Like the sound of...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shmic_s
Club Player

My ideal senario would result in:

25. Todd Elton (Ruck/Fwd)
35. Andrew Boseley (Back)
37. Mitch Grigg (Mid)
42. Kyal Horsley (Mid)
60. Alex Woodward (Mid)
68. Beau Dowler (Back/Fwd)
72. Blake

* Revised best case. Manson to bigger risk, Dowler on senior list.
Last edited by shmic_s on Thu 24 Nov 2011 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:My strategy for the draft is to rubbish every single player we draft regardless of how good they are in the knowledge that at least two wont make it.

Then in two years time I can start a thread telling everyone how great I was for picking the duds.

Works for a few people around here.
+1.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Gershwin
Club Player

shmic_s wrote:My ideal senario would result in:

37. Mitch Grigg (Mid/HB)
42. Kyal Horsley (Mid)
60. Waylen Manson (Fwd)
68. Jackson Paine (Fwd)
72. Blake

Think we would go with Dowler on the rookie list.
But then he can only get a game from a long term injury.
I think we are pretty desperate for KPP's and might need to have him on the senior list.

summertime and the living is easy ........
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Massive task trying to predict..........(think Kersten, Elton, Grigg and maybe Talia could be gone

25 - Jordan Lockyer 192 / 86 KP
35 - Alex Woodward 175 / 80 mid
37 - Jackson Paine 191 / 92 KP
42 - Josh Waldhuter/Sam Kerridge/Kyal Horsley - mids
60 - Kyal Horsley/Kyal Hartigan
68 - Ruck, young or recycled otherwise Rookie list (hope they take Sellar)
76 - Jason Blake
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 23 Nov 2011 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it is ruckmen take time to develop so they aint going to help us for 3 to 4 years so our first pick should be the best mid available. They develop quicker and are more important then any other player these days. Get one experienced ruckman later and rookie one. Get mainly mids with one key forward and one key back if possible.

Gershwin
Club Player

Totally agree with this strategy.

summertime and the living is easy ........
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

re elton:
thirty-seven!? wrote:He ran sub-3 second 20m sprint, which is awesome for a guy his size. Also did very well in the jumping test and beep, etc.

But, he lacks intensity and went backwards this year, which isn't a great sign.
sounds a lot like rhys stanley, who we already have...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Should NEVER make the mistake of drafting for immediate needs.....

in the draft you MUST take a long term veiw....look at the future needs of the list....we are taking 6 kids......they will have minimal impact on our team in the short term, perhaps one will shine......the others will naturally take time...

surely you identify the 27-30range when drafting (in effect youer best players) and look at succession planning with the draft.....NOT hole filling, you cannot hole fill with unknown quantities anyway, as draft picks are...

And Joffa,

Which is it d**khead....one minute you critisise for being too quick to bag draftees, then you accuse of waiting two years until there failure is known before announcing it???

which one???

You have cried like a f***ing sook when I have bagged any draft choices.....and have yet you have yet to prove me wrong...on any..
so get a clue first, then get some consistency, and then prove me wrong ..... and then I will actually take some notice of you pathetic CHEAP SHOTS....

BTW

what was your actualy contribution to this thread????
Because everyone else had some really valid points.....you just showed yourself to be a pathetic sniper as usual...

in summation
F*** OFF

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Is it just me, or is this draft showing future Brownlow medallists and Norm Smiths all the way down to pick 70? I've read quite a few Phantom Drafts and articles, and far from being a weak draft, there are guns all the way through....or that's what people would have you believe.

Draft prospects are pumped every year, but I don't think to the same extent as this year.

Anyway....look forward to who we get. They all sound great!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Is it just me, or is this draft showing future Brownlow medallists and Norm Smiths all the way down to pick 70? I've read quite a few Phantom Drafts and articles, and far from being a weak draft, there are guns all the way through....or that's what people would have you believe.

Draft prospects are pumped every year, but I don't think to the same extent as this year.

Anyway....look forward to who we get. They all sound great!
Pretty sure it is always the same. There is no doubt it is a weak draft. It has to be due to losing players a year before the draft actually happened. You can still get the gems though. Lets hope Elshaug is better than Peake. He put us back just about 3 years with very poor drafting.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Our recruiting has been shocking of late that's for sure. You are always going to get people who don't fulfill their potential, but you would hope you would get 50% about right. Wouldn't put a percentage on our recent efforts.

Plus our ability to develop talent and give it an opportunity has been poor. We are addressing it, but the admittance of a poor relationship with our VFL partner has meant that some didn't have much of a chance. Feel sorry for some of the kids delisted in the last 2-3 years. They were probably on the margins, but never really got developed. Getting games was a whole other story. Hard when the team was at the top.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Should NEVER make the mistake of drafting for immediate needs.....

in the draft you MUST take a long term veiw....look at the future needs of the list....we are taking 6 kids......they will have minimal impact on our team in the short term, perhaps one will shine......the others will naturally take time...

surely you identify the 27-30range when drafting (in effect youer best players) and look at succession planning with the draft.....NOT hole filling, you cannot hole fill with unknown quantities anyway, as draft picks are...

And Joffa,

Which is it d**khead....one minute you critisise for being too quick to bag draftees, then you accuse of waiting two years until there failure is known before announcing it???

which one???

You have cried like a f***ing sook when I have bagged any draft choices.....and have yet you have yet to prove me wrong...on any..
so get a clue first, then get some consistency, and then prove me wrong ..... and then I will actually take some notice of you pathetic CHEAP SHOTS....

BTW

Because everyone else had some really valid points.....you just showed yourself to be a pathetic sniper as usual...

in summation
F*** OFF
Where is the popcorn :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
BigMart wrote:Should NEVER make the mistake of drafting for immediate needs.....

And Joffa,

which one???

BTW

in summation
F*** OFF

Ha ha Joffaboy got in trouble.

As for the draft strategy. I have no idea.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

And Joffa,

which one???

BTW

in summation
F*** OFF

Ha ha Joffaboy got in trouble.

As for the draft strategy. I have no idea.
well in fairness to St Mart he actully contributes to football talk on a football forum... 3 guesses who was first to post the usual baiting bulls#!t... kind of sad to see a grown man follow someone round a football forum taking pot shots

now that my dig is done... i'll apologise for also not contributing... I don't know much about the juniors hence enjoy reading threads like these. Keep up the good work guys

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

A mature age prospect that hasn't been mentioned around here is Cameron Shenton

Here's some more info :

DOB: 27th September 1990

Nickname: Shents / Humphrey / The Panther

Position: Forward

Height: 186cm

Weight: 80kg

Another product of the Norwood FC junior development system, Cameron is a super quick forward who can play as a wingman. He is a very good kick for goal & an exceptional mark on a lead. A quite lad, Cameron has an opportunity to develop into a senior regular over the coming seasons if he continues to work hard on his game.

Comes from the same club as Puopolo,Duigan and Lower who ahve all made smooth transitions into AFL

Has been strongly linked to us Essendon and Geelong

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6195813606

Pelchen may have him in mind

P.s - kicked 43 goals in 17 games as a winger cum forward

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

shmic_s wrote:My ideal senario would result in:

37. Mitch Grigg (Mid/HB)
42. Kyal Horsley (Mid)
60. Waylen Manson (Fwd)
68. Jackson Paine (Fwd)
72. Blake

Think we would go with Dowler on the rookie list.
No more sleeps!
I very much like the look of most of that list of your, too. I think we could do a lot worse than that.
As I've said previously, if there are any "talls" that we really believe are likely to be successful and play 150+ games, then I think the sooner we get them the better, as they generally take a few years to start producing consistently and Roo, Kosi and Sammy Fish are getting far too close to 30 for comfort (and we've lost Zac, Tommy, Johnson and Cahill). If there are some decent ones now and we don't get them when we have the chance, we could have some major deficiencies in about 3 years.
With the re-signings of all of Farren, Gram, Peake and Polo, plus of course Lenny (who we're apparently hoping to play for several more years!), Dal, BJ, Monty, Jack, Armo, Ledger, Cripps, Crocker and Schneider (who could play mid more, if Saad holds down a forward role), I think we have enough "mids"/"runners" (I named 14) to not need to be hoping to get another one with our first pick, with the hopes they'll make a significant impact next year.
I think our main priority needs to be to shore up our spine for about 3-4 years down the track, if there is someone worth getting when we have our picks.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If we should be recruiting according to our needs than we need to recruit for our forward line - as that has been our problem.

The remedy -
quick mid sized players that will kick goals and also provide the forward pressure (chasing and tackling) that we lack.

We need to improve in 2 areas - more goals & more forward pressure if we want to improve on last year.

So I hope and trust the recruiters are focussed on that... and find the right players... which need to be mid sized, no more smalls please !
Last edited by samoht on Thu 24 Nov 2011 11:21am, edited 2 times in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:. I don't know much about the juniors hence enjoy reading threads like these. Keep up the good work guys

+1... :wink:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:If we should be recruiting according to our needs than we need to recruit for our forward line - as that has been our problem.

The remedy -
quick mid sized players that will kick goals and also provide the forward pressure (chasing and tackling) that we lack.

We need to improve in 2 areas - more goals & more forward pressure if we want to improve on last year.

So I hope and trust the recruiters are focussed on that... and find the right players... which need to be mid sized, no more smalls please !
Last year we focused on mids this year we need some talls. Ideally at least one tall forward, back and ruck. Then a couple of mids.

Does anyone know much about that tassie forward, Dobez i think his name is. He may be a good selection at 42.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:If we should be recruiting according to our needs than we need to recruit for our forward line - as that has been our problem.

The remedy -

Surely Siposs fits the bill for "mid-sized" and Saad very much ticks the box for "forward pressure", so I think one or two who we believe are likely to succeed at either FF or CHF are the priority (up forward).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: Surely Siposs fits the bill for "mid-sized" and Saad very much ticks the box for "forward pressure", so I think one or two who we believe are likely to succeed at either FF or CHF are the priority (up forward).
Saad is on the small side . Sure he will provide forward pressure but I'm not sure how the Schneider, Milne , Saad, Ledger thing will work...in terms of balance.
They can't all be in the forward line simultaneously... that's two thirds of our forward line.

So we need to complement things within our forward line by taking out a small or two and substituting them with quick, mid sized goal kickers -- quick strong body types who are ready to go next year .. who can kick goals and chase and tackle. If there's a mature age recruit or 2 that fits the bill we should target them... (I don't know if there is by the way).

Eventually Siposs will probably make it as a medium forward.. but if there some ready to go with strong bodies - we should prioritise them..

If we had a Steve Johnson (or even a line breaking goalkicker like Varcoe).. we would have 3 premierships now... and RL would have got all the credit.

shmic_s
Club Player

samoht wrote: If we had a Steve Johnson .. we would have 3 premierships now... and RL would have got all the credit.
3?! I'll go with 2. :wink:

Milera, Siposs are two we have recruited lately for this role.
Maybe another mid size forward in the draft.

I feel we should take 3 talls (fwd/back/ruck) and 3 mids.
Early picks, take the best available.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:
samoht wrote: If we had a Steve Johnson .. we would have 3 premierships now... and RL would have got all the credit.

As long as 1 of the 3 mids can play forward, is quick and can kick goals and has a mature body I'd be happy with that.
No more smalls or slight builds... we have too many already.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

As long as 1 of the 3 mids can play forward, is quick and can kick goals and has a mature body I'd be happy with that.
No more smalls or slight builds... we have too many already.
Marley Williams sounds like your man

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Josh Waldhuter is an absolute animal in this highlights package. A bit of Armo/Hamill about him. The afl.com phantom have him selected at 54. Might be worth a look IMO.

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/co ... fault.aspx