Land of the Giants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Land of the Giants

If Ben and Rhys share ruck duties, and if we go in with Roo and 2 other talls ( say Lee and Wilkes or Lee and Kosi ) we'd almost certainly have to sub one of them each time...wouldn't we??

Wilkes struggled to impact games and only seemed to be drafted as a fillin (wasn't given a lot of consecutive games in early 2012 and Kosi was the preferred option. Kosi will definitely be struggling to see out matches, and I can't see him getting any fitter or more agile at this stage of his career.

Then again we might be vulnerable with 3 tall forwards so maybe Lee is insurance if we don't get Brown or another KPD. Tom Lee seems to be a gamble imo as a forward option and could turn out to be another Chris Dawes...My fear is that it'll be the 2012 version and not the Dawes 2010/11 version, but here's hoping the Pelican knows what he's doing

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is to valuable as z future key forward to have some big donkey driving his knees into him in ruck contests.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Better off having Key Defenders smashing him in marking contests like they have done with Roo for ten seasons....

Ruck is one of the easiest positions on the ground to get a soft kick, and centre bounces are like bb tip offs nowadays.....
How many ruck work injuries in the past 4 years??

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Better off having Key Defenders smashing him in marking contests like they have done with Roo for ten seasons....

Ruck is one of the easiest positions on the ground to get a soft kick, and centre bounces are like bb tip offs nowadays.....
How many ruck work injuries in the past 4 years??
From that statement I take it you've never rucked.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Just to add a touch of reality to this thread....

We don't have Hickey or Brown.....let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I played Ruck/CHF for the majority of my footy life... Ruck men pay far less attention to there direct opponents than Key Defenders/Forwards...

If you don't understand CHF is the toughest position on the ground, not only have you not played there... You don't know the reality of footy....

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I played Ruck/CHF for the majority of my footy life... Ruck men pay far less attention to there direct opponents than Key Defenders/Forwards...

If you don't understand CHF is the toughest position on the ground, not only have you not played there... You don't know the reality of footy....
With Stanleys body the worst place for him is in the ruck. He's far to valuable as s forward to be wasted against donkeys in the ruck. Coaches don't want blokes of his calibre getting crashed and bashed in the ruck.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:Kosi's career looks over to me, not sure what we will do with him: delist? attempt to trade? let him play at sandy next year?
His manager confirmed that he'll definitely be at St Kilda next year. Fortunately he will no longer be gifted games when underperforming due to our lack of depth. I'm happy to have him on the list - his best is still quite good, but he'll need to be at his best to get a gig.
Agreed, I think next year he will play maybe a dozen games barring injury or some kinda form reversal - and it will be his last year. His priorities in life are changing. With Stanley, Lee & Wilkes we now have a few options

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually think Lee would be better off as a CHF as he is young and mobile, Roo as a wingman with license to run around and Kosi or Wilkes FF and switching with Rhys as a ruck forward and Bigmac as the drop back in the hole defender when resting.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:We're just catching up to the rest of the competition. Going in with such ridiculously low KPD and ruck depth probably cost us a finals spot this year.
This.

Which is the only reason I say 'caution' because we had the same recruiter/list manager then.
I think it is unrealistic to expect anyone to restructure a list in just one draft period.

Pelchin was not brought in to just be a list manager. He was brought in to restructure our list and team.
You do not do this in just one year, or even two.

IMO we did exceptionally well last year. If Pelchin can repeat this, this year and next we may be challenging for a flag a lot quicker than otherwise.

Whether he can or not, we will have to wait and see.

Anyone can pick No 1 picks, the skill is in out-perfoming with lesser picks.

One aspect I do like is that we are rebuilding our out of balance age profile by securing extra picks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

One aspect I do like is that we are rebuilding our out of balance age profile by securing extra picks.
I just had a look at the highlights of Tom Lee and he looks a likely type with some upside. Based on our high performance team we've assembled and the benefits that will have on a kid that wants to keep improving, I'm very happy with the Pelican and the recruitment of what could be Roo's replacement.

http://www.saints.com.au/multimedia/tab ... fault.aspx

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=148251

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

I just had a look at the highlights of Tom Lee and he looks a likely type with some upside. Based on our high performance team we've assembled and the benefits that will have on a kid that wants to keep improving, I'm very happy with the Pelican and the recruitment of what could be Roo's replacement.

http://www.saints.com.au/multimedia/tab ... fault.aspx

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=148251

He has that same type of natural skill that Siposs has. Just seems to cleanly take the ball in his hands and uses it effortlessly. I'm excited by the highlight reel which is always dangerous but gee he looks a good player to watch. At least with Saad, Milne and him we should be in for an exciting forward line.

lefty
Club Player

The thing about McEvoy, just because hes our number 1 ruckman doesn't really mean squat. The issue I have with Mac is that he barely wins any of the tap outs, check out the stats, he's a good mark overhead and around the ground, but he really needs to work on his hit outs...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

why is everyone talking as if Hickey and Brown is already part of the saints?

those trades have not been completed as yet. It mayt not even happen

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nathan Vardy, Matty Kruzer, Charlie Dixon, Nick Natinui, Mat Luenberger, Patty Ryder, Roughead, Tyrone Vickery...

Must all be wasted by their coaches then??!!

If I had a 200cm Athletic player at my disposal, I'd be very disappointed if he couldn't relieve the #1 Ruckman for 5-10 minutes a qtr.... And get some cheap kicks in the process... And the thing is, he actually wins hit outs!!

Another fact
Cannot have two lumbering Ruckman only players in the 22, due to the need for an extra to rotate, so the #2 has to be able to play minutes in the ruck, with a primary role elsewhere....

This year
Blake, Kosi, Stanley, Wilkes all had time in this role....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Also

Too valuable as a forward

He averages less than a goal, and not even ten touches a game as a forward...., more accurately, he needs to show more than just his role as a forward to improve his output.

Flashes of athleticism are one thing, being an effective AFL forward is another. He is yet to even kick multiple goals, which puts him behind KOSI!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nathan Vardy, Matty Kruzer, Charlie Dixon, Nick Natinui, Mat Luenberger, Patty Ryder, Roughead, Tyrone Vickery...

Must all be wasted by their coaches then??!!

If I had a 200cm Athletic player at my disposal, I'd be very disappointed if he couldn't relieve the #1 Ruckman for 5-10 minutes a qtr.... And get some cheap kicks in the process... And the thing is, he actually wins hit outs!!

Another fact
Cannot have two lumbering Ruckman only players in the 22, due to the need for an extra to rotate, so the #2 has to be able to play minutes in the ruck, with a primary role elsewhere....

This year
Blake, Kosi, Stanley, Wilkes all had time in this role....

At long last we agree. i have been saying on here for 2 years that the second ruckman must be a KPP who helps in the ruck for 30 minutes a game.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

How quickly you lot forget !!

We also have a developing 200+cm developing Ruck/KPP in Jay Lever !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:How quickly you lot forget !!

from all reports he isn't a ruckman and was dropped down the draft order because of the assumption that all tall guys can ruck. he's more a KPD than ruckman.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:How quickly you lot forget !!

I did remember Lever when writing this thread but thought it was way too soon to include him in the list of 'giants'.

He is still on the 'bean pole' list for 2013.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jay Lever

Seriously

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jay Lever

Seriously
Seriously what?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
BigMart wrote:Jay Lever

Seriously
Seriously what?

He didnt have a photo. Dont you know anything.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nor did Cripps

And he's gone.... Turned out great value...

And if anyone has actually seen Lever play this year would laugh at the suggestion that he could be a factor in 2013.... He need to play a reasonable game in the thirds first

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nor did Cripps

And he's gone.... Turned out great value...
I really wish you'd take up the clubs offer to become our head recruiter, I'm so sick of us not knowing everything.