BJ offered $1.9m over three years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: BJ offered $1.9m over three years

[quote="mbogo"][quote="matrix"]what tax would you pay on 600 G's a year?
100 grand??

half a mill in ya pocket each year?[/quote]
My guess would be 240K .. but there are accountants here. He still gets to earn more than the Prime Minister - which I always find to be pretty amusing - that coaches and top players get more than the country's leader.[/quote]
Dead right, bongo. Not only the coaches and players, but the physical conditioning staff. It makes me laugh when I see that Dean "The Weapon" Robinson earns more than the PM and his main claim to fame prior to destroying young men's legs, was that he was a rodeo clown! No wonder we have the politicians we have!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="mbogo"][quote="matrix"]what tax would you pay on 600 G's a year?
100 grand??

half a mill in ya pocket each year?[/quote]
My guess would be 240K .. but there are accountants here. He still gets to earn more than the Prime Minister - which I always find to be pretty amusing - that coaches and top players get more than the country's leader.[/quote]
Dead right, bongo. Not only the coaches and players, but the physical conditioning staff. It makes me laugh when I see that Dean "The Weapon" Robinson earns more than the PM and his main claim to fame prior to destroying young men's legs, was that he was a rodeo clown! No wonder we have the politicians we have!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we get Caddy and a young gun fwd Ill be a very happy chappy and wish BJ all the best.
I think he is a great player but 4 years 600k would be reckless given the age profile of our list.
We need to save some salary cap room for future young guns - not become a high paid retirement village for ex stars who made 2 grand finals a few years ago.

older saint
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:240!!!!
on 600

what a f****** rort that would be!!!

joffa youre the accountant head
whats the answer
As someone in this profession on raw figures tax is about $243,000 without deductions - well done on the guess. Obviosuly he most likely will package some of this with FB and may well have some negative gearing in there also.

Good accountant / FP wil hopefully have many things set up to minise the tax.

Good manoy still if you can get it

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:To much IMO. he is a 500k player at best. Dont see why he should be our highest paid player which he will be in 2 years. One top3 in the B&F in 10 years of footy.
we don't often agree plugs, but nice to see that you're right for a change :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:To much IMO. he is a 500k player at best. Dont see why he should be our highest paid player which he will be in 2 years. One top3 in the B&F in 10 years of footy.
we don't often agree plugs, but nice to see that you're right for a change :wink:
:D
Con Gorozidis wrote:If we get Caddy and a young gun fwd Ill be a very happy chappy and wish BJ all the best.
I think he is a great player but 4 years 600k would be reckless given the age profile of our list.
We need to save some salary cap room for future young guns - not become a high paid retirement village for ex stars who made 2 grand finals a few years ago.
Thanks for all you've done BJ. You're welcome back anytime. (Enjoy life sucking in the av' gas fumes training at Tullamarine... long way from any cafes, let alone a beach. :lol: )

I'll take the extra pick and freed up space in the salary cap. But most important of all, I'll take the move to towards bringing our player payments set-up into line with those of the Hillbillys, Skunks and Skid Marks. :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
andrewg
Club Player

Offer is great if he leaves good luck to him. Bombers need much more than Goddard to help them out.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think everyone is on the same page here.

That is a great deal over three years.

If he leaves after we put that in front of him, then good luck.

I still think he played one of the best ever games by any individual for this club in GF1 2010.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, we appear to pick and choose when we believe newspaper articles on here?

When BJ maintained the club had not put in offer to him as of a month ago, nobody appeared to believe him then.

I'm not going to assume the club has done all it should here, I still think it should of put in an offer much earlier this year and at least tried to secure him before he became an object of interest to other clubs. Like with the Ross Lyon scenario, there didn't appear to be any great rush or urgency?

If it was true that the club only just offered him the money a matter of a few weeks ago, I don't think Chris Pelchen should of been on radio washing the clubs hands of any perceived delays declaring that they ought to ask BJ's manager what was taking so long. I'd be annoyed as well if I'd been waiting on the club, and then they put the blame for delays back on me.

My gut feel is Pelchen has come in as he does, playing hardball, which is all well and good. However if he crosses the line, and offends someone who has played 200 games because he's only been on the scene 2 minutes, I'll be really annoyed.

Nobody will change my opinion either, that genuine circumstances have seen him not at his absolute best (even still he finished 4th in the best & fairest) and I truly believe that he believes he will be back to his best Rd 1 next year after a good preseason. I looked into the hip surgery he had, it was significant, and I think he'll be good to go next year and just truly hope it's in the RWB.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Firstly, we appear to pick and choose when we believe newspaper articles on here?

When BJ maintained the club had not put in offer to him as of a month ago, nobody appeared to believe him then.

I'm not going to assume the club has done all it should here, I still think it should of put in an offer much earlier this year and at least tried to secure him before he became an object of interest to other clubs. Like with the Ross Lyon scenario, there didn't appear to be any great rush or urgency?

If it was true that the club only just offered him the money a matter of a few weeks ago, I don't think Chris Pelchen should of been on radio washing the clubs hands of any perceived delays declaring that they ought to ask BJ's manager what was taking so long. I'd be annoyed as well if I'd been waiting on the club, and then they put the blame for delays back on me.

My gut feel is Pelchen has come in as he does, playing hardball, which is all well and good. However if he crosses the line, and offends someone who has played 200 games because he's only been on the scene 2 minutes, I'll be really annoyed.

Nobody will change my opinion either, that genuine circumstances have seen him not at his absolute best (even still he finished 4th in the best & fairest) and I truly believe that he believes he will be back to his best Rd 1 next year after a good preseason. I looked into the hip surgery he had, it was significant, and I think he'll be good to go next year and just truly hope it's in the RWB.

Pelchen is a hard arse but like with Dawson he has an assumed value for a player and rarely flexes from it. I think he knows we don't need to pay overs for anyone in the role Goddard plays his best in-a quarterback rebound defender. We have too many and probably why Clarke isn't playing. Dempster, Fisher, Simpkin, Gwilt all similar sizes and roles with Clarke quite similar, Gilbert able to fulfil that role and Gram like a smaller version with Cripps a rebound running defender and Newnes getting a run there also. Paying massive amounts to any player in that role isn't great list management and I'm not convinced he is a good player when he is tagged hard or used in a key position role. So you have a one paced player with great skills but some questions over his one on one ability and we have to fit a full back in somehow.

I think the list managers want him to stay on their terms but not overly sad if they swap him for a first round pick.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote: Nobody will change my opinion either, that genuine circumstances have seen him not at his absolute best (even still he finished 4th in the best & fairest) and I truly believe that he believes he will be back to his best Rd 1 next year after a good preseason. I looked into the hip surgery he had, it was significant, and I think he'll be good to go next year and just truly hope it's in the RWB.
so what is the excuse for 2011?

Seeya
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote: Nobody will change my opinion either, that genuine circumstances have seen him not at his absolute best (even still he finished 4th in the best & fairest) and I truly believe that he believes he will be back to his best Rd 1 next year after a good preseason. I looked into the hip surgery he had, it was significant, and I think he'll be good to go next year and just truly hope it's in the RWB.
so what is the excuse for 2011?
?

He injured his hip Rd 1 2011 v the Cats.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"If you leave me now, 
you'll take away the biggest part of me,
Uh uh uh uh no BJ please don't go ..."

fingers
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Need to remember StKilda have the option to match a free agency offer, hene they need to keep some of the amo dry. If he takes 3 years great , if the match involves a 4th year the club has the option to add it. if they offer a 4th year straight up they have no where to move and tell everyone else where the water mark is.

I don't think we have to MATCH the offer. We just get the chance to put our best and final on the table. Not that it matters. Like others have said. I want him to stay. If this is accurate then it's a more than reasonable offer. If he chooses more money elsewhere then so be it.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote: ?

but that does not fit with reality, a crippling injury in rnd 1 & he only missed two games in 2011
and if what you are saying it is a significant injury then the club is right to not offer him an extended contract over $500k
His numbers built up to a career high year in 2010, since then it has been a markedly reduced output, and in my view the bulk of the problem lies above the shoulders

Seeya
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote: ?

but that does not fit with reality, a crippling injury in rnd 1 & he only missed two games in 2011
and if what you are saying it is a significant injury then the club is right to not offer him an extended contract over $500k
His numbers built up to a career high year in 2010, since then it has been a markedly reduced output, and in my view the bulk of the problem lies above the shoulders
I did not say it was a crippling injury, I don't know much the injury itself, just that he carried it for a full season.

I am saying the surgery to correct it was significant if you google it, and for mine, the fact he started to leap again and kick well towards the end of this season does fit in with reality. You are welcome to have the opinion that it was the mental part of his game that saw his handball ratio increase last year, and his kicking go down in both numbers and efficiency, I just reckon the above probably justified it more.

I wish that BJ and Ross had come to the conclusion that he should have surgery there and then, come back mid way last year and at least enjoyed a full preseason without any surgery prior.......but understand that BJ may of played a part in putting his hand up to play through it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:what tax would you pay on 600 G's a year?
100 grand??

half a mill in ya pocket each year?

Bloody hell matrix, I would like to know your accountant.

If it was purely PAYG the top marginal rate is currently 45% kicking in after about 180k.

Works out to be about $225k a year.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
matrix wrote:240!!!!
on 600

what a f****** rort that would be!!!

joffa youre the accountant head
whats the answer
As someone in this profession on raw figures tax is about $243,000 without deductions - well done on the guess. Obviosuly he most likely will package some of this with FB and may well have some negative gearing in there also.

Good accountant / FP wil hopefully have many things set up to minise the tax.

Good manoy still if you can get it
Yep about right - however if he has any sense whatsoever he will have it in investments that he can minimise his tax on.

Negative gearing is always an opton, however you are in effect only get back 45% of what you have deemed to have "lost" on the outlay of the investment 9on the hope of a capital gain). Of course non monetary deductions like F&F and capital deductions are included however it is not the best option.

Anyways, he is probably paying between 150-200k in tax a year on $600k.

Still getting $400k a year in your kick for kicking a footy isn't a bad way to make your living.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Also on raw figures, the difference between 650k and 750k is about 34k in your pocket.

Over three years it is 100k in your pocket.

Lance or James??

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

If I was BJ I'd take it and hang the discussion about the fourth year.

Besides the sad event of John McCarthy's death this week, must surely leaving some (not all) players reflecting on whether or not they really want to leave the one club they've known and loved and who've loved them.

It's not always about the dollars. (hint hint BJ)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Still getting $400k a year in your kick for kicking a footy isn't a bad way to make your living.
And it's even better if you're a bloke getting say $150-$300k a year when you can't kick a footy (no one in particular mind you, but I'm sure some teams have em :wink: )

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Go for the money and the longer security.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Buckets
SS Life Member

Because 3 years and $650k just isn't enough hey clarky! :roll:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Because 3 years and $650k just isn't enough hey clarky! :roll:
i'd take the longer deal, personally. people leave workplaces and move cities all the time, it's not that hard. we want him to stay with "his mates" but who really knows who much sway that has with him? in five years most of his current teammates will be gone from the saints anyway.

Buckets
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Buckets wrote:Because 3 years and $650k just isn't enough hey clarky! :roll:
i'd take the longer deal, personally. people leave workplaces and move cities all the time, it's not that hard. we want him to stay with "his mates" but who really knows who much sway that has with him? in five years most of his current teammates will be gone from the saints anyway.
How is it that the only player to have left Geelong was Ablett and he was paid over a million. The rest including Bartell Kelly Ling Taylor Selwood etc are happy with the 500k! Bj has said that he would rather stay at the club or is that just spin and is after the better money?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you