GWS compo rules - BJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Eastern wrote:The way I see it. Pendlebury would be GWS's FIRST Target, followed by BJ. After that, who knows. Let's just hope they snag Pendlebury and leave BJ to play out his career at the saints !!
Daisy Thomas would be on their radar as well - right age demographic and more suited to GWS then BJ IMO.

If I had to guess I doubt BJ will be going anywhere.
Pretty sure Daisy is signed for 2 years though.
Correct

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 1jpbv.html

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gurubob101
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:Old Mate: "IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player."

Pendlebury is a one paced midfielder who can't mark, can't play in any other position and has very little defensive side to his game... the poor man's Lenny. Goddard is an inspirational footballer who can play just about anywhere and has an outstanding record over a number of years as a genuine star of the game. Quite frankly I think you're wrong.
LOL

Pendlebury is Nick Dal Santo and a bit more
Possibly you're right about Dal as he has exactly the same weaknesses as Pendlebury but is a worse shot for goal. Neither of them is as complete as a footballer as Goddard.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:Old Mate: "IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player."

Pendlebury is a one paced midfielder who can't mark, can't play in any other position and has very little defensive side to his game... the poor man's Lenny. Goddard is an inspirational footballer who can play just about anywhere and has an outstanding record over a number of years as a genuine star of the game. Quite frankly I think you're wrong.
LOL

Possibly you're right about Dal as he has exactly the same weaknesses as Pendlebury but is a worse shot for goal. Neither of them is as complete as a footballer as Goddard.
Perhaps not, and I was probably a bit harsh with the LOL, but Pendlebury is an absolute gun.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gurubob101
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

LOL

Perhaps not, and I was probably a bit harsh with the LOL, but Pendlebury is an absolute gun.
Well we'll find that out for sure when Pendlebury's playing with GWS.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Michael Hurley is another who only signed until the end of 2012 that you'd think they would chase

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

We are more likely to lose Goddard under free agency as he will have served 10 years and he can go to the highest bidder and we have no chance to match the offer. We can all assume the Blues will find some way to finally get BJ by bending the salary cap rules and the compensation we will receive will be nothing compared to what is being ofered by GWS ....

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:We are more likely to lose Goddard under free agency as he will have served 10 years and he can go to the highest bidder and we have no chance to match the offer. We can all assume the Blues will find some way to finally get BJ by bending the salary cap rules and the compensation we will receive will be nothing compared to what is being ofered by GWS ....
Carlton keeps coming up because it is well known that BJ was a huge Blues fan before we drafted him. And because he was going to them right up to the point they got done for cheating.

So people will always think he still wants to get there, or that they want to eventually claim what they see as rightfully theres.

But Carlton will surely be facing their own salary cap issues in the coming years with their stable of #1 draft picks all blossoming and demanding more cash.

And don't just assume they'll continue to be allowed to get away with shonky Judd type deals in the future.

All we can do is pay him what we can afford to pay him and do our best to ensure we are a professionally run club with a realistic prospect of playing finals footy.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I am very confident he will got to GW$

Faulky
Club Player

Everyone talks of BJ going to GWS, he is eligible for free agency next year so he can walk into any club. I would rather he stay with us.

FOUNDATION Social Club Member!
ThePunter
Club Player

Unrestricted free agents have to test the market as restricted free agents after eight years of service to be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

My understanding that the only team than can acquire Goddard at the end of 2012 without directly dealing with St Kilda or getting Goddard through the draft would be GWS.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought Pendlebury is a much more attractive target being 3 years younger…

By the time GWS are challenging, BJ's best footy will be well and truly behind him - he'll be 28 in their first season and there aren't too many 30 year olds getting around anymore

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I would have thought Pendlebury is a much more attractive target being 3 years younger…

By the time GWS are challenging, BJ's best footy will be well and truly behind him - he'll be 28 in their first season and there aren't too many 30 year olds getting around anymore
Then why did GC get Ablett. Sometimes you get a very good player so others can learn off him. I still dont get why people think it is one or the other. Surely if they manage the salary cap properly they could get both. Neither may want to go there. Its all guess work.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Incoming....

If BigNote now gets involved it'll be on between him and lookatme66 and then this thread will be locked as well...

Stay tuned.... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Incoming....

If BigNote now gets involved it'll be on between him and lookatme66 and then this thread will be locked as well...

Stay tuned.... :roll:
I fully agree, i hate shitfights.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Unrestricted free agents have to test the market as restricted free agents after eight years of service to be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

My understanding that the only team than can acquire Goddard at the end of 2012 without directly dealing with St Kilda or getting Goddard through the draft would be GWS.
Is this true? I have not read this before that to become a 10 year unrestricted agent you MUST have tested the market as a restricted agent after 8 years.

Can anyone clarify?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Rosco
Club Player

not much info around these rules, but this is what i can find:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
5. A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula.

Rosco
Club Player

also look at this one:
3. A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the 10 highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club has the right to match the presented offer.

If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.

If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.
doesn't apply to BJ, but if a club can match an offer made for a player the player can still enter the pre-season? draft. so if a club doesn't match the offer they can get compensation, but if they do match it but lose the player via the draft anyway, they don't get compensation. interesting.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

staying
one club player 8-)