Saints v Swans - 10th September - Etihad Stadium

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Swans - 10th September - Etihad Stadium

plugger66 wrote:Well we havent got another genuine key forward so we will need to recruit one next year. Kosi will have to do at the moment but I agree we cant play all 3 but it looks like we may.
Walsh has looked okay for Sandringham. Big, strong, fast and a good kick.

Zac looked like a natural there on Saturday.

You say we don't have another key forward, but sometimes you have to think a bit laterally.

We may have to manufacture one or even reward form in the reserves with a game. :idea:
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 05 Sep 2011 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

bigcarl wrote: Zac looked like a natural there on Saturday.
I think I remember hearing somewhere that in juniors, Zac played as a forward. He has also pinch hit there a couple of times for us.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Rosco
Club Player

didn't we try zac down forward when roo went down last year? or was it in 2009? i suppose we haven't had much in the way of key forwards for a couple of years now.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Considering:

1. Dawson being manhandled by O'Hallpin;
2. Dawson creating a couple of opportunities in the forward line in the last Q; and
3. Roo's form or lack there of it (consistently anyway).

I wouldn't have a problem with Zac playing forward against the Swans.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well we havent got another genuine key forward so we will need to recruit one next year. Kosi will have to do at the moment but I agree we cant play all 3 but it looks like we may.

You say we don't have another key forward, but sometimes you have to think a bit laterally.

We may have to manufacture one or even reward form in the reserves with a game. :idea:
Walsh and Zac genuine key forwards. Tell me you are joking. This is fair dinkum finals time not some round 24 mickey mouse game where one side just wanted to get through the game uninjured.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Walsh and Zac genuine key forwards. Tell me you are joking. This is fair dinkum finals time not some round 24 mickey mouse game where one side just wanted to get through the game uninjured.
I'm looking at the long haul Plugger. Our forward structure this season has been very poor with Riewoldt asked to shoulder a massive burden.

I'm not surprised he's struggled. We had the chance to trial Walsh several times during the season, as late as a couple of weeks ago. But we didn't take it.

Let's face it, Zac couldn't offer less than Riewoldt or Kosi did as a forward on Saturday.

We may be stuck with the usual unwieldy and unsound structure this finals series, but it is going to change next season ... mark it down now.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 05 Sep 2011 3:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I'm looking at the long haul Plugger. Our forward structure this season has been very poor with Riewoldt asked to shoulder a massive burden.

I'm not surprised he's struggled. We had the chance to trial Walsh several times during the season, as late as a couple of weeks ago. But we didn't take it.

Also, Zac couldn't offer less than Riewoldt or Kosi did as a forward on Saturday.
Long haul is fine but we have to worry about next week and neither Walsh or Zac are going to play forward next week. It will be Rooy and Kosi.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Also, Zac couldn't offer less than Riewoldt or Kosi did as a forward on Saturday.
Long haul is fine but we have to worry about next week and neither Walsh or Zac are going to play forward next week. It will be Rooy and Kosi.

I've got a feeling Zac might sneak down there again after Saturday night.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I've got a feeling Zac might sneak down there again after Saturday night.
Only if he is getting beaten or we are struggling so hopefully we see him nowhere near the forward line.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Did Zac do anything as a 'key forward' though on Saturday night?

Or was it just as 'a forward'?

I mean did he take big pack marks? Out mark his man one on one? Crash packs to bring the ball down to the smalls? Encourage us to kick long and direct to him?

I only saw small parts of it, but from what I saw he didn't play a 'key forward' type role. He was just a forward - and he never got any attention so he was able to find the pill.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Did Zac do anything as a 'key forward' though on Saturday night?

I mean did he take big pack marks? Out mark his man one on one? Crash packs to bring the ball down to the smalls? Encourage us to kick long and direct to him?

I only saw small parts of it, but from what I saw he didn't play a 'key forward' type role. He was just a forward - and he never got any attention so he was able to find the pill.
He led and marked and kicked a goal. Has size and pace on his side and appears to know where to run to get free.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Did Zac do anything as a 'key forward' though on Saturday night?

He led and marked and kicked a goal. Has size and pace on his side and appears to know where to run to get free.
Yep he did everything that a 6 footer could do on Saturday night. Had nothing to do with height. God knows why we are going on about it though as Zac will play FB next week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Yep he did everything that a 6 footer could do on Saturday night. Had nothing to do with height. God knows why we are going on about it though as Zac will play FB next week.
Let's see how Kosi and Roo go.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

A lot of people are predicting a tight sort of game. Ok that might happen.

But I see no reason why we can't kick away and be cruising 6 or 7 goals up in the last.

Then we can give some guys an early bath.

Dunno, maybe I'm fired up after watching Heathens...