salary cap pressure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Just listening to AW on the internet...thought Lenny was going to be on? Caro keeps going on about our salary cap pressure, Sheahan keeps mentioning it.

I really struggle to understand why. How do Carlton, Essendon, and Collingwood always seem to have the inside run on players in the market? Always amazes me.

Either BS or something is wrong.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Was Lovett's pay out included in the cap? I thought it was, but I seem to recall we had to get a nod from the AFL.
yes it was afaicr

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Was Lovett's pay out included in the cap? I thought it was, but I seem to recall we had to get a nod from the AFL.
yes it was afaicr
was that part of this years cap or last year?

villasaint
Club Player

dont believe any of that shyte, if we move someone on it wont be because of the salary cap.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Start paying Riewoldt 50k per goal and minus 50k per point and all pressure would intantly disappear!

saintnick12
Club Player

Caro said again on Footy Classifieds last night that we want to get our payments down to the low 90's in terms of Total Player Payments. I think Barrett said that also. Seemed to be relating it to us being short of cash. But seriously, no clubs who are are competing for flags are paying low 90's - nearly all are right at the top..pushing and having to juggle all the time. That's what comes from having so many top end players and players making all australian, playing in GF's etc. Just doesn't make sense to me. Yes we may be having to make some adjustments to get under the cap, but if we are going to cut players and get down to low 90's we may as well forget another push at top 4. Low 90's is for building teams, not serious contenders.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

why would we go to low 90s in TPP when the AFL gave us an extra $2m per year for the next 3 years ... some of which is to help subsidise player payments and the rest to help us spend more on our football department.

I am sure that we will end up paying around 97% or 98% (allowing for injury payments if we have to elevate and play a rookie) ...

So perhaps we are trying to reduce our TPP in 2012 so we can land a big name player either this year (via Trade) or next year (via free agency) as perhaps the only justification ...

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Just listening to AW on the internet...thought Lenny was going to be on? Caro keeps going on about our salary cap pressure, Sheahan keeps mentioning it.

I really struggle to understand why. How do Carlton, Essendon, and Collingwood always seem to have the inside run on players in the market? Always amazes me.

Either BS or something is wrong.
Yes, strange isn't it.

Funny how all the"Loyalest" footballers are all Filth players. :roll:

Cloke, pendleberry and thomas would all be getting at LEAST double anywhere else.

At least there's NO funny Busines going on there... :roll: