Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Milera

love this bloke! Ooozes class with an extra O....
The recruitment of this bloke was a great move, given he is not 18 he is still young with a lot of scope. In no time he will be racking up 20 touches with a couple of goals a game.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Not in his league I know. But he has a bit of the Stevie J's about him I reckon. If he became anything like him we've done well.

Club Player

So many signs that one day this guy is going to tear a game apart. Could've almost done it Friday night but a lack of confidence and composure prevented that, but those things will come with time. Great pickup.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:So many signs that one day this guy is going to tear a game apart. Could've almost done it Friday night but a lack of confidence and composure prevented that, but those things will come with time. Great pickup.
Was just going to post almost exactly the same. Can't wait for this bloke to take a game by the b####. Once he truly believes he belongs at this level he'll become a genuine star of the competition IMO.

Let's hope he reaches that conclusion very soon.

A special talent.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

It is glorious to have a natural footballer drafted to the saints. Been a long time.

the natural instinct for where to run, where to kick, the peripheral vision, the speed, the creativity.

Can we have more of these players?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
saint6709
Club Player

Has some great skills and looks very composed for a 3 gamer - Even with this great composure he does make some level one errors that you think a bit of experience and the work of the coaching staff will sort out - during what was possibly the best piece of individual flair and skill saints supporters have seen for years - he seemed to loose his head and think he was playing basketball ?- bounce per step - if he had run his full ten after the first bounce and then kicked truly - it would have been a sensation

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Has some great skills and looks very composed for a 3 gamer - Even with this great composure he does make some level one errors that you think a bit of experience and the work of the coaching staff will sort out - during what was possibly the best piece of individual flair and skill saints supporters have seen for years - he seemed to loose his head and think he was playing basketball ?- bounce per step - if he had run his full ten after the first bounce and then kicked truly - it would have been a sensation
Ross would have been tearing his hair out over that kind of flair. I'm all for it natural players lift their love of the game and keep hard at it when allowed a bit of freedom of expression. Creativity was drummed out for robotic sameness and functional efficiency under Ross Lyon and after watching the Freo grind away losing the flair they used to play with I am actually liking where we are going.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saint6709 wrote:Has some great skills and looks very composed for a 3 gamer - Even with this great composure he does make some level one errors that you think a bit of experience and the work of the coaching staff will sort out - during what was possibly the best piece of individual flair and skill saints supporters have seen for years - he seemed to loose his head and think he was playing basketball ?- bounce per step - if he had run his full ten after the first bounce and then kicked truly - it would have been a sensation
Ross would have been tearing his hair out over that kind of flair. I'm all for it natural players lift their love of the game and keep hard at it when allowed a bit of freedom of expression. Creativity was drummed out for robotic sameness and functional efficiency under Ross Lyon and after watching the Freo grind away losing the flair they used to play with I am actually liking where we are going.

Like Hill against us last week?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

plugger66 credits Lyon with the way Hill plays...LOL He also credits Rooys best and fairests to Lyon, Chips best and fairest to Lyon, BJ's mark in the GF to Lyon and Saints rise out of nowhere to Lyon ( kkkhhhhhhhmmm, cough, cough - didn't we play off in prelims in 04/05).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote: Ross would have been tearing his hair out over that kind of flair. I'm all for it natural players lift their love of the game and keep hard at it when allowed a bit of freedom of expression. Creativity was drummed out for robotic sameness and functional efficiency under Ross Lyon and after watching the Freo grind away losing the flair they used to play with I am actually liking where we are going.

plugger66 credits Lyon with the way Hill plays...LOL He also credits Rooys best and fairests to Lyon, Chips best and fairest to Lyon, BJ's mark in the GF to Lyon and Saints rise out of nowhere to Lyon ( kkkhhhhhhhmmm, cough, cough - didn't we play off in prelims in 04/05).

Seriously did you read the what the person wrote before me. Please stop embarressing yourself.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why bring Hill into...he is a class player and he's out there playing footy...what has Lyon's coaching got to do with Hill's vision and accuracy and long kicking? Should Lyon take credit for Hill being in the Freo line-up?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Why bring Hill into...he is a class player and he's out there playing footy...what has Lyon's coaching got to do with Hill's vision and accuracy and long kicking? Should Lyon take credit for Hill being in the Freo line-up?

Did you read what the previous guy actually said. He said after watching Freo grind away and losing their flair. Well to me Hill didnt grind away or lose his flair. Matter of fact he probably won the game for them.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Lyon focuses on containment, playing 15 blokes around the footy and tagging players in opposition teams rather than trying to win the game...players like Hill or similar less talented younger blokes will never actually get a go...and that's the point about flair and grinding...No matter how good a coach Lyon thought he was, he could never turn Eddy or Farren Ray or Polo into Hill...he had too many defensive role players and taggers and not enough ball winners and players that could snag a sausage or stab pass like Hill. Millera might not have ever been recruited under the Messiah

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:If Lyon focuses on containment, playing 15 blokes around the footy and tagging players in opposition teams rather than trying to win the game...players like Hill or similar less talented younger blokes will never actually get a go...and that's the point about flair and grinding...No matter how good a coach Lyon thought he was, he could never turn Eddy or Farren Ray or Polo into Hill...he had too many defensive role players and taggers and not enough ball winners and players that could snag a sausage or stab pass like Hill. Millera might not have ever been recruited under the Messiah
What about Lovett?

BTW, you obviously don't think RL was a good coach but apart from that, I'm really sruggling to connect the dots with your posts and I do not understand the premis of your argument. Your argument lacks logic so why don't you just let it go.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:If Lyon focuses on containment, playing 15 blokes around the footy and tagging players in opposition teams rather than trying to win the game...players like Hill or similar less talented younger blokes will never actually get a go...and that's the point about flair and grinding...No matter how good a coach Lyon thought he was, he could never turn Eddy or Farren Ray or Polo into Hill...he had too many defensive role players and taggers and not enough ball winners and players that could snag a sausage or stab pass like Hill. Millera might not have ever been recruited under the Messiah

You really don't have a clue do you....

To the top
SS Life Member

Lyon crafted to the pre-existing strengths of St Kilda, and recruited accordingly to maintain the status quo in a competition where you have to go forward.

Led by a dominant Riewoldt, the record of St Kilda whilst Lyon was the coach was what it was.

With the demise of Riewoldt post his injury in 2010, the St Kilda performance was what it was (and a Grand Final was made against the odds in 2010 - plus we could have snuck that one against the trend of the game, finishing with a draw due to the performances of a few).

Look at the scores we have kicked, winning many games because of our defensive game plan.

The recruiting of a raft of average players from other clubs (why did they let them go?) to supplement our premier performers was, in my view, a mistake and we should have taken an aggresive recruiting position by drafting youth.

From my perspective that is the history of Lyon's term at the club.

He inherited, he used (and lost including some players) and he left.

Now those players Lyon relied upon, including principally Riewoldt, are getting up in years and are no longer able to be the forces they were including because of competition.

Last week-end we saw Fisher tagged to negate his abilities to impact on a game.

What this left were Gilbert (who performed well, including by getting forward to snag a couple) then Simpkin (given the defensive job against height which he performed very well but did not create rebound because his discipline was required elsewhere) then Dempster, Geary and Blake.

Geary got a bit of it in the first half especially, but did not give any attacking rebound whilst both Blake and Dempster are "stoppers" who do not give any attacking rebound or, at best, minimal attacking rebound. Generally they just stop the ball if they get hold of it.

This capacity, or lack of capacity, in our defence is the Lyon model.

No doubt the return of Gwilt with his penetrating kick and body stength, the return of Clarke with his superb positioning, competative instincts, courage and ability to run and carry and Gram with his leg speed and abilities to run, carry and kick long will improve our defensive unit - and our team.

The return of these players will see opposition side's abilities to create space behind our defensive zone diminish - because all bring an ability to run at good pace - and particularly Gwilt and Clarke are adept at positioning.

Fisher, supported by who he was supported by was always going to be a Lyon target - knowing the only other rebounding option was Gilbert.

And so it transpired.

From there, the amount of time we had the pill in our attacking zone aligned to the superb efforts of Koschitzke and then Riewoldt and the periodic excitement and defensive pressure Milera bought, should have produced a far, far better result on the scoreboard.

All of this pays a testimony to the mid-field led by the incomparable Hayes - and particularly given Sandilands was untouchable in the ruck.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wrong...I do actually agree with you now that you and others have stopped using the word great!! I think 'good' coach sums him up.

Lovett hmmmmmmmmm!!??????. Let me think............sh1t I don't know why things turned bad....I mean Lyon just wanted another role player and he seemed perfect to fit into the team and be a role model for our future stars and perhaps the future leaders of the Saints...hmmmmmmmmmm

How's this for logic...or if you like...what do you expect if you treat one of the Saints leaders and loved players the way you did and you go for a high risk recruit with question marks around his character!?? If Lyon could not find qualities in Luke Ball to support the player, embrace the player and imrove the player, then Lovett was just plain and simply...Lyon's karma!!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Lyon crafted to the pre-existing strengths of St Kilda, and recruited accordingly to maintain the status quo in a competition where you have to go forward.

Led by a dominant Riewoldt, the record of St Kilda whilst Lyon was the coach was what it was.

With the demise of Riewoldt post his injury in 2010, the St Kilda performance was what it was (and a Grand Final was made against the odds in 2010 - plus we could have snuck that one against the trend of the game, finishing with a draw due to the performances of a few).

Look at the scores we have kicked, winning many games because of our defensive game plan.

The recruiting of a raft of average players from other clubs (why did they let them go?) to supplement our premier performers was, in my view, a mistake and we should have taken an aggresive recruiting position by drafting youth.

From my perspective that is the history of Lyon's term at the club.

He inherited, he used (and lost including some players) and he left.

Now those players Lyon relied upon, including principally Riewoldt, are getting up in years and are no longer able to be the forces they were including because of competition.

Last week-end we saw Fisher tagged to negate his abilities to impact on a game.

What this left were Gilbert (who performed well, including by getting forward to snag a couple) then Simpkin (given the defensive job against height which he performed very well but did not create rebound because his discipline was required elsewhere) then Dempster, Geary and Blake.

Geary got a bit of it in the first half especially, but did not give any attacking rebound whilst both Blake and Dempster are "stoppers" who do not give any attacking rebound or, at best, minimal attacking rebound. Generally they just stop the ball if they get hold of it.

This capacity, or lack of capacity, in our defence is the Lyon model.

No doubt the return of Gwilt with his penetrating kick and body stength, the return of Clarke with his superb positioning, competative instincts, courage and ability to run and carry and Gram with his leg speed and abilities to run, carry and kick long will improve our defensive unit - and our team.

The return of these players will see opposition side's abilities to create space behind our defensive zone diminish - because all bring an ability to run at good pace - and particularly Gwilt and Clarke are adept at positioning.

Fisher, supported by who he was supported by was always going to be a Lyon target - knowing the only other rebounding option was Gilbert.

And so it transpired.

From there, the amount of time we had the pill in our attacking zone aligned to the superb efforts of Koschitzke and then Riewoldt and the periodic excitement and defensive pressure Milera bought, should have produced a far, far better result on the scoreboard.

All of this pays a testimony to the mid-field led by the incomparable Hayes - and particularly given Sandilands was untouchable in the ruck.
You actually sound like Grant Thomas.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
What about Lovett?

BTW, you obviously don't think RL was a good coach but apart from that, I'm really sruggling to connect the dots with your posts and I do not understand the premis of your argument. Your argument lacks logic so why don't you just let it go.
I won't be defending Ross Lyon on the Luke Ball saga.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

You really don't have a clue do you....
Who says you need to have a clue. I just like writing cr@p all day and passing the time. If that was the criteria for contributing to the forum then you wouldn't be allowed to would you?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is a good coach and will probably end up a GF winning coach at some point but his style was to take the variables out of football and control possession. It is fundamentally a grinding style of play that does not allow flair to come out. Geary looks unshackled since he left and as for lovett he wasn't that flairy just quick.

You don't have to rub your groins over old pictures of Lyon with tears running down your faces because I suggested he doesn't like flair. It was just an observation. Plugger doesn't even have his own opinion it's just his way to argue contrary to anyone that might put up something other people might find interesting.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Lyon is a good coach and will probably end up a GF winning coach at some point but his style was to take the variables out of football and control possession. It is fundamentally a grinding style of play that does not allow flair to come out. Geary looks unshackled since he left and as for lovett he wasn't that flairy just quick.

You don't have to rub your groins over old pictures of Lyon with tears running down your faces because I suggested he doesn't like flair. It was just an observation. Plugger doesn't even have his own opinion it's just his way to argue contrary to anyone that might put up something other people might find interesting.

I have an opinion that you are wrong and that is why I mentioned Hill. Yes Geary is going better but I couldnt give a stuff about individuals. The aim is to win and not worry about how individuals go. Look at Essendon today and yes they lost but to get within a point was unbelievable effort considering they probably didnt have any player in the top 6 today. its a team game and that was how RL coached and looks like he still is.

And who are you speaking to when you say Plugger doesnt have an opinion. Is that so you get the masses agreeing with you.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Lyon is a good coach and will probably end up a GF winning coach at some point but his style was to take the variables out of football and control possession. It is fundamentally a grinding style of play that does not allow flair to come out. Geary looks unshackled since he left and as for lovett he wasn't that flairy just quick.

I have an opinion that you are wrong and that is why I mentioned Hill. Yes Geary is going better but I couldnt give a stuff about individuals. The aim is to win and not worry about how individuals go. Look at Essendon today and yes they lost but to get within a point was unbelievable effort considering they probably didnt have any player in the top 6 today. its a team game and that was how RL coached and looks like he still is.

And who are you speaking to when you say Plugger doesnt have an opinion. Is that so you get the masses agreeing with you.
Hill will have his mojo taken away eventually. As for your opinion it is just from observation. If we are going to be out of contention for the next decade or whatever you suggest they can at least give me some entertainment. Watching the Lyon style and losing just depresses me.

I would hate popular opinion to be with me because most are trigger happy pessimists like your good self on here.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hill will have his mojo taken away eventually. As for your opinion it is just from observation. If we are going to be out of contention for the next decade or whatever you suggest they can at least give me some entertainment. Watching the Lyon style and losing just depresses me.

I would hate popular opinion to be with me because most are trigger happy pessimists like your good self on here.

I have told it is realistic because what I say always happens. That is real. Got any pessimistic comments I have made that you can show me.?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have told it is realistic because what I say always happens. That is real. Got any pessimistic comments I have made that you can show me.?[/quote]

That would involve caring enough to go back into the past, I would rather annoy you by suggesting it until you find your happy place.

Like most who come on here you tore apart every thing I ever posted when I started, that was based on nothing but your assumption of superior football knowledge.

You may have told plenty your realistic but you sound like a narcissist as well as a pessimist now.