Milne its Time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

slider
Club Player

Re: Milne its Time

battye wrote:
noob wrote:You think of the goals battye but the pressure to apply on opponents isn't there.
You need goals to win games of football. Milne's ~2 goals a week is more valuable than (for example) McQualter's ~0.5 goals a week but with twice as many tackles.
I think Mini has been gone for a while and has nothing to do with this teams s*** streak

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
dragit wrote:Absurdity…
Both in our best 10-12 tonight.
Gram has basically taken cripps spot so increased that position by 20 kicks… Montagna was far from our worst.
up to three-quarter time montagna had nine possessions. he almost doubled that in the last, but in the first three quarters he was really quiet. certainly not in our best 10 or 12.
Ok, so who were the 12 better players for us…?

I get maybe Riewoldt, Kosi, Gram, Steven, Hayes, Blake… stretching after that with maybe Simpkin, Fisher

Armo, Stanley, Dempster, Siposs, Milne, Dal Santo, Geary, Polo, Jones, Gilbert were all rubbish tonight.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
saintkid wrote:Gram is a complete dud and Montagna is needs to take a hard look at himself as he is way overrated.
Absurdity…
Gram has basically taken cripps spot so increased that position by 20 kicks… Montagna was far from our worst.
Yes Gram would be in my best 6-7 also, and Montagna not that bad - but no they lost tonight, so all the usual whipping boys are no good and must go :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
noob wrote:You think of the goals battye but the pressure to apply on opponents isn't there.
You need goals to win games of football. Milne's ~2 goals a week is more valuable than (for example) McQualter's ~0.5 goals a week but with twice as many tackles.

2 goals a week against melbourne, GWS,GC ets is all great - everyone knows agaisnt quality Milne struggles. He looks slow.

“Yeah….nah””
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
battye wrote:

2 goals a week against melbourne, GWS,GC ets is all great - everyone knows agaisnt quality Milne struggles. He looks slow.
Stop right now. McQ was pathetic as both in the tackle and kicking. He was an awful player.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

disgraceful thread, everyone saying how good Milney was after his 500 goals now this, some of you are a disgrace absolute embarrassment , the guy is playing a diff role.... regardless of that I was going to come on here and say how the whole team is finished as contenders yet some wanker singled out Milne.??? FFS how many dumb supporters do we have ? Fairdinkum.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saintkid wrote:Gram is a complete dud and Montagna is needs to take a hard look at himself as he is way overrated.
Absurdity…
i scoff. gram has made the last 2 years of his career based on knowing exactly where to run to get cheap kicks so his stats look ok.
he is non competivive and has no impact. over rated big time.

As for milne. Great player. Club legend. 500 goals. Query will always remain over his performance in big games versus good opposition.

But time to say goodbye. Milney and Blakey and probably Grammy. Thanks for you loyal serviec to the club. Its been one hell of a ride guys.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 06 May 2012 12:34am, edited 1 time in total.

Richter
SS Life Member

Yes, it is time. He no longer has the speed off the go to be able to create the space to allow him the easy mark on the run, and when the ball hits the ground he gets beaten every time. Defensively never been great and creatively going up the ground he has been poor this year. He has his 500 now and I see no point in him playing ahead of Saad and Siposs, both of whom need exposure in the afl for their development.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
defacto
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:disgraceful thread, everyone saying how good Milney was after his 500 goals now this, some of you are a disgrace absolute embarrassment , the guy is playing a diff role.... regardless of that I was going to come on here and say how the whole team is finished as contenders yet some wanker singled out Milne.??? FFS how many dumb supporters do we have ? Fairdinkum.
were not saying he isnt a champion. i think hes the best fwd pocket player we have ever had and easily in the top 5 of all time. the guy is a superstar.

but the game is moving past him. age is catching up to him. he needs a rest. lets see how he goes at vfl. see what the dynamic is without him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint scout 2 wrote:Milne needs a couple of weeks away from football all together. The stress of recent developments far too great!!!
Perhaps. Unfortunately I think Milne may have read a paper/heard the news this
Week. Would be very unsettling for for it to happen out of the blue.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Absurdity…
i scoff. gram has made the last 2 years of his career based on knowing exactly where to run to get cheap kicks so his stats look ok.
scoff away, but name 12 better players tonight? In fact name 6…

clearly in our best 22 until chris yarran really wants to come over to the saints… same goes for joey.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Only a fool would not play Milne in his best side.

How many fools do we have here?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gram was fine tonight, I liked his defensive efforts as well.

Milne does need a break, he has been given the respect he has probably earned, but I agree it's time.

Saad perhaps could start next week?

Seems to have lost his pace, and quickly?

We knew the end would come quickly, he has been such a great player though, maybe some time at Sandy will see him spark for one last push.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:WTF is it with Gram???

Not even about him.... But still the scapegoat cops it....

He was in the best 6 tonight...... And for some reason he was piss weak.... not sure he even made a mistake...

Milney was poor, Hawthorn had a good strategy for him...
Agree it's not about gram, but I thought he lacked intensity tonight.
He's one of my favourites but watching him closely he was jogging between contests a lot.
I was disappointed about his lack of run.

battye
Saintsational Legend

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading here. 11 goals in 6 weeks and people are calling for him to be dropped? Prolific goal scorers are hardly coming out of the woodwork at St Kilda. Saad's played one match, it's ridiculous to be calling for him to replace Milne. Milne is a champion and Saad will learn best by playing alongside Milne, not by replacing him.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Absurdity…

As for milne. Great player. Club legend. 500 goals. Query will always remain over his performance in big games versus good opposition.

But time to say goodbye. Milney and Blakey and probably Grammy. Thanks for you loyal serviec to the club. Its been one hell of a ride guys.
2009 and 2010 will disagree with you. So will his efforts in 2008.

Come on Conald. Do better son.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's hard though Battye.

It's bad enough when the ball hits the deck and the big guys puff after it, I feel like even Milne now is struggling to apply defensive pressure....it's not about a lack of wanting to, but they need to lock it in the 50. If our talls can't do that, and the crumbers are struggling to do that...

Makes it hard gameplan wise.

battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's hard though Battye.

It's bad enough when the ball hits the deck and the big guys puff after it, I feel like even Milne now is struggling to apply defensive pressure....it's not about a lack of wanting to, but they need to lock it in the 50. If our talls can't do that, and the crumbers are struggling to do that...

So we should drop a proven goal-kicker for someone who may or may not be and who also may or may not be able to provide defensive forward pressure?

A better idea is to adapt our own game plan to the players we have. For example, have the CHF/FF's lead out quite a fair way out with the small forwards not far behind. If the talls are free then they will receive the lead, if not then they are a decoy. They drag the opposition defence out with them, and the players kicks over their head for the small forward to run on to. I believe this would work heavily in Milne and Schneider's favour. So often Milne is targeted in a one-on-one. And over the course of his career, especially around 2001-02, he has had to play the role of a full forward quite a lot. And when he's had to he's acquitted himself quite well I believe. But clearly he is at his best when on the run and has the chance to be creative.

At the moment I see we often bomb it to about 25m out. I'm all for the long kick but there has to be some intent behind it. If blazing away, then blaze away to the top of the square. Otherwise do something useful with it like I mentioned above. Something with at least some strategy behind it.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's hard though Battye.

Yeh...should be like Geary....or wait Geary was crap tonight too in that regard too. So should we drop both?

Milne made some bad decisons tonight , but was far from our worst.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The tiprat has a knack of swooping on an easy kill. Milne's has kicked a lot of goals in his career in junk time when the heat is off and games are basically done and dusted. He finally got one tonight when the game had already been decided but again went missing or failed to have an impact when the game was up for grabs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's a thread about Milne, I said my bit, and I did it respectfully.

Disagree by all means, have your own opinion.

Not understanding the dig at Geary and how it's relevant, I'm not his mum you know.

Last week was bad enough on here after a win.

I didn't say he was our worst, I said that I think the coach needs to stop the quick rebounds.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What we really lack are two more mids and a hb that can use the ball well.

We have too many players that just do not use the ball well enough.

Milney was not good tonight, but the poor use in the middle of the ground is where we mainly lost it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

I'm sorry..... but Milney has just so many credits in the bank for us....

1. Won us games off his own boot many times
2. He and Lenny are the fabric of the club - and his presence and the standards he sets can't be discounted
3. We have been down and out many times (with Roo & Kosi out)... and Milney has taken all before him and delivered under very difficult circumstances, where he's been 1 vs 2 or 1 vs 3 in the forward 50

As far as I'm concerned, if players like Gram can just get inked into the starting 18 every week.... Milney has my unqualified support until the end of the year.

For Christ's sake people - it will be a LONG LONG time before you cheer such an excitement machine again

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

As much as I see our club in trouble, this thread does not help and I'd like to add how ridiculous it is. When people register for SS..are they IQ tested? Seriously dumb thread.

Austinnn
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:Better than retarded Clinton Jones who does not kick and cannot kick and sounds like the retarded kid in your classes that could play da sportz good but waz a tard
Shut your damn mouth, you fool.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone