Peake, Polo, Dawson, Gamble

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:Gamble may be no Hamill, doesnt have that intimidating prescence like he did. But he showed some signs this week that he is developing a defensive side to his game, some hard chasing and attempted tackles.
I repeat Gamble is no Hamill
I believe the third tall forward is a must for our structure, and also why we need Kosi there at FF. If Gamble can keep presenting up the wings and be that strong marking link player that also finds a hole in the F50. We can really stretch opposition defences.
Not too sure yet but maybe Gamble can develop a really good tank.
I just like the way he is developing in our team and what he can offer. Go Vegas!!
Of course Gamble is no Hamill.

And he shouldn't be compared to him any way. We will not be getting another Hamill, just like we won't be getting another Lockett.

Gamble should simply be judged on what he brings to the team and so far there's a little bit to like about how he's going.

St Loxton
Club Player

It was more about the position id like him to be played in rather than the ability and the person of Hamill.
Yeah maybe i shouldnt have even mentioned his name, it was just about the strong marking tall defensive Fwd position, and yes he is still a ways off yet.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:It was more about the position id like him to be played in rather than the ability and the person of Hamill.
Yeah maybe i shouldnt have even mentioned his name, it was just about the strong marking tall defensive Fwd position, and yes he is still a ways off yet.
No that's cool St L.

Just decided to tack my thoughts onto your post. The reality is that when any new forward comes in to the team these days there are fans who are quick to bring up Hamill's name. But people have to accept that he was a very unique individual and it's quite probable that we'll never see his like again.

We should simply judge our players on what they bring to the table.

Austinnn
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I'd almost go as far a to say that Peake and Jack Steven are the reason for our turnaround.

These two are doing more than just playing roles. They're winning ball, creating run, and taking plenty of heat off Joey and Dal.

These guys have forced the opposition to balance their defence a bit, and not just focus on Dal and Joey.

As soon as they've done that, Dal and Joey hurt them.
+1
+1 And agree that it's easier to look a good player in a successful team. The poster used Nick Maxwell as an example. All we need do then is ensure that we are a successful team so as to absorb these players' deficiencies and give them a chance to do the little things that get us over the line. If we can get little cameos from players like Gamble and Polo like Shaw and Maxwell's game changing acts in the GFs, then they may just end up being Saints legends one day!

Having too many of these 'role players' in one team is the bigger worry though. We need to get the balance right. We need to find more of the 'special' players, and that is going to be a lot more difficult.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The funny thing is that at the cats Gamble was renowned for doing the impossible goals and mercurial acts and not being the most disciplined individual. My mate that follows Geelong thought he would fit well with us because he could arse a goal when we needed it. He is probably focussing too much on the team thing at the moment and not balancing the freak acts. he does back himself when he is open.

Richter
SS Life Member

Peake - always liked his run, but like others have had his poor disposal and lack of defensive accountability marked against him. Boy has he turned it around. Great to see. Seems to have learnt the Lyon way and playing incredibly responsibly and maturely. Helps that the new game plan of playing on at all costs fits his natural game.

Polo - I still have my doubts - he has essentially been keeping Armo out, which is a concern for mine. Happy, of course, with the way he is playing but next year when Lenny is back I'd prefer it if Armo keeps his spot as I think he offers us more than Polo. Also would prefer to see Ledger and Cripps get more game time in front of him.

Dawson - a terrific full back who has had an excellent 3 seasons since coming to us. Unbelievable the negative press that he gets on here.

Gamble - yes, he's playing his part, but in the longer run I'd prefer either of the Tommys over him. I think he'll play the majority of this year but the Tommys will get more game time next year. I hope so anyway.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...