Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

SainterK wrote:What I love, is we are being so strong because we don't want the FA market to dictate or inflate BJ's value, but we're deluded enough to think it won't dictate or inflate everyone elses?

What are these big names we are going to attract, and why are they going to be happy to stay under a 'geelong like model' and earn less with us?
Exactly why we shouldn't start paying the inflated rates…

FA will inflate Stanley, Armo, Steven, Saad, Geary, Simpkin, McEvoy etc etc etc value too... We've been running the contracts like a pyramid scheme for too long, whereby the guys at the top are laughing but we can't afford any decent support for them to actually close the deal on a flag.

Enough's enough…

I am 100% behind the club on this one, if it's good enough for Lenny, it should be good enough for everyone else…

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
BigMart wrote:I would have offered him 5!!

Not a combative player... 6+ years of footy in him

Don't see the big deal on length of contract, there's no restraint on that... Money understandable, but it seems that we wanted BJ to test the market

Good idea

I think not!!

Only club to lose a big name player in season 1 of free agency

You guessed it

The mighty SAINTS!!!

We do hold some inglorious record in our history
So thankful your not running the club!

6 years??? WOW!

If he can't take 3 which would take him to 30 then let him go.

Club is always bigger than the individual.
Club is also capable of stuffing up sometimes Buckets?

I love the loyalty Saints fans have put in Pelchen, just excuse me if I'm not willing to just yet.

I mean, I've physically seen BJ bleed for the club and do everything to try and win it a flag....Chris has a long way to go before being bigger than that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Compared to Hayes and Roo, BJ is expensive.

Compared to Gram and Kosi he is cheap.

However if you are going to right the ship, you have to start paying enough to you best, that it does not cripple you with the rest.

It is probably unfortunate for BJ that he is up for renegotiation just when this form of list management is occurring, and unfortunate for the Saints, and Saint Fans, for it to coincide with free agency as in past years we probably could have traded a better outcome than pick 13.

For a while now the Saints have overpaid the best young guns. Ball was overpaid early in theory to keep him from walking, but as soon as he could walk he did with no compunction about doing it ina way that minmised vale that the Saints may gain. Anf yes Lyon and Ball did not see eye to eye, but equally a year after he lef the Saints Ball was fiiter than he had been for many years at the Saints. Gram after a magnificient GF jumpred up the salary ranks, but then did not sustain that GF form.

BJ for the last 2 years has beena good player, rather than a great player.

But his contract this year is in the eye of the storm...and you have to draw a line somewhere.

Unless injury strikes BJ is very likely to play 100 games for the Dons.

Pick 13 can be anywhere from several to 300. Percentage wise it would lean towards the lower based on long-term trends.

This year does promise however that at around that mark we shoud gain at least a capable player that would play 100 games. Pelchen and Co. we assume have been burning the midinght oil to assess exactly how good the likely candidates that will be left are.

Expeactation of the pick 13 is going to be a lot, lot greater than normal for sucha pick due to this.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Buckets wrote:
BigMart wrote:I would have offered him 5!!

Not a combative player... 6+ years of footy in him

Don't see the big deal on length of contract, there's no restraint on that... Money understandable, but it seems that we wanted BJ to test the market

Good idea

I think not!!

Only club to lose a big name player in season 1 of free agency

You guessed it

The mighty SAINTS!!!

We do hold some inglorious record in our history
So thankful your not running the club!

6 years??? WOW!

If he can't take 3 which would take him to 30 then let him go.

Club is always bigger than the individual.
Club is also capable of stuffing up sometimes Buckets?

I love the loyalty Saints fans have put in Pelchen, just excuse me if I'm not willing to just yet.

I mean, I've physically seen BJ bleed for the club and do everything to try and win it a flag....Chris has a long way to go before being bigger than that.

I'm with you on this one K.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
I mean, I've physically seen BJ bleed for the club and do everything to try and win it a flag...

While I take you point on Pelchen, Bakes bled for the club often...but it was the right call to "retire" him and give his bp place to Geary late last year. Good call, right call!!!

So spilt blood and passion are not enough.

Hayes exhibits even more passion (plus plentt of claret), but in a more focussed way. That he has played for less than BJ is a sign of what the relative payments should be.

BJ like, Gram, has been on very good money for a great GF, but the forms of the last 2 years has not equalled the money played.

Whether this is a good call, right call I suspect we will not know for several years.

Though one thing I do know..we will only go back up the ladder by making hard and good decisions. Can Pelchen deliver? Well we will just have to wait an see.

Remember though that we played without a proper full back this year due to salary cap pressure, and that cost us dear in many games. If you wanta full back, and other deficiencies fixed, then you need to also give him the room to move to achieve it.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 30 Sep 2012 10:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who is running the show here

Pelchin, Watters, Bains???

Either way losing an elite player is something we do very well...

Stewart, Ditterich, Greene, Lockett, Hall, Everitt, Ball, Goddard

Many of which went onto better things at their new homes...

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Any chance of Gram and Kosi renegotiating their absurd contracts in order to keep Goddard?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who is running the show here

Well I assume that it is Pelchin, who was brought in above Lyon. Watter and the others are under Pelchin.

IMO it was one of the main reasons why Lyon ended up leaving.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:
I mean, I've physically seen BJ bleed for the club and do everything to try and win it a flag...

While I take you point on Pelchen, Bakes bled for the club often...but it was the right call to "retire" him and give his bp place to Geary late last year. Good call, right call!!!

Hayes exhibits even more passion (plus plentt of claret), but in a more focussed way. That he has played for less than BJ is a sign of what the relative payments should be.

BJ like ram has been on very good money for a great GF, but the forms of the last 2 years has not equalled the money played.

Whether this is a good call, right call I suspect we will not know for several years.

Though one thing I do know..we will only go back up the ladder by making hard and good decisions. can Pelchen deliver? Well we will just have to wait an see.

Remember though that we played without a proper full back this year due to salary cap pressure, and that cost us dear in many games.
Bad example

Bakes should of retired a year earlier and given his spot to Geary, he shouldn't even by his own admission have played in the grand final replay....well done if you wanted to make me even crosser :P

I don't buy the argument that our salary cap forced us to be full back-less this year, why on earth then did they retain Polo, Peake etc for only 2-3 games between them?

Muscle flexing is only appearing to happen when they pick and choose?

I don't actually mind the flexing, I'm a realist and know it comes at some point, I am annoyhed at when and who they are applying it to.

Peake keep, Polo keep, Dawson meh?

Come on now.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Either way losing an elite player is something we do very well...

Many of which went onto better things at their new homes...

So you like the idea of paying overs for a player and hurting the rest of the list?

We all want a flag but at what point do you say enough is enough?

The bombers look as if they may have to lose 4 players to get 1! And two of them would be KPP that is ridiculous! The pressure on Bj to perform will be overwhelming! I wish him all the best. Hopefully the money lets him sleep easier!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

Yes rare has been the deal that has gone our way. Hamill was one.

Free agnency means that we can extract little value too.

Buckets
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

BJ like ram has been on very good money for a great GF, but the forms of the last 2 years has not equalled the money played.

Though one thing I do know..we will only go back up the ladder by making hard and good decisions. can Pelchen deliver? Well we will just have to wait an see.

Remember though that we played without a proper full back this year due to salary cap pressure, and that cost us dear in many games.
Bad example

Bakes should of retired a year earlier and given his spot to Geary, he shouldn't even by his own admission have played in the grand final replay....well done if you wanted to make me even crosser :P

I don't buy the argument that our salary cap forced us to be full back-less this year, why on earth then did they retain Polo, Peake etc for only 2-3 games between them?

Muscle flexing is only appearing to happen when they pick and choose?

I don't actually mind the flexing, I'm a realist and know it comes at some point, I am annoyhed at when and who they are applying it to.

Peake keep, Polo keep, Dawson meh?

Come on now.
The thing was that those players were willing to stay on for a lot less than what Dawson was after. He walked simple.

This is the club staying strong and saying that we will not be held hostage to inflated contracts. We complain about the Grams and Kosi's whose contracts seem ridiculous, but when the club decides enough is enough they are automatically not doing the right thing.

Listen to Watters speech at the B&F he spelt it out very clearly the time of pandering to the few is over, this is a team game not an individual one, if you can't be apart of the team then you leave.

Bj would be the highest paid player at the bombers. That in itself is amazing as you would think that Jobe Watson captain and Brownlow medalist might now seek more money and I don't blame him! Bombers have shot themselves in the foot over this!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Well I assume that it is Pelchin, who was brought in above Lyon. Watter and the others are under Pelchin.

I see that. I just cant see how the Senior Coach isint the top of the pack. Senior Coach should be IMO.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Free agency has the potential to cause a flood gate situation with plenty of moves at the end of every season, getting the spending reined in will help long term and stave off a whole lot of losses over the next few years. We were close to the cap at the wrong time with plenty of older players. We will be better placed to keep Dal and Fisher in the future with the line in the sand drawn now. Essendon will have their own issues long term now and set themselves a precedent that can hurt the fabric of the team. They might get a flag first but long term they will hurt themselves.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote: The thing was that those players were willing to stay on for a lot less than what Dawson was after. He walked simple.

This is the club staying strong and saying that we will not be held hostage to inflated contracts. We complain about the Grams and Kosi's whose contracts seem ridiculous, but when the club decides enough is enough they are automatically not doing the right thing.

Listen to Watters speech at the B&F he spelt it out very clearly the time of pandering to the few is over, this is a team game not an individual one, if you can't be apart of the team then you leave.

Bj would be the highest paid player at the bombers. That in itself is amazing as you would think that Jobe Watson captain and Brownlow medalist might now seek more money and I don't blame him! Bombers have shot themselves in the foot over this!
The thing was, they should of probably been cut (sorry guys, but it's true) last year, but weren't...they were surplus to our needs, never got a game, and took up space in a tight cap.

That is probably in hindsight, a cross against Pelchen already.

This is the club staying strong in an era where we'll slowly watch more of our good players walk out the door....it's too late, it's romantic, and it's going to massively backfire.

So the FA won't dictate our players worth, but somehow that won't apply to guys we seek to bring in?

Buckets, it's not going to work like that anymore.

If we have to pay a little overs, I'd rather it's BJ the beneficiary than someone we woo from another club with big money.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

I see that. I just cant see how the Senior Coach isint the top of the pack. Senior Coach should be IMO.
Ross ruined it for the next guy by running the list down through poor recruiting and development. If he'd had a better strike rate as developer he might not have needed an overseer. Teams like the Hawks have 5 year plans and list management is seen as important as coaching. Successful clubs manage more for the long term.

noob
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Any chance of Gram and Kosi renegotiating their absurd contracts in order to keep Goddard?
This. Kosi could well be equal to what Riewoldt is getting next year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
The thing was, they should of probably been cut (sorry guys, but it's true) last year, but weren't...they were surplus to our needs, never got a game, and took up space in a tight cap.

You only really get the chance to cull when the contracts are up for renegotiation. Not sure the players you mean had contracts expiring after he came on board.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Awkward vibe at Roo's wedding I would've thought!

Nee!
Buckets
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Buckets wrote: The thing was that those players were willing to stay on for a lot less than what Dawson was after. He walked simple.

This is the club staying strong in an era where we'll slowly watch more of our good players walk out the door....it's too late, it's romantic, and it's going to massively backfire.

So the FA won't dictate our players worth, but somehow that won't apply to guys we seek to bring in?

Buckets, it's not going to work like that anymore.

If we have to pay a little overs, I'd rather it's BJ the beneficiary than someone we woo from another club with big money.

We may have FA. However the league still has a salary cap meaning you cannot pay inflated contracts. Clubs will be bitten very quickly over this. Check out Hibberds twitter already making a joke about needing a part time job #nomoremoney!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Ross ruined it for the next guy by running the list down through poor recruiting and development. If he'd had a better strike rate as developer he might not have needed an overseer. Teams like the Hawks have 5 year plans and list management is seen as important as coaching. Successful clubs manage more for the long term.

I don't think Lyon was involved in drafting, and only some of the trades.
The trades were by and large good value, relative to their cost.

Drain was brought on board, but did not work out, and was let go.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

You only really get the chance to cull when the contracts are up for renegotiation. Not sure the players you mean had contracts expiring after he came on board.
Pretty sure they did

suss
Club Player

noob wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Any chance of Gram and Kosi renegotiating their absurd contracts in order to keep Goddard?
This. Kosi could well be equal to what Riewoldt is getting next year.
While Kosi and Gram are overpaid they can't be blamed for Brendon wanting $700k per year. It's his choice to leave, not theirs.

|Andy|
Club Player

I reckon we're going to start to see an era where everyone is signed for an extra year and if they're not willing to re-sign a year before their contract ends, they'll be fished around in the trade period.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's obviously what he's worth..... If someone is willing to pay it

Value is determined by market ......