Kicking skills

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kicking skills

I don't buy the Jack can't kick conclusion. I suggest his accuracy in kicking for goal implies he has a sound technique. I reckon his problem in field kicking comes from his scurrying running style and a failure to balance/steady himself up before he kicks. That is a reflection, I think, of a <50 game player still coming to terms with playing at the top level and having had OP (which you don't get over in a flash - read Luke Ball's interviews on how long it took him). OP has a serious impact on kicking the footy, particularly when on the run, and Jack's will still be requiring management.
I liken him a bit to Dane Swan, who was a God awful field kick early, but still reasonable in front of goal. Swan's improved his field kicking somewhat, but he's still not great. I reckon Jack's basic technique is superior and he will get better. Way too early for the pot.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Sobraz wrote:...Evidence by the fact that Malthouse recruited Ball, who is not by any definition, a good kick...
You are joking. He kicks both feet and accurately, albeit no longer 50 metres. He is precisely the type of "get" that got them a flag.

He is not a good kick.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
Sobraz wrote:...Evidence by the fact that Malthouse recruited Ball, who is not by any definition, a good kick...
You are joking. He kicks both feet and accurately, albeit no longer 50 metres. He is precisely the type of "get" that got them a flag.

He is not a good kick.
Actually in the Collingwood side there are players who are almost the exact copy of both Stevens and Gilbert. Stevens is almost a Dane Swan clone, not at his level yet obviously, but the style and kicking effectiveness are very similar indeed. Sam Gilbert and Harry O'Brien are also very similar both run the ball out of defence and tend to blaze away long having absolutely no idea where the ball is going, somewhat like Gram as well.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Totally agree re Jack Steven and Dane Swan both have an odd running gate and look weird when kicking

But at times can be very effective/ineffective

I've noticed with Jack that he struggles to kick when under pressure (like most players)

but when given time can hit up a target more times than not

P.s - Luke Ball doesn't kick much but is very accurate, he is also a very good snap looking through the 2011 finals series