moving to Seaford was a good thing and that it would propel us into a super power, oh dear!

Goddard is as good as gone, Riewoldt will probably take the bucks next year, Fisher will probably go back to Adelaide, the soul of the club has been ripped apart and sold off to the city of Frankenstein by a vacuous, visionless, vacant lot of numskulled, nuffies, ninnies and numbnuts.

The only thing red, white and black about Seaford is that it will put this club in the red with a white elephant that will make things very black!

The entire board of the St kilda football club otherwise known as the dumbed down, dunderhead dolts of discombobulation should resign en masse effective immediately!

FAIR DINKUM!
or not....it's a repeat of previous work....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Barks very passionate about this. Seaford will be a non issue in a few years.
I agree, the Tassie Saints relocation will be the new focus!