Riewoldt to Full Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Did u guys watch any games this year or are u still watching the 2009 dvd highlights package?

Roo can't go on as he is going. As inker saint says - something has to. Give.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:Agree move him to FF but leave his body shape as is. Also tell him he is not to lead outside the 50m arc because too often the ball turns over quickly and we have nobody home......
Interesting one this. Riewoldt (and Milne, Schneider) do venture outside the 50m arc - to help get the ball into the F50, esp when they're down.
Then hope the high HF run back in...

Not much good stacking the Fwd line with all the stars - if the ball is not coming in there.

Hold your ground :shock:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Did u guys watch any games this year or are u still watching the 2009 dvd highlights package?

Roo can't go on as he is going. As inker saint says - something has to. Give.
I'm happy to let our brilliant new coach have a crack at sorting it out 8-)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He basically plays FF and CHF anyway.
Those days are gone and I fully expect the new coach to do something about what has been a problem for several years now.

Thanks heavens we're going to get some fresh ideas into the place.

I reckon Roo will have a lot of pressure taken off him ... as should have happened a long time ago.

Might end up at chb or even wing :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He basically plays FF and CHF anyway.
Those days are gone and I fully expect the new coach to do something about what has been a problem for several years now.

Thanks heavens we're going to get some fresh ideas into the place.

I reckon Roo will have a lot of pressure taken off him ... as should have happened a long time ago.

Might end up at chb or even wing :wink:
Expect to be disappointed again. He is and will always be a forward. People hoping for a completely different side will be disappointed in either 2 ways. Not a great deal will change or we will change a lot and finish outside the 8.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Expect to be disappointed again. He is and will always be a forward. People hoping for a completely different side will be disappointed in either 2 ways. Not a great deal will change or we will change a lot and finish outside the 8.
Times are changing Plugger whether Riewoldt likes it or not. You'll see. A lot will change or we will miss the eight.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Why don't we offer Pratt some cash, I heard North are waiting and seeing at the moment, he is a big forward in the Cloke mold. Just about the only doubt is how many games he misses. If we have one more crack he would be a nice sit along side NR.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

you actually need to say the opp of what you think
that way when plugg disagrees with your opinion he is actually agreeing with it
:D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:you actually need to say the opp of what you think
Will be like a costanza moment for me.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The funny thing is his cousin Jack works beautifully doing the roll of a full forward. Makes leads coming out, can take contested and uncontested marks which usually leads to a goal. Pretty much the same physique as Nick. Has me asking the question: why? Interesting. There is no doubt Rooey is a star, but what else can he do to make himself more dangerous, and better still, less predictable?
Last edited by St. Luke on Wed 28 Sep 2011 1:35am, edited 1 time in total.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

GOLD

the do everything opp to what i would normally do

ahhh george....classic

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The teams chances of success don't necessarily hinge on playing blokes in different positions. I reckon the changes don't need to be radical for our core group of stars and we can be successful if we plan for success. We know the coaching staff and medical staff need to get their planning right for Roo and Lenny and here's my two bobs...

If Saints think about team success rather than player bonuses for games played we might be half a chance. Have a close look at the Cats lead up in '09 and also have a look at veterans and the management of the current Cats playing list this year. I reckon Balmey and some of the sports science and footy dep't may have played a role here. Let's emulate what Leigh Matthews did so well with his stars leading up to finals and with his big blokes especially.

Give opportunities to the whole playing list and plan the year out once the fixture is known. Be confident that we will make finals and rest your stars throughout the year to have them cherry ripe at the business end. Look at factors like the hardness of grounds and perhaps try not have Roo playing on Etihad for 3 or 4 consecutive games. Break it up or simply rest some of our stars and prevent them from playing on the ground if it's against the bottom teams.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:you actually need to say the opp of what you think
So you actually think he could become a monster forward? You are one strange cat.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The very least change I can forsee to Riewoldt's role is the introduction of another strong key forward (possibly Walsh) to help him out.

But who knows, the new bloke might decide he likes Goddard at chf, Walsh at ff and Rooey on the wing.

Personally I'd also unburden Riewoldt of the captaincy to see if he can regain some of the spark that was sadly lacking most of this season.

But one thing is certain. We cannot go into another season allowing him to be our sole big target being crunched by three blokes every time he contests.

Even if he somehow gets it, his kicking is dubious at the best of times and can be poor under pressure.

It's a proven failure and doesn't pay off in goals on the board.

I'll be disappointed if the new coach brings a "steady as she goes" attitude. In fact it will convince me that we have the wrong candidate.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 28 Sep 2011 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

who should become a monster forward?
roo?

no plugger
no i dont

im strange huh
you just pulled that one out of thin air
i havent said anything about roo being ff
i reckon ive said id like to see him at centre half forward about half a dozen times tho over the last two years

im guessing youll disagree with that

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:who should become a monster forward?
roo?

no plugger
no i dont

im strange huh
you just pulled that one out of thin air
i havent said anything about roo being ff
i reckon ive said id like to see him at centre half forward about half a dozen times tho over the last two years

im guessing youll disagree with that
Of course he will. Not only is he always right, you're always wrong :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

got no prob being wrong, or admitting it, like most people
how do you learn otherwise?

then you get the ones that just disagree with 95% of everything
makes for interesting reading anyway

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote:I'm not sure that it is the running that is his problem - more likely the constant battering of tunnelling and triple-teaming that is destabilising him when he is playingnear goal.

I would rather see him run relatively free of a tag and deliver to the forwards from about the centre. (He is a good and accurate kick from that distance when on the move.)
cant see that happenning. they have tried him midfield to no avail.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:got no prob being wrong, or admitting it, like most people

Maybe you will get this into your brain once and for all. I only comment when I disagree with people. If I agree I dont do a plus one sign like some do. The funny thing is you are having a go at me but you agree with me. Very strange indeed.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:got no prob being wrong, or admitting it, like most people

Maybe you will get this into your brain once and for all. I only comment when I disagree with people. If I agree I dont do a plus one sign like some do. The funny thing is you are having a go at me but you agree with me. Very strange indeed.
+1

Oh, and +1 to matrix also 8-)

Nikky Rixon
Club Player

Its getting to the point where do we play him , hes beyond doubt an unbeatable mark one on one, but hes always got 2 or 3 at him trying to spoil him , and hate to say hes tried everything with set shots and he has failed at set shots dead in front if we get FEVOLA (we should ) , id play him down back next to Taff Clarke and Panther Sam Gilbert . Ross Lyon can take all the demons with him , fresh start next year WE SHOULD BE WHERE GEELONG AND COLLINGWOOD are this squad should be peaking now

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I dont know, perhaps use him in the same way he won 5 best and fairests....seemed to work

Use him more effectively

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt to Full Forward

Con Gorozidis wrote:I pushed this barrow in summer last year and was met with howls of protest from the usual change resisitant culprits.

Why oh why would you move the worlds best CHF from his preferred position they bawled and wah wah wah.

Ill tell you why - He has dodgy hammies and bunged knees and if you want him to stick around for a few years longer you cant possibly expect him to travel the distances and maintain the endurance base that he has done in the past. If he does his demise will be short and brutal.

If I was coach Id want him to stay closer to goal and do more damage with less of the ball and covering less ground.

Id introduce him to the new conditioning coach and tell him as much as it sucks - I want you doing squats, cleans and leg press and some good old fashioned bench press. Bullk him up a bit with less focus on endurance running.

Id then say to Walsh and Stanley - ok lads - enough faffing around - your apprenticeships are officially over. I expect you to be taking responsibility as senior players now. So step the f*ck up because you are going to be covering a lot of ground as key pivots around the CHF position.
can we really afford to be relying on someone who sprays the ball all over the place when he does get it....if he's double and triple teamed then there should be other targets

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PJ
SS Life Member

Undoubtedly there will be changes to players roles/positions when a new coach comes. In the case of Riewoldt he may want a fresh focus to work on and perhaps he could do a role at CHB. It all depends on what you replace him with - at present we don't have a tried replacement so you have to go with an entirely new set up. Likelyhood is that he/they will do some tweeking with the forward line but you'd be a brave man to take Riewoldt out of there altogether.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:but you'd be a brave man to take Riewoldt out of there altogether.
Well let's hope we get one who is brave enough to go with what he thinks will work and to discard what he thinks won't.

Otherwise you might as well make Riewoldt captain/coach.