Why cant the stars take a pay cut?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Parrot_Rosie
Club Player

Re: Why cant the stars take a pay cut?

8856brother wrote:
Parrot_Rosie wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Why cant the stars take a pay cut? Players like Reiwodlt Goddard & Montagna had pretty ordinary years yet they will still receive rudiculous payments next year whilst their mates are being forced out to other clubs. Time for these so called stars to get together and collectively take pay cuts for the betterment of the club and their team mates!
Reiwoldt should take the lead here as captain. I'm guessing he is on $800,000 per year. The way he has performed the last couple of years he should be on no more than $550,000 for 2012. That would fix our our salary cap problems straight away.
Don't you think his 8 or 9 prior fantastic years including 5 B & F's might have something to do with what he gets paid. And what do yoiu mean by the past COUPLE OF YEARS? He missed 12 or 13 weeks in 2010.

You're a clown Helen.
He missed 12 or 13 weeks in 2010 and he also did nothing in both GF's. :evil: No one should be on that sort of money. No one.
Last edited by Parrot_Rosie on Fri 14 Oct 2011 12:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why do you think we have been a top side since 2004? It was because we were forced into a full rebuild. With the Tim Watson debacle and then the Malcolm Blight debacle our beloved St kilda was on the canvas down and out. We won 11 games in 3 seasons and in that time we scummed up 5 top 10 picks and 3 top 20 picks. Through our own ineptitude we were forced to do a major rebuild and that was the catalyst for sustained excellence over the last 8 years.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why cant the stars take a pay cut?

Parrot_Rosie wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Parrot_Rosie wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Why cant the stars take a pay cut? Players like Reiwodlt Goddard & Montagna had pretty ordinary years yet they will still receive rudiculous payments next year whilst their mates are being forced out to other clubs. Time for these so called stars to get together and collectively take pay cuts for the betterment of the club and their team mates!
Reiwoldt should take the lead here as captain. I'm guessing he is on $800,000 per year. The way he has performed the last couple of years he should be on no more than $550,000 for 2012. That would fix our our salary cap problems straight away.
Don't you think his 8 or 9 prior fantastic years including 5 B & F's might have something to do with what he gets paid. And what do yoiu mean by the past COUPLE OF YEARS? He missed 12 or 13 weeks in 2010.

You're a clown Helen.
He missed 12 or 13 weeks in 2010 and he also did nothing in both GF's. :evil: No was should he be on that soet of money. No one should.
Who is on what $$$$ at the Bummers?? They haven't got a player good enough to polish Nick's boots. That would put their best player on aprox $150k.

TBH, if everyone took 5%, not just the best/highest rated players taking cuts, then that should leave enough to fit everyone in imo.

We really really need to resign Dempster, thats my first priority, then Walsh, then the rest.

If Gram and Raph need to be moved on to free up salary cap and the right offers came along, we'll so be it I guess.

That or the players take a pay cut for each other to play for themselves/clubs.

Otherwise, leave for the cash, and be forgotten in history.

Be a great team (look at Geelong, will be remembered in history for a long time), or be a single man player who left to chase $$$.

Money comes and goes, its not like their poor.
Secondly, there are people out there who have to pay to play.

groupie1
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
groupie1 wrote:You got a bloke with the ability to run around 3-4 blokes, evade a tackle or two, spin on a dime, break clear - all with ball in hand - then identify a team mate 50 meters away, moving, and kick it to him right in the slot (predicting where he'll be when the ball gets there) in a split second under heavy traffic and knowing you'll get smashes as soon as you dispose of it, if not before. And do that for 2 hours, a handful of times, every week.
+ endorsements
+ service agreements
+ he'll get truckload from the media post-career.
+ if he wants to coach, he'll earn another packet

Our game is played in ONE country of less than 25 million. Compare apples with apples - what country of a similar population pays its own players so well?
Canada. Hockey.
Most European countries of a similar size. Football.
You asked the question in the wrong way.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont believe our players should be expected to take pay cuts, but I can see the value of having performace goals as part of their contract. For instance the top three paid players should be expected to feature in the top 5 in the Best & Fairest. That sort of thing.

linz
Club Player

They may need to appoint a coach before Monday who can then ask the question to ALL players: Are you prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice
(ie $) to achieve the ultimate prize (a flag).

Unfortunately our previous coach left us in a way which leaves bile in the mouth and resentment in the minds of our players. Lyon asked for total commitment, total discipline, total resolve until the business was finished.. He left for more money; and they would be thinking: why should I take a pay cut?

Unfortunately Cat and Pie players are willing to make sacrifices to hold their lists. Maybe we need a few prominent players to lead the way. :?

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:They may need to appoint a coach before Monday who can then ask the question to ALL players: Are you prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice

Unfortunately our previous coach left us in a way which leaves bile in the mouth and resentment in the minds of our players. Lyon asked for total commitment, total discipline, total resolve until the business was finished.. He left for more money; and they would be thinking: why should I take a pay cut?

Unfortunately Cat and Pie players are to maintain their list. Maybe we need a few prominent players to lead the way. :?
They won flags. We are on the way down. No one should be slightly expected to take a pay cut. And no coach would be silly enough to ask them to take one.

linz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
linz wrote:They may need to appoint a coach before Monday who can then ask the question to ALL players: Are you prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice

Unfortunately Cat and Pie players are to maintain their list. Maybe we need a few prominent players to lead the way. :?
They won flags. We are on the way down. No one should be slightly expected to take a pay cut. And no coach would be silly enough to ask them to take one.
Funny thing is, at this time last year Geelong had lost their coach and their best player and had the oldest playing list for decades to challenge for a flag. Everyone had written them off. Does that sound familiar?
What happened?
They won the flag.
You know why?
They made sacrifices and accepted silly requests from management for pay cuts in order to hold the list together. Losing Ablett to Gold Coast helped salary cap pressure as well.
Hound me down, but I believe we should be seeking 3 under 12 1st round draft picks for Goddard NOW from GWS and re-load for next year and beyond.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
groupie1
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I dont believe our players should be expected to take pay cuts, but I can see the value of having performace goals as part of their contract. For instance the top three paid players should be expected to feature in the top 5 in the Best & Fairest. That sort of thing.
I agree, and over the long term, better players earn more. But if you propose a more specific idea of top 5 finish to get your bonus kinda thing, first of all, isn't a performance component a part of every footballer's contract? I don't know, I'm not arguing, it's a straight question.

I tend to think they are significantly underpaid. I think they should be paid according to how much money they earn for the club. So, broadcasting fees, minus 5% for admin and 5% for junior development (or whatever it should be), the rest divided by 18 clubs. A salary cap and draft as per already in place, and all clubs then have the right to sell memberships, tickets, sweaters etc to pay their support staff. Most successful/popular clubs then are rewarded with more coaching staff and better facilities, placing them in superior positions to win premierships.

I have no idea of the numbers, but if broadcasting is worth a billion dollars a year, then it's about 50 million per club per year in player salaries - which to me sees Riewoldt and Judd earning 5-6-7 mill a year, and the lower ranked players earning 700-800K. That, to me, looks like a fair deal given the audience numbers. Currently, the salary cap is less than 10 mil?

Someone help me out with numbers here.

groupie1
Club Player

I have done some numbers research.

The AFL will be paid $1.253 billion from the 2012-16 seasons, from Foxtel, 7, and Telstra (for mobile streaming).

This works out to something like 250 million per year, or roughly $14 Million per club.
So my numbers were high, as it turns out, but if the clubs get the gates, memberships, guernsey sales etc; and the broadcast fees, minus junior footy and admin - and all broadcast rights go as player payments, we get a 14 million dollar salary cap, almost double the current 8 or so. There are other issues, like renting the stadiums, gate losses, etc.