Options for Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Options for Armo

Old Mate wrote:
degruch wrote:
bigcarl wrote:The Messiah can wait until next season.

I think go with an in-form forward like Walsh.
Aren't they the same person?

With a home final hanging on the outcome, I'd like to think we don't decide to debut a player, not against a unit like Carlton. Gamble's got to be an in on his previous form, I'm not sure Bakes is up to Carlton's small forwards.
The idea of not playing a first gamer isnt a consideration its play most inform players and at the minute Walsh is banging on the door the loudest.
Surely the most important thing is to play someone in reasonable form but suited to the position they are playing. If Stanley and MG were in great form neither of them should or would come in because they would wreck our structure.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
degruch wrote:

With a home final hanging on the outcome, I'd like to think we don't decide to debut a player, not against a unit like Carlton. Gamble's got to be an in on his previous form, I'm not sure Bakes is up to Carlton's small forwards.
The idea of not playing a first gamer isnt a consideration its play most inform players and at the minute Walsh is banging on the door the loudest.
I would have thought having Pelchen staring at your name on the current playing list would have had the same effect across the team lately...they'd know he's looking at heads. I think that Tommy Walsh will be a dead cert to play a dozen or so games in 2012, short of injury or dramatic form slump...there will be positions available in the forward line, I'm sure.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sign up Fev? Though on a less serious note, I think an extra big forward might be unsettling for the Carlton backs, so Walsh maybe. I would hesitate at bringing Bakes in unless he was given the job to annoy Judd all night until Judd throws a punch and then good bye Carlton for the finals.

St Lenny
Club Player

Bring Gamble in. Ross doesnt buy into farwells. It the pointy end of the season and we are playing for a home final, why would he bring in a kid. And why the hell would you drop Blake, what did he do wrong?

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

We will appeal yes?

Either way he is out for 1 game.

He may not miss after all.

They walk amongst us...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:We will appeal yes?

I actually dont think we will. He will get an extra 50 points if found guilty which is more than likely so he goes next time what ever the charge. With 30 points, a minor charge may not get a week. I cant see what they can actually argue. My guess is they will take it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
degruch wrote:

Surely the most important thing is to play someone in reasonable form but suited to the position they are playing. If Stanley and MG were in great form neither of them should or would come in because they would wreck our structure.
It will be either Gamble, Lynch or Walsh in that order.

They might bring in Baker for one of their smalls. This would depend on the matchups and I wouldn't have a clue there so I doubt it.

Cripps is ZERO chance.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I actually dont think we will. He will get an extra 50 points if found guilty which is more than likely so he goes next time what ever the charge. With 30 points, a minor charge may not get a week. I cant see what they can actually argue. My guess is they will take it.
St Kilda always takes everything the AFL gives them and they will do it with a big smile and say: "thank you sir".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

St Kilda always takes everything the AFL gives them and they will do it with a big smile and say: "thank you sir".
Well there isnt any point unless you think you will win and in this case I cant see what they can argue about. Hope i am wrong as I often am which has been pointed out many times today.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well there isnt any point unless you think you will win and in this case I cant see what they can argue about. Hope i am wrong as I often am which has been pointed out many times today.
I can't see there's much point in making a stand on this one - there's been much MUCH worse in the past we should have fought, but we don't need the distraction of a punch up with the AFL over a sling tackle heading into the finals.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

agree. no point in contesting and they won't.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think it will be Baker. He seems to be the next in line and Carlton have plenty of smalls for him to take. Betts, Gartlett and Yarran are all possible matchups and would allow Dempster to take Judd, Murphy or Simpson.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I cant see Ross becoming sentimental with regards to Baker, especially with a home final riding on the result. Nor can I see him playing Cripps after a long spell out, which leaves Gamble and Lynch.

Gamble for me. Lynch doesnt quite look there yet, admittedly from a TV viewing opinion.

PJ
SS Life Member

Sorry to the romantics but Bakes is too slow for Carlton's mosquitos.

We need a defensive forward - not too sure who fills that description

Walsh or Lynch

What's Walsh's defensive game like?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
To the top
SS Life Member

The options are those who were named as Emergencies last week (Baker, Gamble and Walsh) plus those who did play in the VFL being Archer, Simpkin, Heyne, Cripps, Lynch, Johnson (injured?), Gardiner, Smith, Curren and Cahill.

Apart from the emergencies, the 3 named in the best at VFL level (Gardiner, Cahill and Curren) you would assume have their names in front of the others.

Armitage has been playing forward/mid - so who is like for like.

Geary was the substitute - but he will not bring what Armitage can in physical presence at the contests, in and under work, tackling and disposal.

Unless we look at Blake rucking - and decide to give McEvoy support leaving Koschitzke to play forward and as a utility when venturing up the ground - with Riewoldt going deep.

Peake is our forward pressure player because of his closing pace.

The problem I have is that the list of possibles includes three I feel more comfortable with being out of the side - Baker, Gamble and Geary.

You may also conclude that I have a problem with Blake rucking - or anywhere apart from a "spare" player back - which he did very well against Freo when Fisher was chasing Pavlich.

But with Fisher in defence, there is no spot for Blake apart from rucking - where he is not the answer.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The options are those who were named as Emergencies last week (Baker, Gamble and Walsh) plus those who did play in the VFL being Archer, Simpkin, Heyne, Cripps, Lynch, Johnson (injured?), Gardiner, Smith, Curren and Cahill.

Apart from the emergencies, the 3 named in the best at VFL level (Gardiner, Cahill and Curren) you would assume have their names in front of the others.

Armitage has been playing forward/mid - so who is like for like.

Geary was the substitute - but he will not bring what Armitage can in physical presence at the contests, in and under work, tackling and disposal.

Unless we look at Blake rucking - and decide to give McEvoy support leaving Koschitzke to play forward and as a utility when venturing up the ground - with Riewoldt going deep.

Peake is our forward pressure player because of his closing pace.

The problem I have is that the list of possibles includes three I feel more comfortable with being out of the side - Baker, Gamble and Geary.

You may also conclude that I have a problem with Blake rucking - or anywhere apart from a "spare" player back - which he did very well against Freo when Fisher was chasing Pavlich.

But with Fisher in defence, there is no spot for Blake apart from rucking - where he is not the answer.
So you want Geary out aswell as Armitage?
That means we have to find 2 players?
The only thing I can conclude is that you haven't actually suggested anyone.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who is the defensive fwd at collingwood, carlton, hawthorn, geelong???

Or do tjey just ask the actual fwds to tackle occasionally....

The notion is the most ridiculous idea in footy......

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who is the defensive fwd at collingwood, carlton, hawthorn, geelong???

Preventing the opposition's run out of the backline, whilst setting up scoring opportunities in your F50 by placing additional pressure on their backline...sounds really stupid...you'd never get to a GF with that tactic. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who is the defensive fwd at collingwood, carlton, hawthorn, geelong???

Those clubs have attacking smalls who can be defensive. Sorry but we dont have one as such so that is why Armo is used there. Do you understand the game at all. By the way Osbourne plays a defensive role at Hawthorn.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 29 Aug 2011 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJ
SS Life Member

All forwards must have a defensive game but when you've got big forwards like Kosi and Roo it helps having another forward that has chase, speed, run down, tackle high in their vocab.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Those clubs have attacking smalls who can be defensive. Sorry but we dont have one as such so that is why Armo is used there. Do you understand the game at all. By the way Osbourne plays a defensive role at Hawthorn.
Brent Macaffer played the second Grand Final last year as a defensive forward. Who won that game again?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Brent Macaffer played the second Grand Final last year as a defensive forward. Who won that game again?
Dont know. Never seen the end of it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was goldsack???

Where is mcaffer playeing atm......was good for his career....

From memory...both goldsack and mcaffer actually hit the scoreboard....

What is a defensive fwd.....someone who plays in attack, and his first job is to defend....whilst he is in a scoring position

Best way tp make a defender defend......kickna few on them

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plugger

On one hand armitage is too slow for tje middle......but is quick enough to apply pressure fwd....So strange

Reminds me a lot of the better pressure fwds in the comp......with so many chase downs and pressure acts.....hmmm

David has one real strength.....contested ball, particularly at stoppages...
His ability to crack in at stoppages is his asset
Other strengths include, ability to find the odd goal by getting fwd from the middle and hitting opposition players hard

Not sure chasing is his forte....nor is marking

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I thought it was goldsack???

Where is mcaffer playeing atm......was good for his career....

From memory...both goldsack and mcaffer actually hit the scoreboard....

What is a defensive fwd.....someone who plays in attack, and his first job is to defend....whilst he is in a scoring position

Best way tp make a defender defend......kickna few on them
I actually agree with that largely. But no player is perfect, so it comes down to making the most of what your current list is capable of doing. I believe that the role Armo plays currently maximises team performance.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs