The difference 5 moths can make!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Re: The difference 5 moths can make!

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I reckon every clubs footy forums would be saying exactly the same thing. Why would we be any different. And many players were very upset when RL left especially the regulars but like any footy club the ones who werent getting a game were very happy. Now everyone is happy but in 6 weeks a few will not be again. That is how all footy clubs work whether AFL or local.
Cant see the Demons or Doggies supporters moaning about how s.hit their new coach is at this point of time either, so yes you are correct P66.

I am equally sure that Freo supporters would be pretty expectant as well.
All new coaches these days are very good at talking the talk. Neeld and McCartney have been equally impressive in their focus and their vision for their respective sides. Watters has been very good at this too, and maybe what has made it more pronounced is that the club had felt quite jaded last year after the accumulated heartbreak and off-field shenanigans.

At the end of the day though, all this talk goes out the window come round 1. Coaches get judged on their team's performances, not how well they speak in January/February.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Love to tell you but i would be making it up. Havent seen any players that I know since Xmas but i may be having a drink with one guy today. I will ask him if i see him and hopefully report how happy everything is.
update?

Most of the young guys are training the house down, the club is all up and about and probably a great move by the club and RL to have a new coach. Newnes and Ross are very impressive as first year players, ledger and Cripps leading the second year players. Attitude of older guys first rate. Heard it all before but Kosi looks fantastic. Only real injuries are Jimmy who should be right to go at round 6 and Winmar and one or two other minor ones. Wilkes will play FB at this stage. Ferguson and Simpkin will get chances in the Nab cup and dont back us when we go to Perth for the Nab cup. Many older players to miss.

wow for someone who frequently questions other ppl's sources it's almost like you've regurgitated posts from this very forum and are posting it with news

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Most of the young guys are training the house down, the club is all up and about and probably a great move by the club and RL to have a new coach. Newnes and Ross are very impressive as first year players, ledger and Cripps leading the second year players. Attitude of older guys first rate. Heard it all before but Kosi looks fantastic. Only real injuries are Jimmy who should be right to go at round 6 and Winmar and one or two other minor ones. Wilkes will play FB at this stage. Ferguson and Simpkin will get chances in the Nab cup and dont back us when we go to Perth for the Nab cup. Many older players to miss.

wow for someone who frequently questions other ppl's sources it's almost like you've regurgitated posts from this very forum and are posting it with news

Maybe I did or maybe I heard it first hand yesterday over a few drinks. At least I know the truth others can think what they please.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I am very confident this year if the players can be disciplined enough to stick to the game plan.

My greatest concern is whether Scotty is strong enough to keep the players focussed for the full season.

We should be better because:

Lenny is back
Roo starts the year injury free
BJ is over his niggle
Owl is a year older, wiser and stronger
Kosi has been trained to be a ruck forward rather than power forward
Jack Steven is ready to become an elite midfielder
Our elite midfield has Joey and Dal in their absolute prime
Saad, Ledger, Cripps, Newnes and Ross will add speed grunt and class
Wilkes can be a full back or full forward according to our needs
Blake Fisher Gilbert Gwilt are our defensive backbone
Siposs is ready to step up another notch and is dangerous

And we are over the mourning period post 2009 and 2010.

Our days of media controversy also appear over.

2012 can be our year

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Love to tell you but i would be making it up. Havent seen any players that I know since Xmas but i may be having a drink with one guy today. I will ask him if i see him and hopefully report how happy everything is.
update?

I just got off the phone with Nick and that is all crap. Gee Plugger.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
update?

I just got off the phone with Nick and that is all crap. Gee Plugger.

He wouldnt know. he has gone to Carlton.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Maybe I did or maybe I heard it first hand yesterday over a few drinks. At least I know the truth others can think what they please.
But when other ppl post similar things you feel the constant need to criticise and draw attention to validity

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[quote="skeptic]

But when other ppl post similar things you feel the constant need to criticise and draw attention to validity[/quote][/quote][/quote]

And your point is? Look I dont care if people believe or not and even care less if they question me so i work that way to. I question things that I believe may not be fully truthful but if it is so be it. I at least know I can look in the mirror and know what I said is true. Do I give a suff if others believe me, no.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: He wouldnt know. he has gone to Carlton.
Very good.. :lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote: He wouldnt know. he has gone to Carlton.
Very good.. :lol:
It was good wasnt it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[quote="skeptic]

But when other ppl post similar things you feel the constant need to criticise and draw attention to validity
[/quote][/quote]

And your point is? Look I dont care if people believe or not and even care less if they question me so i work that way to. I question things that I believe may not be fully truthful but if it is so be it. I at least know I can look in the mirror and know what I said is true. Do I give a suff if others believe me, no.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

you waste a lot of the forum's time with a double standard and you're a hypocrite... if this forum had a block function i'd bet you'd be close to the most blocked user I bet

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
you waste a lot of the forum's time with a double standard and you're a hypocrite... if this forum had a block function i'd bet you'd be close to the most blocked user I bet

It does. It has an ignore function. Use it if you dont like what I say and if you really think I would be upset if I was the most ignored then you really think I care about anonymous posters who dont know me or who I dont know. I care about friends and family and also about having a bit of fun on this forum. If no one reads what I write then so be it. It will be their loss as they wont learn about our great game.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It does. It has an ignore function. Use it if you dont like what I say and if you really think I would be upset if I was the most ignored then you really think I care about anonymous posters who dont know me or who I dont know. I care about friends and family and also about having a bit of fun on this forum. If no one reads what I write then so be it. It will be their loss as they wont learn about our great game.
Here Here

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

really? where is it?

PS I never said you'd care

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm amazed at the amount of supporters giving the club a big tick. We have achieved nothing and the players haven't even kicked a football in anger yet you would swear we have turned some sort of corner. Last year was a disaster from start to finish. We will have turned the corner when we end up in the top four and look like flag contenders. I understand it's the preseason and it's the season for clubs to self-promote and build as much propaganda as possible to sell memberships but please spare me the bullsh1te about having turned the corner. The whole football management department was replaced, and with the exception of a couple the people that were installed are untried and inexperienced people that have yet to prove what they've got.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I'm amazed at the amount of supporters giving the club a big tick. We have achieved nothing and the players haven't even kicked a football in anger yet you would swear we have turned some sort of corner. Last year was a disaster from start to finish. We will have turned the corner when we end up in the top four and look like flag contenders. I understand it's the preseason and it's the season for clubs to self-promote and build as much propaganda as possible to sell memberships but please spare me the bullsh1te about having turned the corner. The whole football management department was replaced, and with the exception of a couple the people that were installed are untried and inexperienced people that have yet to prove what they've got.

It's like the discussion we had a few months back about our impressions of all the new coaches based on an I/V in "Inside Football".

No one in their right mind will claim with certainty that coach x was a good choice and coach b was a bad one but you look at the available information and provide an opinion based on it to that time.

Watters may well be the worst decision we've ever made but to this point in time there's little evidence to suggest either way. What we know is:
- we'v had a reasonably scandle free off season
- no new injuries
- good feeling coming from the club
- hired a number of new assistants some of who are revered past saintsman
- new academy
- training reports are promising RE junior players

It feels like its been a great off-season. now we're just waiting on a major sponsor

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I'm amazed at the amount of supporters giving the club a big tick. We have achieved nothing and the players haven't even kicked a football in anger yet you would swear we have turned some sort of corner. Last year was a disaster from start to finish. We will have turned the corner when we end up in the top four and look like flag contenders. I understand it's the preseason and it's the season for clubs to self-promote and build as much propaganda as possible to sell memberships but please spare me the bullsh1te about having turned the corner. The whole football management department was replaced, and with the exception of a couple the people that were installed are untried and inexperienced people that have yet to prove what they've got.
To be a Saints supporter you must be optamistic IMO. If your not, I don't know how you can get through year to year with our history. I too am optamistic we have turned the corner. Whether we have or not time will tell.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
To be a Saints supporter you must be optamistic IMO. If your not, I don't know how you can get through year to year with our history. I too am optamistic we have turned the corner. Whether we have or not time will tell.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I tried to understand your post but no matter how many times I read it, it didn't make sense to me. When you have been a Saints supporter as long as I have then optimism is not something I would use to describe how I feel about a pending season, even over the last few years when we were teased, seduced and almost thought a flag was possible. For me, the pre-season needs an "Andrew Wilke" type pre-commitment mechanism on how much emotional commitment I'm prepared to invest.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I tried to understand your post but no matter how many times I read it, it didn't make sense to me. When you have been a Saints supporter as long as I have then optimism is not something I would use to describe how I feel about a pending season, even over the last few years when we were teased, seduced and almost thought a flag was possible. For me, the pre-season needs an "Andrew Wilke" type pre-commitment mechanism on how much emotional commitment I'm prepared to invest.
If we started to think about it and analyse it we'd probably give up and find something better to do with our time and money.

Better to just try and remain optimistic and look forward to another year of watching our beloved club take the field while enjoying the social aspects of sharing the moment, and (quite) a few beers, with family and friends who share the same insane, irrational passion.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
8856brother wrote:

I couldn't have made it through the 80's without optamism. Every week travelling to places like Vic and Princes Park I was hoping for an unlikely win. Pre season is the obvious time for optamism because our dreams haven't been shattered yet. We can still win the big one. Until we can't I will remain optamistic.
Regardless of how either of us see the club at the moment, it won't have an effect on how they perform this year. I hope they go all the way.

Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: If we started to think about it and analyse it we'd probably give up and find something better to do with our time and money.

Better to just try and remain optimistic and look forward to another year of watching our beloved club take the field while enjoying the social aspects of sharing the moment, and (quite) a few beers, with family and friends who share the same insane, irrational passion.
Don't get me wrong, I'm insanely passionate about the club. Always have been and always will be. I'm also insanely passionate about the sharing of beer with friends at the footy, and that aspect usually makes me extremely irrational. However having said all of that, my point about all of this talk about having turned the corner is interesting to me to say the least. But as I said I treat optimism towards our flag hopes like someone addicted to playing the pokies, You know they can give big payouts but it has never happened to me. But that hasn't stopped me from throwing in money at the emergency rate. But actually if I analyse it I'd realise and accept that the odds of a big win are so heavily geared against me. But alas I keep pouring in the coin becuase my rationale is that once I get that big win I will stop playing. Now for the record I have hardly ever played the pokies but you possibly get what I mean and in some queer way I hope that we never win a flag because I'll probably feel like Cathy Freeman after winning the 400m at the 2000 Olympics. I don't think I follow the Saints for premierships. I'm convinced that I will never see one in my lifetime. I follow them for so many other good reasons but I try not to get sucked into blind optimism. That's just me and everyone has the right to follow the club the way they like. I'm actually looking forward to 2012 for so many reasons but none of them have anything to do with the genuine hope of a flag.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 19 Feb 2012 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't block anyone on this site. Wouldn't give them the satisfaction and it would take the fun out of it anyway.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: It will be their loss as they wont learn about our great game.
that's very funny...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote: It will be their loss as they wont learn about our great game.
that's very funny...

At least you get the s*** I spread. Did take you a while though. We had plenty of arguments before your realised I take myself probably less serious than anyone on here. Surely this site is about fun and the occasional inside info and the occasional crap. Talking of crap i am off to the toilet.