Saints v Crows - preview & discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Crows - preview & discussion

On form Gwilt would be the one to miss out if either McEvoy or Fisher are fit IMO. Geary for Newnes seems logical. I reckon Simpkin and Clarke retain their positions. If Saad misses Schneider plays a full game and Cripps or Ray as sub.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Given we need to win almost all our remaining games, we need to win this one to be in flag contention.

Anyway, back to reality.....

If Saad is out it would be a massive blow IMO....his speed and tackling is vital against any top team - especially an interstate match.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

I hope the selectors are thinking about what happened against Richmond? Maric had a field day with no tall opponent - Jacobs will do the same. If Ben is ready don't give it another week or two to be sure. He needs to be in now.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:McEvoy and Fisher have missed a fair bit of footy, do we risk them this week or bring them
back after the BYE, do they need a run at SANDY.... :shock:

Not sure how many Geary has missed, might be hard for Geary to replace Raph
run chips in the vfl?...you have got to be kidding....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
bobmurray wrote:McEvoy and Fisher have missed a fair bit of footy, do we risk them this week or bring them
back after the BYE, do they need a run at SANDY.... :shock:

Not sure how many Geary has missed, might be hard for Geary to replace Raph
run chips in the vfl?...you have got to be kidding....
geary has missed only the two....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Last time out, Milne and Schneider shared 13 between them against the Crows at Etihad. Adelaide were insipid in what turned out to be Craig's last game at the helm, but the mosquito fleet might actually be the key.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... %7C+AFL%29

VETERAN midfielder Lenny Hayes is primed for a titanic battle against the polished and in-form Adelaide Crows midfield in Adelaide on Friday night.

The Saints are clinging on to eighth spot, with Carlton, Fremantle and Richmond breathing down their necks, and must counter the Crows, who have made a stunning 8-2 start to the season.

The Saints enjoyed a 95-point romp against the Gold Coast at the weekend, celebrating Nick Riewoldt's 500th career goal.

However Hayes, who helped the Saints to a 42-27 clearances success and 65-31 inside 50 dominance against the Suns, knows Adelaide will be a far tougher assignment.

Hayes said the Saints faced its ultimate test against the Crows to break a win-loss sequence that has stretched back to the Rd 3 win over the Western Bulldogs.

"It's been a little bit like a rollercoaster this season, hopefully we can back that up and buck that trend a little bit,'' Hayes said.

"There's probably no better test in footy at the moment than Adelaide over there, they're going really well.

"We haven't been able to string a few wins together, so hopefully this is the start of a bit of a run.''

Hayes said the St Kilda playing group is looking forward to facing a side that boasts depth across the ground, and especially in the midfield.

"They've got a number of really good players in great form and I think their midfield is up there with any midfield in the comp with (Scott) Thompson, (Patrick) Dangerfield, (Rory) Sloane, these sort of guys through there.

"It's going to be a big challenge but one we're looking forward to.

"I think the better sides in the competition have got that midfield depth, teams like Collingwood, Adelaide and West Coast - so if you try to shut one or two down, there's probably two or three others that can bob up.

"We're going to have to pit ourselves against some of their better players and almost go head-to-head in some match ups, because you can't cover all of them.''

But Hayes believes the Saints will be able to match the Crows with a potent forward-line and an emerging midfield depth.

"Hopefully they've got a few things to think about with our midfield as well. We back ourselves as having a fair bit of depth in there, with guys like Jack Steven and (David) Armitage having really good years, so we think we match up pretty well," he said.

"All over the ground we're going to have to shut down a few of their keys and I'm sure they're looking at us thinking the same thing.

"It's Friday night, we don't play too many Friday night games, and over there its going to be a big hostile crowd, so we're looking forward to it.''

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Really looking forward to this game. Biggest of the year for us - win and we're right amongst it; lose and we're least likely of us, the tigers, freo to take Carlton's spot.
And if chips is fit you put him straight in - way too good to be wasted in the vfl on such an important game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I’ve got a good feeling about this game.
Hey K, when did you last have a bad feeling about us? :)

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Chips is right and so is Big Boy

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Chips is right and so is Big Boy
Makes for a very nice problem. Gears may find it hard to break back in, though if there is an area we are light on, it's small defenders…

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Richmond...

paddy
Club Player

I think that Chips and Benny Mac are an automatic in.

The only way they dont play, is if they are still a little tight.

I am not sure how Gwilt is going, he had a bag of ice strapped to his knee as soon as the siren sounded on Saturday (this may be standard practice though, I dont know)

Ben is needed to allow blake to spend much more time in the Backline, and the same with Kosi.

I think we will see a much bigger output from Kosi, when Rucking duties are taken away again...

jays
Club Player

hope we can get a few players back crows will be tough test

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:
Richmond...

Who did you pick?

rexy
SS Life Member

Think In McEvoy, Fisher
Out Gwilt, Schneider

Massive game, they wont have forgotten the humiliation of a 100 point drubbing and sacking of a coach last time out!

Saints by 44

Maybe this year?
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Makes for a very nice problem. Gears may find it hard to break back in, though if there is an area we are light on, it's small defenders…
We are 8th on the ladder and we have problems with players getting back into the side?

I don't think so...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
villasaint wrote:Did ray play?
Apparently for Sandringham yesterday.
Well this has me gobsmacked. Can't believe that Ray was dropped. Thought he had been playing great since returning to the team. I want him back in! :x

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
dragit wrote:
We are 8th on the ladder and we have problems with players getting back into the side?

I don't think so...
If it is difficult to know who to drop, that is a good problem, comprende?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Fresh from the bye, Adelaide will begin its assault on the second half of the season - and a possible top-four finish - against the Saints in its only Friday-night game of the year. Depending on end-of-season form, either of these two sides could be considered a real premiership threat. With each expected to be around the mark come round 23, this shapes as a telling encounter.

THE FOUR POINTS
ADELAIDE
1. There's no doubt Adelaide has been one of, if not the major surprise packet of 2012. The Crows are a well-rounded side with a great mix of youthful and experienced talent. How they handle the 'top-four' tag will be the interesting thing. Brenton Sanderson said it shouldn't affect them at all - we'll see on Friday night.

2. Shutting down Nick Riewoldt is always a key when facing St Kilda and he has hit peak form, booting seven goals last weekend. Daniel Talia could be the man given the opportunity to keep him quiet, which would be an intriguing duel. But along with Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke, the Saints' small forwards are just as damaging according to Sanderson. Stephen Milne, Terry Milera and Ahmed Saad have all been outstanding in 2012 and will push Adelaide's defence.

3. The last encounter resulted in an embarrassing 103-point loss for the Crows. While it's difficult to gauge just what sort of an effect past games have given they have a new coach, you can bet the players remember it all too vividly. Milne kicked eight of the best that night - the Crows could only manage three.

4. It shapes as a true battle of the midfields, with the clubs sporting two of the best cores in the game. Super Saints Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna and Nick Dal Santo will go up against Scott Thompson, Patrick Dangerfield and Rory Sloane. When you throw in names like David Armitage, Jason Blake, Jason Gram, Bernie Vince, Nathan van Berlo and Richard Douglas it really hits home just how influential the runners will be.

ST KILDA
1. The Saints' defensive and ruck stocks are set to receive a tremendous boost with the return of Sam Fisher and Ben McEvoy this week. Both players have missed more than a month through injury and will be welcome additions to the team.

2. St Kilda finds itself inside the top eight but needs to build some genuine momentum in their season if it is to be a genuine force at the end of the year. The roller-coaster nature of the Saints' season means for the past nine weeks they have not had the same result two weeks straight. They will be eager to build a winning streak.

3. Travelling to Adelaide has rarely been a positive experience for St Kilda, which has battled in games against both the Crows and the Power. Adelaide has won 11 of its 15 games hosting St Kilda, with those wins often coming with the Saints above the Crows on the ladder.

4. Six-day breaks are the scourge of coaches around the competition and St Kilda comes into this game on the back of its sixth six-day break of the season. Every club has to work around limited preparation but with St Kilda's core group of stars in their late 20s and early 30s, the grind of so many short breaks, not to mention two consecutive interstate trips, could eventually wear away at them.

The Saints expect reigning best and fairest Sam Fisher and No. 1 ruckman Ben McEvoy to return for Friday night's game against fifth-placed Adelaide at AAMI Stadium and Jarryn Geary will also be available, Clarke confirmed.

He said competition for spots in a Saints side sitting in eighth spot was healthy, and players could sense the competitiveness on the training track.

"Farren Ray got squeezed out [last week] and it took me four weeks to get back [into the team], so it's good for the club. The kids coming through are showing a lot of promise so having that depth is going to help us towards the end of the season," Clarke said.

supersaints
Club Player

Big Ben has to play this week if he is available Adelaides ruck too good to not have a genuine apponent. This will also release Blakey to play on Kirk Tiprat. Blakey is getting punished quite a bit with the bigger
ruckmen, he must be pretty sore ATM.
Crows main strength is their mids and forwards so for mine we need to bring Sam fisher back (if fit)
Gwilt doesn't look quite right to me, not moving very well he should make way But I get the feeling Watters will keep him Gwilt in, unless injured ( I presume the ice pack on his knee was just precautionary)
Geary could be a straight swap for Newnes or to be sub instead of Sniderman

It's a good position to be in looking like a lot more depth than on previous years as the young guns are developing

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Pre match function has been called off.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Banger724
Club Player

Any post match function on as has been case in past? (didn't get to Rnd 1 game..)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

crows by 6 goal

re post match function
theres another thread but the jist is there was a pre game one but it got canned due to not much interest and the chance of the usual post game one is slim, but hopefully it'll go ahead

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Blake could act as an inspiration for the returning Ben McEvoy, according to St Kilda coach Scott Watters.

McEvoy has missed the past six matches with a hamstring injury, forcing the 189cm Blake to shoulder the bulk of the ruck work in his and Rhys Stanley's absences.

On Thursday morning, McEvoy boarded a plane for Adelaide, joining the squad to take on the Crows on Friday night.

Watters said McEvoy could learn plenty from Blake.

"I've sung Blakey's praises a number of times. He is an outstanding clubman. Maybe it's a challenge for Ben McEvoy to have a look at what Jason Blake has done over the last three or four weeks and elevate his performance as a ruckman and carry the ruck stocks," Watters said before boarding the plane at Tullamarine airport.

"There's a challenge there for Ben to step up. It's his first game back but I do expect big things for Ben going forward."