Justin Koschitzke 2013

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Justin Koschitzke 2013

Kosi will struggle this year but it isnt his fault he has a contract and is being paid overs. If I was in his position I wouldnt even think about retiring. How many on here would give up 300 to 400K just to do the right thing by the club. people whinge about the SC not giving us value and then in the next breath we say just do the right thing and give up 400k. Yer right.

andrewg
Club Player

I assume the saints will take the pay hit with Kosi (they have to) he might earn it off the field maybe.
But if can play 6-10 games fully fit (that is not in slow motion) he can bust open packs and really hurt opposition defenders physically.

If we aren't relying on him he might just play a really good role for the younger Stanley and Lee as a bash and crash forward??

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: I understand he is playing injured - but that is part of life and footy.
Like me saying - oh id be id be awesome at my job if i wasnt stupid so just pretend im not and judge me on the 'imagined performance'.

The fact is injuries are part of life and footy and therefore he is shot. You cant say - oh hed be awesome IF he wasnt injured. So and so would be a star IF he trained. So and so would be a champ IF he was 10 inches taller. Just garbage.

It is also a team sport - not the Kosi appreciation society. Disgraceful how he played against Geelong injured and let his own team-mates and the whole clubs finals chances down trying to be 'tough'. Sorry but that is total BS and not the first time he has done it. Maybe Guerra or McGlynn should have pretended they were right to go on GF day?

He really 'served' the club well with his 'sacrificial' performance against the Cats.
Sorry but your talking total BS.

Exactly. If his body is too shot to play an effective role then he's finished. If he's not and he can command a spot - good. If he's not too injured and he can't command a spot - let him retire or play for Sandy. Astonishes me how many posters continue to support him on the basis of his 'good blokeness' and 'hard done-by-ness'. If he's good enough to play - then play him. If he's not - then drop him. Forget the sentiment and his history. It's irrelevant.

SuperDuper
Club Player

He should retire or be cut. That is purely my football assessment. No sentiment involved, nothing against Kosi who has given good service. Give him a 5 year contract in player development to make up the lost wages.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:He should retire or be cut. That is purely my football assessment. No sentiment involved, nothing against Kosi who has given good service. Give him a 5 year contract in player development to make up the lost wages.

He has a contract so we have to include his wages in the cap unless he retires. He isnt and shouldnt do that.

andrewg
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:He should retire or be cut. That is purely my football assessment. No sentiment involved, nothing against Kosi who has given good service. Give him a 5 year contract in player development to make up the lost wages.

He has a contract so we have to include his wages in the cap unless he retires. He isnt and shouldnt do that.
Pretty sure 50% is on veterans cap anyway??

But like I said used when fit ONLY could be okay, it's a long season and he adds depth.

Gershwin
Club Player

When they gave him a new contract only months ago he was clearly part of their plans for 2013.
If Lee and Hickey have only come on the radar recently then we clearly have no strategy at all and only lurch from month to month which would be a worry.

I can't imagine he is on big money. He provides us with good depth until Stanley's body matures.

summertime and the living is easy ........
rexy
SS Life Member

At this stage I'd say the plan is to play Kosi at FF exclusively in 2013! Roo at CHF and Stanley 3rd tall swapping in ruck. Will be up to Wilkes and Lee to try and take his spot! Kosi will prepare well over the off season and be ready to go, he always has.

Maybe this year?
evo
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Kos was playing his role very well until he hurt his hip mid year.

I really hate the bagging that he cops from supporters. If people knew he extent of his injuries I don't think they would be so damning.

To put it bluntly the man is sacrificing the quality of his later life to serve the club. He'll be lucky to be able to run around after his son in 10 years time.

If Watters is happy with what Kos is doing then hat should be enough for some of the armchair experts around.

Back to the OP, I'm sure Kosi is under no illusions where he stands in 2013. He'll play on an occasional basis when Stanley, Roo or Lee are hurt or in need of a rest. Watters does not want him to ruck under any circumstances & hopefully he won't have to if we can add a few back up ruckmen.
Agree completely with you on this, his body was stuffed up in the Thomas years. If he is on a reasonable wage in his final year then he deserves it for mine.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nice to see some balance in this thread...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think he will be pretty much be back-up next year, reckon we should try to get Lee playing alongside Roo as much as possible before Roo has to retire which could be anytime for mine. I think they recruited a 22* year old expecting him to play senior footy straight away. Even if Kosi is a better contested mark than Stanley & Lee at the moment, his lack of pace and forward pressure puts him well behind overall, unfortunately Kosi isn't part of our next premiership tilt so we should be focusing and fast tracking the guys that are.

*start of next season

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

He started this season probably in the best condition he had been in for years and it showed.
His early season form was quite good, but his body couldn't keep up and as the season progressed it became harder for him to compete.
Look he may be a pinch hitter, play a couple of games then get rested, possibly with Stanley and Lee.
Obviously the club still sees some value because contract or not, if they didn't want him they would have delisted him.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Sadly Blake will be forced to retire because the 'sacrificial team man' that is Kosi has a year to go on his contract and wont budge.
This is despite the fact Blake is injury free and more value.
Blake will only be forced to retire if they believe they have recruited sufficiently well to cover the same role(s) that he plays. In other words if they land another ruckman and a key defender then Blake probably wont be offered another contract. I reckon he is 50/50 right now.

As for Kosi, next year will be his last. If we get another ruckman, i would hope that Kosi takes the time to get his body right so that whatever games he does play he can play fully fit. Taking a few extra weeks to get his body right and easing him back through Sandy in round 4 or 5 might mean we can get him ready by say round 10 and possibly get some good games out of him toward the back end of the season if required. Would be nice to see him finish off his career with some decent games rather than fade out playing for Sandy or as will most likley be the case, in the medical room.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Jaz
Club Player

Kozi's stats aren't too bad for 2012. He is about 50th for goals per game at 1.4 and averaged 9.1 disposals and 4.9 marks. This puts him ahead or equal to a lot of other key forwards in the league including the premiership CHF who averaged 1.4 goals 9.4 disposals and 3.1 marks

And now that BJ has gone there is no one else I would rather have taking a crucial shot at goal.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

When did we get Hickey ?

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Jaz wrote:Kozi's stats aren't too bad for 2012. He is about 50th for goals per game at 1.4 and averaged 9.1 disposals and 4.9 marks. This puts him ahead or equal to a lot of other key forwards in the league including the premiership CHF who averaged 1.4 goals 9.4 disposals and 3.1 marks

And now that BJ has gone there is no one else I would rather have taking a crucial shot at goal.
There are no stats for how many goals a forward cost you by being unable to exert any defensive pressure, and, unfortunately thats what kosi costs us. Watch the opposition rebound around Kosi when the ball goes to ground, even with all the other fwds chasing, they can get the extra man out, a handball and rebound. In this day and age its critical. No doubt he can still mark, and he is a great kick for goal, but unless he is kicking or creating 3 a game, I reckon he costs us.

Nee!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
Jaz wrote:Kozi's stats aren't too bad for 2012. He is about 50th for goals per game at 1.4 and averaged 9.1 disposals and 4.9 marks. This puts him ahead or equal to a lot of other key forwards in the league including the premiership CHF who averaged 1.4 goals 9.4 disposals and 3.1 marks

There are no stats for how many goals a forward cost you by being unable to exert any defensive pressure, and, unfortunately thats what kosi costs us. Watch the opposition rebound around Kosi when the ball goes to ground, even with all the other fwds chasing, they can get the extra man out, a handball and rebound. In this day and age its critical. No doubt he can still mark, and he is a great kick for goal, but unless he is kicking or creating 3 a game, I reckon he costs us.
Lucky those stats don't exist or our All Australian small forward may have finished 28th not 12th in B&F!

Yaysaints
Club Player

It's not being cruel to say when a player's time is up. One or
two goals is just not enough for a ff.
The high tolerance for mediocrity from his performance of structure
and bringing the ball to ground doesn't compensate for his glacial
speed , the turning circle of the titanic and the complete inability
when the ball hits the ground and zero defensive pressure.
We don't tolerate that from the team or any other player.
Time to hang em up kosi. What makes people think he'd be a
decent off field tutor for young players anyway ?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yaysaints wrote:It's not being cruel to say when a player's time is up. One or
Agree with your comments about tolerance and defense of medriocrity. In Kosi's case it's been going on for years. There wont be any retiring though. He's got a one year contract.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
Yaysaints wrote:It's not being cruel to say when a player's time is up. One or
Agree with your comments about tolerance and defense of medriocrity. In Kosi's case it's been going on for years. There wont be any retiring though. He's got a one year contract.
He plays in a forward line with Riewoldt and Milne, what do you expect from him?

Both are far superior targets for a multitude of reasons.

Kosi provides another target and when the ball is kicked favourably he is able to at least make a contest.

If he kicks another 30 next year we have done well and have our money's worth as he will be playing on bugger all compared to previous contracts.

ace
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Yep slow motion is a good way to describe it......maybe a mentoring coaching role?.. Is he any good off field?.
His brain is even slower than his body.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
andrewg wrote:Yep slow motion is a good way to describe it......maybe a mentoring coaching role?.. Is he any good off field?.
His brain is even slower than his body.
You know this how?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
He plays in a forward line with Riewoldt and Milne, what do you expect from him?

Both are far superior targets for a multitude of reasons.

Kosi provides another target and when the ball is kicked favourably he is able to at least make a contest.

If he kicks another 30 next year we have done well and have our money's worth as he will be playing on bugger all compared to previous contracts.

He's treacle slow Redeemer. Being a good contested mark and being able to kick a goal isn't enough on Kosi's numbers (35 contested marks and 27 goals in 2012) when you're pretty much useless when you don't mark it. You say, "he is able to at least make a contest". This is what I reckon stands as defence of medriocrity. So a bloke is worth a spot in the team because he can make a contest? Not because he's a genuine threat. Being able to make a contest isn't enough. That will not win us a flag. And as others have stated, when it hits the deck he's a witches hat. Look if he demands a spot and consistently delivers, then great.
But enough of defending a player, doesn't matter who it is, although Kosi's medriocrity has been defended for years, enough of defending a player on the basis of his history, his service to the club, how he was farked over by the medicos when he was young, how concussion affected his vision and reflexes, what a great guy he is to have around the club or any number of other reasons why being mediocre is ok.

I expect him to to be able to run and chase and apply pressure for the entire game. As well as mark, kick a goal a game and pinch hit in the ruck if necessary.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He plays 4 good games per year. 18 absent ones. Paid an average 400k per season.
So he gets around 100k per game. Makes him the highest paid player in AFL history.
Excuses when he has one of his very regular shockers are concussion, ankle, hip, virus and quite a few others.
If i was him id take the cash and play next year. Who would knock back 300k ? Not too many people.
But lets keep it real and not lionise him as some champion courageous club legend. He has cost us as many games as he has won us. Yes he is a warrior. But an immobile and often foolish one for playing injured or sick and just letting everyone around him down when he cant contribute anything. Message to Kosi - if ur injured or sick please dont tell the coaching staff ur ok and try to be a hero - just dont effing play. Are u that desperate for ur match payment? Hes either very greedy or very stupid or both.
He has done it on a number of occasions but that Geelong game was the final straw .

Yaysaints
Club Player

I do love kosi. I always wish him the best and hope he kicks a bag
so I have been disappointed with him a lot.
If he is a required player and is picked to play then its the selectors
fault not his. I'm still stunned that the tap on the shoulder has yet to
happen but know at some time this year it must.
What I expect from him he gives , what I expect now from the
selectors is for a full forward to be recruited which has happened.
Just imagine for a moment a full forward who runs......