So the new recruits do what to our 2013 lineup?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: So the new recruits do what to our 2013 lineup?

rexy wrote:Disagree with your statement on Simpkin, better one on one defender and better kick than Gilbert IMO! Not as attacking but that's not the role we want him to play, to me Brown and Simpkin stay at home D, Geary and Dempster doing jobs and Fisher and Gwilt attacking defenders!
Agree, I like this but it just lacks a bit of pace at half back, which is why I hope Gwilt trims down and effectively takes the Gram role.

rexy
SS Life Member

If we snagged Caddy too who would/could he displace? Geary and move Dal/Steven back, Saad or Schneider in fwd line? Armo or Steven in centre??

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So Kosi Wilkes spots, and Simpkin/Gilbert spots seen as the most under pressure?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So Kosi Wilkes spots, and Simpkin/Gilbert spots seen as the most under pressure?
Simpkin is an absolute gun - but we do have a hell of a lot of medium sized defenders so maybe we will do this 13/gilbo for caddy/hickey trade.
would be fair for both parties.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:So Kosi Wilkes spots, and Simpkin/Gilbert spots seen as the most under pressure?
Simpkin is an absolute gun - but we do have a hell of a lot of medium sized defenders so maybe we will do this 13/gilbo for caddy/hickey trade.
would be fair for both parties.
Do not trade out Sammy G! He's a great player who's deficiency (kicking) is grossly overstated in my opinion... and we need him to help out with snapping the stills from our promotional video each year... you all know that's true. :idea:

Offer them Grammy instead... and show 'em all (and only) the posts on here pumping him up. If really necessary, we could offer Farren instead of Grammy, and if really really necessary we could also incorporate a further shuffling of draft picks between the two clubs as a sweetener... just as long as we are still left with adequate picks to secure Brown and Pammy. :idea:

If anyone can do it the... there's your cue TB... :D

As for us looking like having excess players in certain areas, I wouldn't be too concerned... there'll be injuries, remember them...? :(

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
hotdish
Club Player

Kossie played 19 games this season and missed one with suspension. He was effectively rested for 1 or 2 games once we were eliminated, being named an emergency once or twice I recall.

We can only carry 3 defensive talls, Brown and Fisher are 100% inclusions. I think Gwilt is versatile to play both roles, but I do not think that Simpkin will get games over Gilbert (if he plays back).

hotdish
Club Player

Kossie played 19 games this season and missed one with suspension. He was effectively rested for 1 or 2 games once we were eliminated, being named an emergency once or twice I recall. Again, I stress that Kossi will be our starting FF come round 1, 2013.

We can only carry 3 defensive talls; Brown and Fisher are 100% inclusions. I think Gwilt is versatile to play both roles, but I do not think that Simpkin will get games over Gilbert (if he plays back).

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
hotdish wrote:
It is laughable to suggest that a fit Kossi will be displaced by Lee.

'a fit kosi" is kind of like the Loch Ness Monster. It is a mythical creature sometimes sighted by drunks and stoned tourists.
Lol, although rarely seen, he shows glimpses for half a quarter where he smashes roo, kicks a goal, gives 50mtr penalties away, ball rebounds from him which results in goals for the opposition then does something stupid and gets reported, or hurts himself.
He then hides in his shell for the rest of the year.

SuperDuper
Club Player

It is laughable to suggest that a fit Kossi will be displaced by Lee.
Well, I am 100% sure he will be.
But this is one for the vault. Time will tell, and someone can say 'I told you so' at some point in the season

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we were to offer Gilbert and Pick 13, for Caddy and Hickey, I would want a draft pick from them as well, their 3rd round (44) at least.

We would then be left with 24, 33, 43, 44, 53, 71. Although I would be inclined to offer the 3 last picks for a 2nd round pick.

SaintTom
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:I'm going to assume we end up with Brown and Hickey.

Preferred 22

B: Simpkin, Brown, Geary
HB: Gwilt, Fisher, Siposs
C: Montagna, Hayes, Dempster
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Lee
F: Milne, Stanley, Saad

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven
Int: Armitage, Gilbert, Dunell, Milera

Close/depth: Kosi, Wilkes, Hickey, Gram, Newnes, Ledger, Ross, Curren, Markworth, Ferguson, Ray*, Jones*, Blake*

Dempster to replace Jones as midfield tagger while Fisher goes back to a looser, interception and rebounding role. Brown takes the monsters of the forward line (Cloke, Hawkins, Schulz, Roughead types) and Simpkin gets the less imposing marking forwards (Gunston, Reid) or unco ruckmen resting forward. Gwilt needs to regain his attacking focus and bring back his beautiful 50m kicks from defence. Geary takes the dangerous smalls and SIposs is the new Goddard.

For now Hickey is still a backup. I can't see him, Stanley, McEvoy, Riewoldt and Lee in the side, and I suspect Lee will be starting in round one providing his form warrants it. Wilkes wouldn't like this trade at all, since he's probably just been knocked down the pecking order from third tall to depth. I'm not sure what Gilbert's role in 2013 will be and I still think we should have traded him. He doesn't really have a spot in defence and he doesn't get enough of it on the wing. With that said, I don't see him playing at Sandy. The coaches will be hoping like crazy that Milera has a big pre season and attacks 2013 with improved strength, work rate and confidence, because he's exactly the kind of player we need to inject into the midfield.
Why would we move an AA backman who has taken forwards from Buddy to Eddie Betts and everyone in between into the midfield? Just because he can stop a forward, doesn't mean we want/need a tagger permanently in the midfield...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin is not going anywhere.

However he is not a FB and so Brown is not a threat to his spot.

Simpkin is Blake's replacement....just as Geary has replaced Baker.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
rexy wrote: Simpkin.....better one on one defender and better kick than Gilbert IMO! Not as attacking but that's not the role we want him to play, to me Brown and Simpkin stay at home D, Geary and Dempster doing jobs and Fisher and Gwilt attacking defenders!

Simpkin....much better defensively than Gwilt and Gilbert and has been improving steadily since he got to the club. I'd like to see Gwilt slim down and try to regain some athleticism so he could return to a more offensive role since he really doesn't have the height to make his bulk useful; we kept playing him on talls and he kept giving away free kicks because he just can't compete in the air.

I think the club should decide whether Simpkin is going to be a tall defender and get him to bulk up, or alternatively focus on building his offensive game and add versatility to the side. With such great commitment, intensity, defensive nous and maturity, Simpkin should be a player we make sure stays in the side, particularly since he's one of the only young players at St Kilda capable of playing senior footy.
+2

My thoughts exactly on Tommy....and on Jimmy

Apart from T Lee, not sure if there's much change 'to our 2013 lineup.' Lee may have to play some decent NAB cup games to get a shot early.

I'll reserve opinions until we know if M Brown and T Hickey et el have been signed
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 09 Oct 2012 2:04am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gilbs staying
but in all honesty it would not bother me if he went...depending on who he is replaced with (new or old)

simpkin has to stay and as sRr said he is the blake replacement (surely, it seems logical)

dempster does not go int he the guts
thats been done and now he is the new ted richards down back...thats where he stays

gringo
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:gilbs staying
but in all honesty it would not bother me if he went...depending on who he is replaced with (new or old)

simpkin has to stay and as sRr said he is the blake replacement (surely, it seems logical)

thats been done and now he is the new ted richards down back...thats where he stays

Gwilt is a favourite but he needs to get a really good preseason under him because he was actually probably our worst performer in the backline most of this year. I know he's coming back from a knee but would want to get his touch back i think. He was so good with his running and gathering loose ball below his knees before if he gets that back, we add a new FB and get another quality forward target things should go pretty well next season.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Siposs will get a regular gig replacing Goddard as a sweeper across halfback. He has the same sublime footskills as Goddard and will slot into that role perfectly.

Rosco
Club Player

gringo wrote:

Gwilt is a favourite but he needs to get a really good preseason under him because he was actually probably our worst performer in the backline most of this year. I know he's coming back from a knee but would want to get his touch back i think. He was so good with his running and gathering loose ball below his knees before if he gets that back, we add a new FB and get another quality forward target things should go pretty well next season.

to be fair gwilt was played out of position most of the year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
gringo wrote:

to be fair gwilt was played out of position most of the year.

True but he struggled with just about everything, kick ins, lost pace and ground level skills and his accurate kicking which made him a bit of a liability. i back him to go well again after a solid preseason though and hope he gets back to his best soon.