Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Riewoldt

Jack R did what Nick R should do......

Stand in the goal square no matter what.

So, when the ball comes down into the forward 50 at least there is someone who can run in and kick a goal.

And I mean from whether it's a throw in from 50m out or if the ball is bombed in from centre half back, for god's sake just be there and let the others kick it to you, rather than chase it in from chb and then have to run like hell to pick up the ball and then try and kick it.

I never thought I'd be thinking Nick's cousin had more football smarts about playing the forward line.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Jack doesn't have the ticker, the selflessness or the work ethic of Nick. End of story. Nick has carried this team in the past on his shoulders and dragged them across the line with his class and work around the ground. Jack is not capable of that regardless of how many goals he kicks in a season. Ask any coach in the AFL who they would choose hands down if they had to make a choice between the 2. Had we had a our Ruckman in and Blake playing on Riewoldt, he would not have kicked 8. When Blake went on him in the 3rd, he hardly touched it. Had Hawthorn not been witches hats last week, he would not have kicked 6 (they are desperately missing Gilham and now Osborne). End of story.

Don't even start on the accuracy. Jack is not exactly captain reliable in front of goal. He was able to kick the 15-30 metre out in front goals. Wasn't so accurate further out or on an angle.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
matrix
Saintsational Legend

great comment
calling the op an a grade f***wit

when in fact he is prob correct
jack would be close to worth a million, especially if he wins his second coleman and has a stellar second half of the season
roo is prob worth a bit less

you a grade fuckwits

still belittling everyone elses opinions and hurling abuse i see, and mods still doing nothing about it too
must be open season then
cant not warn and ban one and not the others

open season is now...open

TJMcCarthy
Club Player

I've said this before and I'll say it again- they should try Roo in the ruck. There is something about having a big tall athletic blonde in the middle that looks and works great for the St.Kilda Football Club. He should be our Paul Salmon type of player. Forward and ruck.

Comparing the cousins is a pointless argument imo. Different bodies different players.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Jack R did what Nick R should do......

Stand in the goal square no matter what.

So, when the ball comes down into the forward 50 at least there is someone who can run in and kick a goal.

And I mean from whether it's a throw in from 50m out or if the ball is bombed in from centre half back, for god's sake just be there and let the others kick it to you, rather than chase it in from chb and then have to run like hell to pick up the ball and then try and kick it.

I never thought I'd be thinking Nick's cousin had more football smarts about playing the forward line.
I thought Milne was playing that role for us ozrules, but it kind of backfired....

The ball came over the top quite a few times he just (because I think he needs a rest) couldn't make it happen.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes...good points about Roo staying close to home...With regard to ruck...maybe a good option for the last quarter or for short bursts with both Macca and Stanley out (especially if it means Blake takes a key forward).

As far as Roo's kicking, his on field leadership and hissyfits....not good!!! He has displayed selfish behaviour and can't off at the younger blokes when he himself is missing shots on goal that he's expected to kick. Millera trying to chip the ball to his captain at the top of the goalsquare when he could have easily got the distance...what is that? Later on when Millera got a goal, Roo goes over the top in his celebration to make up for the body language beforehand. Just beacaus Roo was frustrated at missing gettable shots doesn't mean that he should be selfish and expect the other guys to gift him other opportunities. I thought we'd moved on from the kick it Roo gameplan.

cross2012
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
cross2012 wrote:
Scollop wrote:But last year and this year the pattern and the consistency of the yips will come at a cost...The Tigers disposal and poor kicking in the first quarter kept Saints in the contest. They were smashing us in uncontested possessions and inside 50's. If they'd got their shots on goal right, we may have never had a sniff...

On the other hand....just as we started winning the footy and kicking a few and had an opportunity to create some space in that second quarter and perhaps go into the long break infront with some scoreboard pressure against them, Roo misses a couple in a row. Some of their players were spent late in the third and if we didn't spray so many opportunities, we could've got our noses in front again and sapped the energy and spirit out of our opposition, but it wasn't to be. I know there were plenty of culprits including Millera, Saad, Sipposs and Kosi with the gimme but when you are the captain and when you are in a position to kick goals that can hurt the opposition, then just fu3kn do it...

He has been the best Saints player in the last ten years by a country mile...Does he need a rest?? If it means he doesn't travel to the Gold Coast, then so be it...if you want to rest him for a couple of other games at Etihad, then so be it (we know that the harder grounds like Subiaco and Etihad are taxing on the legs)....I know he's a star and he can still be the most important player in our team, but I reckon once Chips or Macca get back, we give Wilkes a go at CHF for a game or tow. I don't care how you do it, but DO NOT PLAY ROO in every game. There is no more hiding. The coach needs to rest this bloke throughout the year.
Drop Roo for Wilkes - LOL... you must be kidding!

Nick is moving freely and playing well this year. Fact is his position (key forward) his much harder to play than a few years ago with clogged forward lines. as an example, Cloke and Buddy both really struggling this year and most key forwards at most clubs are up and down i.e. Tippett, Hawkins, Pavlich, Jroo, etc, etc.
Just dont see the point in people week after week potting Nick over the same issue. OK he sprays a few, move on. He is no worse than Buddy and is ten times the leader imo.
I said that when we get Chips and Macca it is going to be easier to replace one of the spine players...I also didn't say that Wilkes is like for like replacement for Roo. I just mentioned Wilkes because he's someone that is at least ready to go and hungry for an opportunity...Who gives a toss if Wilkes get another game at all ....ever...I don't!!! You blokes are either one-eyed-sycophants or you're related to Roo or you represent the bloke and get a cut$$.

You bring up leadership as well....I would have said to you and honestly believed before 2011 that Roo was the best... I only see what goes on out on the footy field...he is not the best leader atm.

OK, to pick out some of your key points, you said:

"He has been the best Saints player in the last ten years by a country mile"

"I know he's a star and he can still be the most important player in our team"

"You bring up leadership as well....I would have said to you and honestly believed before 2011 that Roo was the best
"

YOUR suggestion was:

"Wilkes a go at CHF for a game or tow (sic)"

So where i am struggling with your arguement is that apparently, Roo must have had a massive form drop and lost all his leadership qualities over summer, So much so that he should be replaced by a player recruited for Depth so ROO can have a rest and get it all back.
Yet to my mind he is probably having a beeter season than last.

Just to add some perspective, Mike Shehans number one ranked player for 2012 is Buddy Franklin. Buddy's points to goals ratio is running at around 36% and Roo is running at 55%

No problem with discussion, but i struggle with some of the other posters referring to themselves as "supporters" wanting to tear down a champion.

Saintersss
Club Player

Absolutely shocked at this thread. Riewoldt was magnificent last night and it almost looked like the Riewoldt of old. He was back to leading beautifully at that 40m to 70m and created numerous attacks. Sure he missed a couple, but he kicked 3 and was involved in many more.

rexy
SS Life Member

Reiwoldt has had a super year and is moving more freely than he has in some time, no he should not be rested at this stage, nor should he stay in the goal square! Reiwoldts stellar career with 5 B&Fs and several AA selections is all based on his running ability as a big man. He is not the best kcik from the set shot but has kicked quite well this year.

Many on here are kidding themselves if they think there are any dramas with the skipper!

Maybe this year?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cross2012

2011 started 18 months ago...not last summer

No argument with your comment that Roo is a champion, but Roo needs to be kept fresh or at least we manage/reduce his game time. What's wrong with making him the fricken sub. Symbolically it will be a wake up to Roo and to the fans and to the older players - it's actually emphasising transition.

Mike Sheehan????!!!....Please
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 02 Jun 2012 4:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Sorry I must have fallen a sleeep. i could have sworn our captain missed a few in the first half. Must have been pissed.
Get off the grog halfwit!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Legendary
Club Player

Played better than he has since 2010 last night, was excellent.

Ok he missed a couple, but at his best he has always missed a couple. That's just Nick.

Doesn't overshadow the ten marks ... dozens of leads ... playing against 2 opponents ... score involvements ... leadership.

When Jack has 3-4 All-Australian selections, 5 B&F's, an AFL MVP and stands up as BOG in multiple finals games ... come back to me and I'll listen to you.

rexy
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Played better than he has since 2010 last night, was excellent.

Ok he missed a couple, but at his best he has always missed a couple. That's just Nick.

Doesn't overshadow the ten marks ... dozens of leads ... playing against 2 opponents ... score involvements ... leadership.

When Jack has 3-4 All-Australian selections, 5 B&F's, an AFL MVP and stands up as BOG in multiple finals games ... come back to me and I'll listen to you.
this

Maybe this year?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Don't understand why complimenting Jack means insulting Nick

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack has a long way to go before he is even comparible to Nick....

If his biggest accolade is 82 goals for a Coleman..... Nick kicked 78 from CHF/FF

saintkellerm
Club Player

I just saw him before in south Melbourne looking hot!!

I went to the game while hubby stayed home and he commented how Nicks opp player was all over him and didn't have eyes for the ball. On ya Nick he played well, he wasn't the only one that missed goals plus he is our leading goal kicker.

cross2012
Club Player

Scollop wrote:cross2012

2011 started 18 months ago...not last summer

No argument with your comment that Roo is a champion, but Roo needs to be kept fresh or at least we manage/reduce his game time. What's wrong with making him the fricken sub. Symbolically it will be a wake up to Roo and to the fans and to the older players - it's actually emphasising transition.

Mike Sheehan????!!!....Please

Probably let my argument down relying on a mike Sheehan assessment :lol:
My point is so far this year is on par with prior years. Statistically His kicking is better than Buddy's and he is moving really well.
TBH i expected a bit of a drop off but it hasnt happened yet. Most KPP's are struggling with the way the game is played but Nick keeps delivering
He is an out and out champion and deserves more support than a few of the other posts in this thread (not so much your post Scallop)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's alright, happens to the best of us...I've also used Mike's top 50 to prove a point...and it was along the same lines of supporting Roo

The hardest thing for a perfectionist like Roo, and for a champion that has unfulfilled goals, is that it's hard to maintain that workload and that competitiveness as younger blokes and your opponents improve (Banger was a case in point also). You can see the frustration in Roo and constantly looking for frees when there is a contest. Sure that's going to happen from time to time, but it's the arguing with umpires and giving away 50mtres penalties creeping into his game and the body language that is not productive when you are the on field leader.

We all know that the time is near that the coach and the club need to transition from Roo as captain. When Scott Watters was appointed, the club and coach left the captaincy decision open, and not naming him captain until earlier this year was the first small step.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Jack is a bit naughty ;)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FACT
Both riewoldts are very very good football players
END OF FACT

paddy
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Jack is a bit naughty ;)

Clearly i am dumb, because i dont really get it?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:
SainterK wrote:Jack is a bit naughty ;)

Clearly i am dumb, because i dont really get it?
You know that ad on TV paddy, where people put something into the waters of Tasmania and the thing comes out better?

That is a rip off of the scene where the guy pushes his girlfriend in the water, that guy has pushed Nick in and he gets Jack instead....hinting at the fact he is better.

kimberly saint
Club Player

only one guy at rich worth a million atm T cotchin

Jack may be close after another good year, he has played on b and c grade defenders last two weeks .