Watters he thinking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jays
Club Player

Re: Watters he thinking

good luck to him

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I like Watters, he doesn't mince words, he tells it how it is. It's obvious that we have salary cap restraints and if there are players who wanna chase the money than good luck to them cos I doubt Watters and our admin will sign a player onto another Hammil/Roo type contract and make it difficult to keep our next tier of players.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Setting us up for BJ leaving at year's end

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Setting us up for BJ leaving at year's end
You really think so?

I just can't see him leaving.

Certainly not to GWS, unless you think elsewhere?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
You really think so?

He'd be silly not to go for mine and I reckon he's off to Rooty Hill

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:
You really think so?

He'd be silly not to go for mine and I reckon he's off to Rooty Hill
If the Saints could offer him similar to the Pendles deal, I think he'd be silly to go.

Unlike Ablett, he doesn't have two premiership medals sitting in his pool room.

Twitter world today said that GWS is chasing big men, so I hope that it's West and/or Cloke.

All that aside, I just can't see him leaving.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If the Saints could offer him similar to the Pendles deal, I think he'd be silly to go.

Unlike Ablett, he doesn't have two premiership medals sitting in his pool room.

Twitter world today said that GWS is chasing big men, so I hope that it's West and/or Cloke.

All that aside, I just can't see him leaving.
Tend to agree.

GWS are likely to be smashed all year long.

And performances like Sunday's from the Gold Coast will reinforce what a long road ahead it will be for these new teams.

I reckon BJ will still be putting team success high on his list of priorities. And he'll be on good money wherever he ends up.

Time will tell of course but I'm certainly rating him a good chance to stay.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
think he will stay
unless someone like carlton can fit him into the salary cap then i cant see him going to gc or gws
would have more of a chance winning a flag at the saints than either of those two sides in the next 5 years (imo)

bj chips and dal are three players i would def not want to lose and would be trying to keep them at the club to see out their careers

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Mooksy wrote:I'm depressed now. I seem to be expecting more from us than most this year and that's saying something because I am a pessimist. How sapping. Footy sucks.
Depends how you look at it.

Hawks won their recent premiership while in the rebuilding phase, it came early.

Has that helped? :wink:
Likewise the Baby Bombers in 1993.

But we are St. Kilda so I'll back in our next flag in 50 years time!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bozza1980
Club Player

Mooksy wrote:Hasn't anyone else found another part of that article somewhat disturbing? The comment referring to next premiership "might be three to five years" away. I know he doesn't rule out anything but isn't that a bit defeatist? Or is he just a realist? Anyway I'm happy with the choice if Watters but I would hope they do think anything could happen this year.....and that includes a flag. Unlikely but sheesh....I hope they are playing for a flag this year and believe it could happen. Otherwise, why should I bother? no one thought the cats were a flag threat early 07. Things can click. Am I just jumping at shadows here? And it would be really interesting to know what in fact are the internal expectations for this year. Anyone care to offer a guess?
For a club that has won one flag since 1873, saying a flag could be 3-5 years away, should be considered positive!! :D

Having listened to the interview live, I was put at ease by his answer to the follow up question, something along the lines that we are playing to win it this year but at all times list management decisions are being made for the short and long term future.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
Mooksy wrote:Hasn't anyone else found another part of that article somewhat disturbing? The comment referring to next premiership "might be three to five years" away. I know he doesn't rule out anything but isn't that a bit defeatist? Or is he just a realist? Anyway I'm happy with the choice if Watters but I would hope they do think anything could happen this year.....and that includes a flag. Unlikely but sheesh....I hope they are playing for a flag this year and believe it could happen. Otherwise, why should I bother? no one thought the cats were a flag threat early 07. Things can click. Am I just jumping at shadows here? And it would be really interesting to know what in fact are the internal expectations for this year. Anyone care to offer a guess?
For a club that has won one flag since 1873, saying a flag could be 3-5 years away, should be considered positive!! :D

Having listened to the interview live, I was put at ease by his answer to the follow up question, something along the lines that we are playing to win it this year but at all times list management decisions are being made for the short and long term future.
He has to have a positive spin whether he really believes it or not

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
You really think so?

GC are under more pressure than GWS and are a far more attractive destination........I reckon Goddard could be enticed there and we may have better bargaining there also.

“Yeah….nah””
Richter
SS Life Member

I've said it before, but I believe the biggest threat comes from Vic clubs under the free agency ruling. I'm thinking either Essendon or Carlton.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:I've said it before, but I believe the biggest threat comes from Vic clubs under the free agency ruling. I'm thinking either Essendon or Carlton.
Why couldn't the Saints be able to match the money both of those scenarios throw up though?

Unless he wants to go of course, which I still don't think he does.

Gold Coast will probably have the cash, but I'm still not convinced he'll see a premiership in his career-lifetime

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Won't offer a guess, but agree totally with you re Geelong 007. I can also throw in our Grand Final Years of 97 and 009 when we were given no chance of getting anywhere near it.
I'll bet the younger players are going for a Flag - and if anybody thinks Lenny, number 12 and Goddard aren't, they're kidding themselves.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

And if they're thereabouts do you think Watters will say NO DON"T we aren't due for another 3-5 years!
I think he is offering a realistic view of where our current list sits, supporters are quite welcome to pray for "Bradbury" scenario but I like the idea of the hierarchy knowing where we really stand.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!