Stephen Milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stephen Milne

whiskers3614 wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Really grown as a player since 2008. Kudos for Ross as well. Just love Milne, didnt know what iw as going to do when Fraser retired, now i dont know what in going to do when Milne retires
Maybe go do English & spelling classes.
Soz mate, ive got about 5 missing keys on my laptop, that makes it hard to type. Cheers for the concern

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Really grown as a player since 2008. Kudos for Ross as well. Just love Milne, didnt know what iw as going to do when Fraser retired, now i dont know what in going to do when Milne retires
Maybe go do English & spelling classes.
Soz mate, ive got about 5 missing keys on my laptop, that makes it hard to type. Cheers for the concern
Thanks for the explanation,
but unlikely I would consider any Lyon lover a "mate" especially one who has SOZ in their vocabulary!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bra, why da hate? dnt see much of a problemo?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Bra, why da hate? dnt see much of a problemo?

Further linguistic atrocities contained in that post.
Seriously apart from your Lyon-love you seem like a nice enough bloke, hopefully we find a cure for said affliction (flag from Watters?)

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Bra, why da hate? dnt see much of a problemo?

Further linguistic atrocities contained in that post.
Seriously apart from your Lyon-love you seem like a nice enough bloke, hopefully we find a cure for said affliction (flag from Watters?)
Bloody hell mate, i really dont say "soz" "da" in real life, just mucking around.
Thankyou, i am very nice. I like Scott.

saint6709
Club Player

Milne has been good this ye- can lace em with pride one more season

Saint Pup
Club Player

Have loved Milne this year as I have for the past 10. If we kepted GT and lost Milne the club would be a much worse off place. I give a lot of credit to Lyon for changing the way Milne goes about things. I would say that 2012 has been one of his best years. Before the F****** homo comments came up he was really starting to get the credit that he should from the wider football public. I would think that the knocks about not getting it downe against big
Teams should be put to bed. This year 27 of his 50 goals have come against top 8 sides.

GET UP AND ABOUT SAINTERS!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

never kicks goals against good sides in big games - except when he does. this year in important games:

1 against freo
1 against hawthorn
4 against carlton
1 against west coast
3 against sydney
3 against adelaide
2 against north
5 against essendon
5 against sydney
3 against collingwood
4 against geelong

so a quiet start to the year but has been pretty good in a lot of those games, despite the rest of the team not being great.

you could make a case for this being his best season ever. 2.5 goals a game and 4.3 scoring shots, both records for him. if he'd kicked just slightly straighter he'd be on track for 60 goals - he should still end up with 55. should play on for another year at least.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Will kick 10 next week.

Would love our cheers squad to do the "there's only one Stephen Milne "
He deserves it , because as far as I'm concerned he has given as much joy to me over the years, as when plugger was in the R W & B.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Have a feeling Milne will finish his career with a bag ala Franklin, Lockett etc at least once in his career (2005 11 doesnt count). Just one of those weird feelings that you get. Im going for 14 this week.

Legendary
Club Player

Does not get enough credit.

Since WWII, no footballers under 6ft tall have kicked more goals, except Leigh Matthews and Kevin Barlett.

And Milne has more goals than Barlett at the same number of games (255). Barlett's figures are inflated by his ridiculous longevity. Milne has averaged more goals. Even if you take away Barlett's first 6 seasons so that he and Milne are on roughly the same number of games (and time playing up forward), their records are equal.

Milne has a better record than Daicos who many cite as the best permanent forward pocket since WWII.

He is an absolute champion who is playing as well as he has at any time in his career.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:Would love our cheers squad to do the "there's only one Stephen Milne "
He deserves it , because as far as I'm concerned he has given as much joy to me over the years, as when plugger was in the R W & B.
I'm pretty sure they do use that ditty...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mordi
Club Player

Where does Milney rank in finals played for Saints?

What's the Point of it All?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milne has also in the main stood up in the big games as well this year.

Main error this year was allowing Harry O to get int his head in the Pies game and distract him...giving away easy frees, and having the ump looking tp give awy frees against him as well.

He has had a brilliant year. Should be a deserved AA selection this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
battye
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Have a feeling Milne will finish his career with a bag ala Franklin, Lockett etc at least once in his career (2005 11 doesnt count). Just one of those weird feelings that you get. Im going for 14 this week.
11 counts in my books.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Have a feeling Milne will finish his career with a bag ala Franklin, Lockett etc at least once in his career (2005 11 doesnt count). Just one of those weird feelings that you get. Im going for 14 this week.
11 counts in my books.
I should of made myself clear. Thats in the past, in the future im talking about.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
battye wrote:
11 counts in my books.
I should of made myself clear. Thats in the past, in the future im talking about.
What were you talking about then. Franklin's career isn't finished and Lockett certainly didn't finish off his career with a big bag. His last double figure return was 4 years before he finished.

11 definitely counts and I can't see Milney getting near that again.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
What were you talking about then. Franklin's career isn't finished and Lockett certainly didn't finish off his career with a big bag. His last double figure return was 4 years before he finished.

11 definitely counts and I can't see Milney getting near that again.
It's just his gut feeling but I call it pure football genius.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:never kicks goals against good sides in big games - except when he does. this year in important games:

1 against freo
1 against hawthorn
4 against carlton
1 against west coast
3 against sydney
3 against adelaide
2 against north
5 against essendon
5 against sydney
3 against collingwood
4 against geelong

so a quiet start to the year but has been pretty good in a lot of those games, despite the rest of the team not being great.

you could make a case for this being his best season ever. 2.5 goals a game and 4.3 scoring shots, both records for him. if he'd kicked just slightly straighter he'd be on track for 60 goals - he should still end up with 55. should play on for another year at least.

and his quiet start to the year was because he was sore! (this according to Watters when milne was playing his 250th.

we were all bagging him, saying this should be his last year,but..... look what happens when he is free from injury.

mcadam05
Club Player

He Kicked 50goals in a Season for the sixth time passing the Big G now only behind Lockett and Mohr

Most 50 goal or more Season's For St Kilda (Min 4)

Seasons
10 Tony Lockett
8 Bill Mohr
6 Stephen Milne
5 Fraser Gehrig
4 George Young
Stewart Loewe
Nick Riewoldt

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Does not get enough credit.

Since WWII, no footballers under 6ft tall have kicked more goals, except Leigh Matthews and Kevin Barlett.

And Milne has more goals than Barlett at the same number of games (255). Barlett's figures are inflated by his ridiculous longevity. Milne has averaged more goals. Even if you take away Barlett's first 6 seasons so that he and Milne are on roughly the same number of games (and time playing up forward), their records are equal.

Milne has a better record than Daicos who many cite as the best permanent forward pocket since WWII.

He is an absolute champion who is playing as well as he has at any time in his career.

Come on! Let's be fair. Daicos, Bartlett and Matthews ALL played a great deal of their career as mid fielders. When these other blokes (who WERE champions of the game) moved into the fwd line they were far better small fwds than what Milne was/is. Milney is a ripper but he certainly has his deficiencies. Let's just love him for what he is. The term champion is thrown around a bit too easily I reckon. Milney is no champion, but he's an excellent small fwd who is finally being recognised for his efforts up fwd.

Milney's kicking skills are no where near these other players you mentioned. He has great reflexes and athleticism, but is actually quite slow for his size. Lets be completely honest. If you had a choice of Daicos, Bartlett, Matthews or Milne to play fwd pocket who would you choose? I think any of the first three mentioned, and Milney would be 4th choice every day of the week. Nothing wrong with that because all those other players were legends of their era.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

All those years watching Milne and I never realised he was slow and couldn't kick. Thanks for pointing that out Moods.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"