Saints to play home game in NZ on ANZAC day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints to play home game in NZ on ANZAC day

plugger66 wrote:our form in NZ is poor at best.
Quote of the year nomination

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

and because an official figure hasnt been provided yet it means we shouldnt investigate this opportunity?

Sorry but I didnt say not to investigate it, its just you said we must get this through so you are the one who isnt actually investigating it.
hows our form bad in NZ?

we have to get this opportunity over the line, which means making sure the $$$ are good. we wouldnt go if the $$$ werent good. hell i'd go if it meant we didnt lose as much money as we do for a home game at etihad against an opponent that doesnt traditionally have strong attendances.

now i know why other posters have blocked you p66.

Other people blocked me wow. Firstly I find it funny you know that and secondly I couldnt give a stuff. All I am pointing out is you basically said we have to do it no matter what and i have said we need a great reason to do it. Logic says i am right.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

No p66 the OP (and everyone with half a brain) recognises that we would only do it for a big pay day. Congrats you have shat all through another topic.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:No p66 the OP (and everyone with half a brain) recognises that we would only do it for a big pay day. Congrats you have shat all through another topic.

Cant see how I have wrecked another topic. Completely stayed on the topic. It seems you started going off the topic. I have reread the first post and cannot see where a big pay day is even slightly mentioned.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Thank you Majority for the link.

Interesting pictures. My one question though is, where were all the people on the railway station footbridge going? Certainly not to the soccer. :shock: Maybe it was another one of those games where previous crowd misbehaviour led to a lockout - family and friends only...?

If we do go, which like all the other posters so far, I am in favour of investigating, then we'd want to do better than the A-League crowd and interest-wise.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Massive market in NZ...not

We'd be wanting to get 1 million + per game for going over there.

Sam Gilbert's NZ form is solid. Pity we got rid of Zac he performed above himself across the Tasman.

defacto
Club Player

Stadium looks great!!!!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Leo.J wrote:Massive market in NZ...not
Not at the moment, but surely NZ is the next sort of place we (the AFL) ought to look to expand the game into and whichever club gets their foot in the door first is the one that is likely to get whatever support there is, which will expand if the game does eventually grow there.
If there's good money in it, it could be great for us in the short term and if the AFL are looking to expand the game there it could also be very good for us in the long term, if we stick with it. To compete with the likes of Collingwood we need to "think big" and perhaps outside the square, or we'll be left behind. This is the sort of thing we ought to have a good look at IMO, if the AFL are serious at expanding there, or, of course, if the money is huge.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Not at the moment, but surely NZ is the next sort of place we (the AFL) ought to look to expand the game into and whichever club gets their foot in the door first is the one that is likely to get whatever support there is, which will expand if the game does eventually grow there.
If there's good money in it, it could be great for us in the short term and if the AFL are looking to expand the game there it could also be very good for us in the long term, if we stick with it. To compete with the likes of Collingwood we need to "think big" and perhaps outside the square, or we'll be left behind.
The Kiwi population is tiny, and they are Rugby mad.

Not worth it for the AFL IMO, yet if they are greedy enough to try it and pay the Saints a fortune to do, why not.

defacto
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
If there's good money in it, it could be great for us in the short term and if the AFL are looking to expand the game there it could also be very good for us in the long term, if we stick with it. To compete with the likes of Collingwood we need to "think big" and perhaps outside the square, or we'll be left behind. This is the sort of thing we ought to have a good look at IMO, if the AFL are serious at expanding there, or, of course, if the money is huge.
This we have to be in it for the long run. The playing pool there has huge potential to tap into. It's not that far away from delivering some good talent. The news about playing our sport in their schools shows the long term potential is there.

We just need financial coverage to make it viable in the short term.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

hawks have abig stake in schools and dvelopment program In NZ
http://www.nzafl.co.nz/NZHawks/tabid/59/Default.aspx
Last edited by saintbrat on Fri 02 Mar 2012 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'd say go for it if we could get a bernie eccelston GP sized paycheck for doing it !!!!

In red white and black from 73
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: our game will just be another game that will be played on a small ground in NZ with a lot of NZérs there wondering what the hell is going on. Like i said unless we get huge money then there is not one benefit.
Yeah. Almost as ridiculous as playing in west sydney. The afl would never be that stupid would they?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

If my memory serves me correctly there is a large Kiwi and Maori population in the Seaford and Frankston area. Is it possible that the club has seen a fantastic opportunity to engage this part of the local community around the Seaford and Frankston area by adopting New Zealand?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I love it, great idea. 8-)

If the AFL has ideas to expand the comp, it would pay bigtime to be the team with it's foot in the door already.

How long do fly there? Any further than Perth, or even the NT where games are played these days?

If anything, I'm sure there are plenty of people living over there than already know AFL and would jump on board just to get their fix.

This must be the commercial development they have been hinting at, if it is, it sounds like it's progressed further than perhaps the article suggests.

Maybe it was that something that GT was impressed with when welcomed back?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:If my memory serves me correctly there is a large Kiwi and Maori population in the Seaford and Frankston area. Is it possible that the club has seen a fantastic opportunity to engage this part of the local community around the Seaford and Frankston area by adopting New Zealand?
you're right bro
and they all love rugby !!!
choice

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Footy to progress in Wellington?

Tuesday, February 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM EST

Contributed by: Rod Shaw

AFL New Zealand is attempting to increase the number of teams in schools, at the same time as the leading Australian clubs are starting to look across the Tasman for new talent.

"The Australian clubs originally looked to Ireland – because of the similarity to gaelic football – for their international talent but finally are seeing see the merits of searching closer to home [in New Zealand]," AFL NZ national youth coach James Terry said.

According to Terry, four New Zealand boys were signed up for AFL scholarships last year and nine Australian clubs had observers at a training camp and game in Wellington last month. So far there has not been a Wellingtonian signed to an AFL scholarship and they have also not had much of a presence in the national sides recently.

Terry agrees to the widely held belief of those with experience of NZ football that "The games we play here – rugby, soccer, league and basketball – produce the type of athletic kids the AFL clubs are after and it can be a pathway to a very lucrative career."

Australian Rules is pitched as a summer game in New Zealand, so it is seen as an adjunct to rugby, soccer and league, rather than a competitor.
Five Wellington secondary schools fielded teams in AFL competitions last year and Terry hopes a bigger number will be involved in the senior Hawks Cup, a schools tournament that will be staged in Wellington in March, with a North Island schools tournament scheduled in late March.

Wellington schoolboys have already made an impression in AFL with Kade Riddell (Hutt Valley), Hugo Phillips (Wellington College), Fletcher Barclay (Paraparaumu), Jordan Mueller (Hutt Valley), Craig Morgan (Hutt Valley), Josh Thompson (St Pat's Town) and Mitchell Purvis (HIBS) all selected for the New Zealand under-16 side.

In addition, Riddell, Phillips and Barclay are in the Oceania under-16 squad that will play in Sydney at Easter at the Australian U16 Championships.

For more, see Aussie Rules scouts at Wellington schools.

http://www.nzafl.co.nz/

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Is this Nettlefold's attempt at being completely unoriginal and basically stealing the concept of a 'home away from home' re the Hawks...oh and the Kangas however they could not even develop a market in another state...

If it is...it is kind of laughable.
Or not...

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou confirmed that St Kilda had met the league's acting game development chief Andrew Dillon regarding the New Zealand push, which is understood to have been heavily driven by the Saints' new head of football, Chris Pelchen.

Demetriou said the subject had been briefly raised but not significantly explored at a recent meeting of AFL executives. The game's recently completed five-year strategic plan includes an international plat-form and the expressed desire to contest home-and-away games out-side Australia within that period.

Pelchen was accompanied by St Kilda executives Michael Nettlefold and Terry Dillon in a trip to New Zealand in January during the tour by the Australian rules AIS under-18 team. The key Saints off-field trio are believed to have held a series of meetings with Wellington-based stakeholders and toured the stadium

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z1nx1ZSaR6

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Could be worth a try.

Ewe never know what might happen

SaintSimmo
Club Player

To me, an ANZAC day clash in NZ makes no sense, the match would have no spectacle as there would be about 3 people there.
I fully support the idea of playing a game in NZ, and i think it is a fantastic idea, but not on ANZAC day.

Sainter for life.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

.you. can see why it's nicknamed the cake tin :)

.any length x breadth ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

A game in nz on Anzac day makes no sense ?

.hmmmmnn ... rolly eyes.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

a NZ based team appeals to me more that GWS

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:To me, an ANZAC day clash in NZ makes no sense, the match would have no spectacle as there would be about 3 people there.
I fully support the idea of playing a game in NZ, and i think it is a fantastic idea, but not on ANZAC day.
:wink:

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:A game in nz on Anzac day makes no sense ?

.hmmmmnn ... rolly eyes.
Thinking the exact same thing Gaz.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93