Favourite 90's home and away game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bozza1980
Club Player

The first game I ever went to was in the 90's, 1991 against the Bears at the Gabba. What not to love, the Saints got a bigger cheer running onto the ground than the bears got, Plugger kicked 10, the Saints got up by 50 odd points.

Two games against the Bulldogs at Waverley stick out.

1998 Rd 15 or 16, solid win, reclaiming top spot.

Not sure what round but in 1999, Tony Francis snapped one across his shoulder late to put us in front, we kicked another after the siren to make it 8 points.

1997 Prelim Final would have to be my favourite game from the 90's though.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Superboot
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:1995 (or maybe 1996) vs Carlton when they lost 2 games for year and from memory we won about 2 games. Think we won quite comfortably in end aswell. Just remember noone gave as a chance (and fair enough to)
Think it was 1995.

And the day Rod Keogh switched off Mil Hanna's lights :wink:
It was pouring with rain and Carlton didn't kick their first goal until 19 minutes into the 3rd quarter :D :D

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

98 v West Coast at Subi - watched it at Flaming Mo's in Bentleigh -Stewie Loewe's pub
It was just like being there - still remember Stan going ballistic when we got in front - spit was flying everywhere and i'm tipping that the runner's ears are still ringing

V Swans - Mother's Day Massacre - SCG 1994 50+ points down - Frawley roving to Plugger, playing on about four blokes including Derek Kickett, and killing them all - including quite literally (nearly) Peter Caven

Collingwood at Vic Park 93

Best of all though was against the Hawks at Moorabbin 1990 - anyone who was at that game will never forget it. One of the best games the club has ever played in the Home and Aways.

mcadam05
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
Best of all though was against the Hawks at Moorabbin 1990 - anyone who was at that game will never forget it. One of the best games the club has ever played in the Home and Aways.
here you go :)

Can't forget the Winmar mark over Tuck

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Collingwood at Victoria Park in round 4 1993 was my best game by far! I had been to that hell hole many times and everytime we got flogged! This would be different and it was unreal. Collingwood hadn't lost a game for the season at that point and of course this was the Winmar lifting the jumper game! I was only 14 but I remember walking out of the ground waving my scarf above my head and one of those feral muppets hit me in the back of the head with something! What a great day! Just heaven to knock those sumbags off on there own dunghill!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that McAdam!

Schillaci
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Best of all though was against the Hawks at Moorabbin 1990 - anyone who was at that game will never forget it. One of the best games the club has ever played in the Home and Aways.
I'd forgotten that one. :oops:

I know I was there because I went to all Moorabin games back then and the only one I missed due to a birthday was v Carlton 1989 R2...another classic...Plugger kicked his 10th to put us in front with 30 seconds to go. Gutted I missed this one.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMFy4plOC-Y
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM

Schillaci
Club Player

Double post :wink:
Thought the Carlton game was worthy of a mention...even if not quite in the decade specified.
Last edited by Schillaci on Wed 11 Jan 2012 7:33am, edited 1 time in total.

Schillaci
Club Player

Triple post... :shock:

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Best of all though was against the Hawks at Moorabbin 1990 - anyone who was at that game will never forget it. One of the best games the club has ever played in the Home and Aways.[/quote]

I think we must have already been paying The Fly's salary the way he kicked at goal for the Hawks in the last few minutes :D

Saintsational Legend

The Hawthorn game in 1990 has possibly faded into a bit of insignificance as people tend to forget just how dominant they actually were. I think they played in something like 15 straight finals series, 8 or 9 Grand Finals, won something like 7 grand finals in 13 years and consistently finished on top of the ladder.
For younger Sainters, imagine if Geelong kept up this level of brilliance for another decade from now, and we lost to them 20 or 22 games in a row.
I also think that the games at Moorabbin were often played in front of fiercely partisan crowds and, especially when Lockett was on song, were intensively hostile towards the opposition and although we may not like to admit it, we were certainly easily as one eyed a venue as Collingwood at Vic Park. The crowd got a sniff of victory that day and got right behind the boys. Wins like this set us up for a much better season in 1991. Lockett himself told me once that playing at Moorabbin was great in the close ones.
That game sticks in my memory as the most satisfying home and away match because of all of those things.

Schillaci
Club Player

8856brother wrote:Best of all though was against the Hawks at Moorabbin 1990 - anyone who was at that game will never forget it. One of the best games the club has ever played in the Home and Aways.
I think we must have already been paying The Fly's salary the way he kicked at goal for the Hawks in the last few minutes :D[/quote]
Agreed...Morris won it for us playing for Hawthorn.
They certainly had their chances to beat us.
Enjoyed the link...nothing better than Moorabin when Plugger was on song and we won.

SMS
Club Player

1995, Waverly Park v CARLTON.

They were virtually unbeatable. Only lost twice in the whole year. Once was to US!! and by 10 goals in the wet!

I was on that side of the wing where keogh smashed hanna. Thing of beauty!

Still cant believe we lost 1997. We had a GREAT team just like 2009 ... why WHY WHHHYYYYY? how can we have such great teams and not win the bloody flag! We are cursed. Winmar, Harvey, Loewe, Burke, both wakelin brothers, coleman heatly, Jones! ARGHGARGHARGHAGARAGAHGAREAGAHAGARAGAHGARAGH!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
here you go :)

Can't forget the Winmar mark over Tuck
It's always hilarious to watch Ricky Nixon running around with his frizzy mullet trying to get an easy kick.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.