An IDEA for the Swans game !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: An IDEA for the Swans game !!

Blake is the best ruckman we have left. Has a huge engine and will try and get kicks around the ground. Onballers will just have to rove to opposition hitouts.

Riewoldt, Kossie and Wilkes up forward with 2 of Milne, Milera and Saad on the ground at any one time.

Hopefully Fisher back for Stanley in only change.

No Clarke for mine - ever!

summertime and the living is easy ........
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Fisher isnt back this week according to Pelchan so it will be Jimmy in for sure. Not sure about other changes. Wilkes if he holds his spot is very lucky. He really isnt good enough.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Blake is a legend.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SinCitySainter
Club Player

There is an old football adage that goes "A good big man will beat a good small man every day of the week." This does not mean "A poor to ordinary big man will beat a good small man." So why do we keep playing big guys who are not good enough "for structure"?
Kosi is our best ruckman and is in good form this year. Blake is not our best ruckman available, he is a very solid and dependable defender and needs to be selected for that role.
I would rather we select a talented kid like Cripps or Siposs than a Wilkes purely for the sake of having another big body.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:There is an old football adage that goes "A good big man will beat a good small man every day of the week." This does not mean "A poor to ordinary big man will beat a good small man." So why do we keep playing big guys who are not good enough "for structure"?
Kosi is our best ruckman and is in good form this year. Blake is not our best ruckman available, he is a very solid and dependable defender and needs to be selected for that role.
I would rather we select a talented kid like Cripps or Siposs than a Wilkes purely for the sake of having another big body.

You say Kosi is the best ruckman but I saw no evidence of that on Sunday. Matter of fact Blake looked clearly better in the ruck. Also you have to look what you lose playing Kosi in the ruck and IMO we lose a lot more moving him from the forward line than Blake from the backline especially with Jimmy obviously going to play this week. Agree that Siposs should come in for Wilkes but that could only happen if Kosi mainly played forward.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:There is an old football adage that goes "A good big man will beat a good small man every day of the week." This does not mean "A poor to ordinary big man will beat a good small man." So why do we keep playing big guys who are not good enough "for structure"?

You say Kosi is the best ruckman but I saw no evidence of that on Sunday. Matter of fact Blake looked clearly better in the ruck. Also you have to look what you lose playing Kosi in the ruck and IMO we lose a lot more moving him from the forward line than Blake from the backline especially with Jimmy obviously going to play this week. Agree that Siposs should come in for Wilkes but that could only happen if Kosi mainly played forward.
I think in Fisher's absence we lose more by Blake not playing in defence than we do with Kosi not playing up forward.
With Fisher still out and unlikely to be back for the Swans game our only tall defenders are a kid playing his first season of senior football, doing a fantastic job mind but still a kid and Gilbert who does not play tall.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think in Fisher's absence we lose more by Blake not playing in defence than we do with Kosi not playing up forward.
With Fisher still out and unlikely to be back for the Swans game our only tall defenders are a kid playing his first season of senior football, doing a fantastic job mind but still a kid and Gilbert who does not play tall.

Jimmy is playing though. Perfect replacement for Blake.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Jimmy is playing though. Perfect replacement for Blake.
I am afraid I don't agree at all. Jimmy's greatest strengths are his ability to run and carry and his ability to deliver the ball coming out of defence. His biggest weakness in the defensive role is playing against the big beast forwards which in Reid and Walsh the swans have. Both are listed as 195 cm and Gwilt is just 188. Blake is only a little taller but does play bigger than he is which I don't think Jimmy does. If Blake does go into the ruck then I think we will need Dempster to take one of the big lads as he can play taller than he is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
I am afraid I don't agree at all. Jimmy's greatest strengths are his ability to run and carry and his ability to deliver the ball coming out of defence. His biggest weakness in the defensive role is playing against the big beast forwards which in Reid and Walsh the swans have. Both are listed as 195 cm and Gwilt is just 188. Blake is only a little taller but does play bigger than he is which I don't think Jimmy does. If Blake does go into the ruck then I think we will need Dempster to take one of the big lads as he can play taller than he is.

Well if Kosi goes into to the ruck we are left with Wilkes to be the second tall. I would rather Jimmy be the second tall down back than Wilkes being the second tall up forward. They will just go to Rooy which will make it very hard for him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:

Yeah good points. Although having missed the swans game I thought Tommy was a guy who played less tall than he is. Great hands and athleticism. I would like Clarke and Archer in also, Move Gilbert up into the forward line and Wilkes back to Sandy. Gilbert back if needed. To me some of those goal kicking mids will be the hard ones to cover. A smaller more mobile backline could help our cause as they can cut out the space the Swans need to operate in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:

Yeah good points. Although having missed the swans game I thought Tommy was a guy who played less tall than he is. Great hands and athleticism. I would like Clarke and Archer in also, Move Gilbert up into the forward line and Wilkes back to Sandy. Gilbert back if needed. To me some of those goal kicking mids will be the hard ones to cover. A smaller more mobile backline could help our cause as they can cut out the space the Swans need to operate in.

How can Archer play?