Numero uno !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Re: Numero uno !

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hopefully this thread is taking the piss. Its a friggin number. Give it to anyone who wants it. Maybe Lenny.

Must have the rags in Plugg , shooting down every thread .. :wink:
Excellent stuff. Girls should like that.
We need to remember that Plugger doesn't care what the jumper looks like either. There are certain aspects of fan-to-club-tradition bonding that P66 doesn't have any interest in at all.

The numbers given to players does matter a lot to me. It's quite an intricate web of traditons, and club legends, that is expressed through the numbers they wear.
Sometimes the club seems to take this into account too. At other times it's more random. Threads like this (mainly) by fans who care about it might conceivably have some effect. Hope so.

So .... I never realised No 1 was so often a saints supporter. I like the idea. I suspect that Siposs was just getting as close to No1 as he could. If that's so, I'd be happy if he wanted to shift up one.

I appreciate the idea advocated earlier that No 1 should be reserved for the captain. (That's what Richmnd does with No 17 I guess. A great tradition there.) But it's counterbalanced by not having our club champons in their own jumpers when they're playing as captain. I would have hated to see Harvey out of 35, or Lenny out of 7 when they did their stints.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

player page has been adjusted
http://www.saints.com.au/players/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

just having a look and I wonder about maybe Rhys into #8 and Tom S from 31- 1.

unless Sean D would like a move it's hard top see players who have been in their numbers a few years changing- which would mean a young player-

#9 also available- Maybe Sam D

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hopefully this thread is taking the piss. Its a friggin number. Give it to anyone who wants it. Maybe Lenny.

Must have the rags in Plugg , shooting down every thread .. :wink:
Excellent stuff. Girls should like that.
Especially seeing that's your shtick every week.

rexy
SS Life Member

How long was barker actually captain, my recollection tells me not a great deal of time, he has the b&f named after him and I concur with that, he is my childhood hero but like Harvey doesn't go down to me as one of our great captains! If you wanted a captains number then Frawley or Burke are the obvious ones in the modern era IMO!

That said there's nothing wrong with a bit of romance around numbers and 1 and 8 are both rippers, Stanley in 1 and Simpkin in 8 for me!

Maybe this year?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:With Gram's shock departure , do we have anyone worthy to take over Number One ?.

Raph :wink:
Unlikely...try again

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:I hope we can find someone suitable. It's a terrible blight on the Steve Newport legacy.
John Bonney's legacy

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
lloyd21
Club Player

definitely would give Lee no 18... Trent Dennis Lane...no 1

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

rexy wrote:How long was barker actually captain, my recollection tells me not a great deal of time, he has the b&f named after him and I concur with that, he is my childhood hero but like Harvey doesn't go down to me as one of our great captains! If you wanted a captains number then Frawley or Burke are the obvious ones in the modern era IMO!

That said there's nothing wrong with a bit of romance around numbers and 1 and 8 are both rippers, Stanley in 1 and Simpkin in 8 for me!
Barks was captain from 83-86, but he was our spiritual leader for half of the 70's and most of the 80's. He wasnt a vocal captain but he led by example both on the field and off it where he played for virtually nothing.

A true champion and a great captain

rexy
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:
rexy wrote:How long was barker actually captain, my recollection tells me not a great deal of time, he has the b&f named after him and I concur with that, he is my childhood hero but like Harvey doesn't go down to me as one of our great captains! If you wanted a captains number then Frawley or Burke are the obvious ones in the modern era IMO!

Barks was captain from 83-86, but he was our spiritual leader for half of the 70's and most of the 80's. He wasnt a vocal captain but he led by example both on the field and off it where he played for virtually nothing.

A true champion and a great captain
Agree on the spiritual leader, not convinced he was a "great" captain though, great leader yes!

Always wonder how he would have gone as coach, was definitely being groomed b4 his death IMO!

Maybe this year?