Why Caddy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Re: Why Caddy?

Looks similar to Armo, good build, ok kicking and wants the ball

PJ
SS Life Member

I keep hearing the cats are ahead of us in the so called race for Caddy ..... I really don't get this given their pick is undefined.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
noob
Club Player

I rather go in with two first round draft picks. How many of previous years have we really stuffed up? A lot. So to have two which we haven't had for 'years!' is a major chance to unearth something great.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

noob wrote:I rather go in with two first round draft picks. How many of previous years have we really stuffed up? A lot. So to have two which we haven't had for 'years!' is a major chance to unearth something great.
Caddy = sure thing. Pick 13 = 50/50 over the years. Thats my opinion...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
PJ
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
noob wrote:I rather go in with two first round draft picks. How many of previous years have we really stuffed up? A lot. So to have two which we haven't had for 'years!' is a major chance to unearth something great.
I'd debate that Caddy is a sure thing.

Rosco
Club Player

better than 50/50 though?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Caddy hasn't done much yet but go back and look at his ability at Vic Metro. He's able to just tear through the centre traffic and twist out the other side with out getting tackled. He has the evasive abilities of a young Judd and also has the same ability to motor away from the centre with the ball. He looks very good and with a bit of bulk would be a dominator at AFL level.

PJ
SS Life Member

Rosco wrote:better than 50/50 though?
Yeh but where does 50/50 come from. All 1st rounders are highly scrutinized players that have had a great deal of assessment done on them. They are not blokes that have just popped up for the occasional BOG they are watched, analyzed, interviewed, tested, statistically calibrated and rated.

noob
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
Well wouldn't your chances be better if you have two picks one after another? More of a chance of getting a decent player right. It's like saying that Caddy doesn't end up living up to expectations and our pick 12 could be useless on your assessment.. The recruiting staff and whoever else involved should be sacked if both those picks don't eventuate in years to come.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I keep hearing the cats are ahead of us in the so called race for Caddy ..... I really don't get this given their pick is undefined.
gives GC greater flexibility re list having another 1st rounder 12 months down the track (better age/development spread)

saint4life
gringo
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
PJ wrote:I keep hearing the cats are ahead of us in the so called race for Caddy ..... I really don't get this given their pick is undefined.
gives GC greater flexibility re list having another 1st rounder 12 months down the track (better age/development spread)
supposedly they have to cull players from their list this year as they had an extended squad for the first couple of years. Now they have to drop players off the list and so they don't want to have to take on new draft picks this year when they actually need to cull numbers. This way they get to use it next year with a little more of an idea of who won't make it and with an idea of weaknesses of the squad.

We are better placed to give them the compo pick adelaide might demand for Tippett though.

PJ
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
Makes sense....guess it depends on their opinion of the current crop.

savatage
SS Life Member

If Geelong finish high on the ladder next year, that pick becomes a crappy pick for GC. They would be taking a greater risk waiting until next year.

Rosco
Club Player

PJ wrote:
Yeh but where does 50/50 come from. All 1st rounders are highly scrutinized players that have had a great deal of assessment done on them. They are not blokes that have just popped up for the occasional BOG they are watched, analyzed, interviewed, tested, statistically calibrated and rated.
Tom Lynch.

Having two 50/50 selections doesn't guarantee you anything, but caddy appears to be a player that will at least give good service.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
PJ wrote:
Tom Lynch.

Having two 50/50 selections doesn't guarantee you anything, but caddy appears to be a player that will at least give good service.
Fiora
Tambling
Mini
Beau Dowler
Jarrad Oakley nichols
Marcus Drum
all high picks that didn't quite live up to theur early promise.

Just going early doesn't gift you games. They are always a risk and Caddy is a way of possibly avoiding the stuff ups.

PJ
SS Life Member

They're examples of bad picks or picks that didn't eventuate but I'm sure there are plenty of successes in the top tier. My point is that Caddy vs pick 13 in the draft is not a forgone.

Somehow Caddy has become almost the equivalent of Goddard in the media and as a result in the minds of the feeding frenzy of the footy public

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Rosco wrote:
PJ wrote:
Tom Lynch.

Thats true, but you'd be dirty if both were duds. The 50/50 thing is from an earlier post that showed past #13 picks and it has had about 50% success rate. I'd be happy with two good promising kids in the draft but I just think Caddy is worth 13 and could be elite one day.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Tom Lynch.

Fiora
Tambling
Mini
Beau Dowler
Jarrad Oakley nichols
Marcus Drum
all high picks that didn't quite live up to theur early promise.

Just going early doesn't gift you games. They are always a risk and Caddy is a way of possibly avoiding the stuff ups.[/quote]

Tom Lynch!! Hell....Brad Howard...

Is Caddy considered that good that he is a sure thing to make it? He's no guarantee either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

tom lynch became jack neewnes.....which is looking pretty good so far

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

Caddy's performances at AFL level this far do not justify the hype! Happy to use picks 12 & 13 on some potentially exceptional young guys in the draft.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:tom lynch became jack neewnes.....which is looking pretty good so far
I really like Jack. I think he will be a 200 game player for us.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Watts the Buzz wrote:Caddy's performances at AFL level this far do not justify the hype! Happy to use picks 12 & 13 on some potentially exceptional young guys in the draft.
Stats are similar to Judd & Hayes at the same amount of games, just sayn'

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure Caddy has done enough to justify the hype. I see a number of people on here compare him to Judd. I saw Judd play a lot of his junior footy and I still remember how gob smacked I was when we passed on him in favour of Ball. Let me state this now and if I'm wrong, may the wrath of all my fellow SS posters rain down on me. Josh Caddy is no Chris Judd and is never likely to be. Prefer Stringer and Mayes, if they are still available. That is if we can't organise a trade for Frawley. Caddy? Useful addition, for sure, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't get him.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I'm not sure Caddy has done enough to justify the hype. I see a number of people on here compare him to Judd. I saw Judd play a lot of his junior footy and I still remember how gob smacked I was when we passed on him in favour of Ball. Let me state this now and if I'm wrong, may the wrath of all my fellow SS posters rain down on me. Josh Caddy is no Chris Judd and is never likely to be. Prefer Stringer and Mayes, if they are still available. That is if we can't organise a trade for Frawley. Caddy? Useful addition, for sure, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't get him.
I don't think anyone could seriously say that he is going to be anywhere near as good as Chris Judd, however people are saying that he hasn't done anything to impress yet… but his first 20 matches stats are right up there with some of the best… not sure why people are expecting him to be at his peak at 19… no-one else is.

Caddy is tracking pretty well for a 19 year old in an ordinary side.

15 disposals/ave
2.6 tackles
17 goals

Here are a couple of other players in their first 20-odd matches

C. Judd
15 disposals/ave
2.8 tackles
21 goals

G. Ablett Jnr
11 disposals/ave
2.8 tackles
20 goals

L. Hayes
16 disposals/ave
2 tackles
10 goals

Royston
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I'm not sure Caddy has done enough to justify the hype. I see a number of people on here compare him to Judd. I saw Judd play a lot of his junior footy and I still remember how gob smacked I was when we passed on him in favour of Ball. Let me state this now and if I'm wrong, may the wrath of all my fellow SS posters rain down on me. Josh Caddy is no Chris Judd and is never likely to be. Prefer Stringer and Mayes, if they are still available. That is if we can't organise a trade for Frawley. Caddy? Useful addition, for sure, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't get him.

Interesting that as the week has gone along the Judd comparisons have been made.

I have seen hardly any of Caddy's games so can't pass judgement but surely a comarison with Judd is unrealistic.
Judd's pace when he first was drafted was electric....in all the discussions Caddy's pace has never been mentioned, so
I am just assuming he has average pace.

Judd's stats surprise that they compare with Caddy's in their respective first 2 years...

The stat that would set Judd apart would be either how many running bounces he took or distance carried.

Judd is a once in a generation - know one compares on a like for like IMO.