Watters issues ‘the challenge' to Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Watters issues ‘the challenge' to Saints

st.byron wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Most coaches say it every year. Nothing huge! But yet we will take the words and make Scott the Messiah.
What you and Mart are missing is that Watters is clearly articulating a vision for the club's culture into the future. It's not just a generic 'pre-season tyre pump'. Anybody can do that. But it looks to me that Watters is actually going about delivering on what he's saying.
Re-building the list and genuinely developing a healthy attitude within every player on the list. And if you're not willing to subscribe to it, then you're not welcome. It's more than just the generic pocket pissing you're seeing.
It is another mantra of Rossco the Bossco's and the like.

Watters does seem to have a fetish of sorts for developing 'good people' however hopefully it works.

I for one will not be buying into the rhetoric that most fell for when 'the bubble' was first introduced and masterbated furiously over.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I hope Watters keeps growing that beard. Then we can refer to him as "Papa Smurf".
BigMart wrote:Article for the fans and prospective members...to give optimism....... Could be an article from any coach..

Real proof will be in performance
True that. You could have a strategical genius for a coach and still end up with mediocre on field results. The players have a big responsibilty to deliver as well. As legendary baseball manager, Sparky Anderson, once said "If a team is in a positive frame of mind, it will have a good attitude. If it has a good attitude, it will make a commitment to playing the game right. If it plays the game right, it will win—unless, of course, it doesn't have enough talent to win, and no manager can make goose-liver pate out of goose feathers, so why worry?"

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The role that Ross never understood was that the senior coach is a salesman for the club. He learnt his trade at Sydney where there was no one to talk to so wasn't demanded of them. Watters comes from Collingwood where they would print their own logo on toilet paper to make a buck -so knows about marketing.

The thing a good coach will do is offer hope, no one cares if he doesn't win a premiership in the next two years but if he keeps looking like he's striving and building he is doing the right thing. We might be on a train with out brakes heading for a cliff but while we think there is hope our membership dollars will come in.

A Dees supporter mate was talking about how deflated he is after the rebuild they have been having has been scrapped and restarted. That offers nothing inspiring unless they can win the first 6 games or something miraculous happens they will be in trouble.

Yaysaints
Club Player

I think Jesse " the body " Ventura said it best when he said " win if you can , lose if you must , but always cheat. "

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:The role that Ross never understood was that the senior coach is a salesman for the club. He learnt his trade at Sydney where there was no one to talk to so wasn't demanded of them. Watters comes from Collingwood where they would print their own logo on toilet paper to make a buck -so knows about marketing.

The thing a good coach will do is offer hope, no one cares if he doesn't win a premiership in the next two years but if he keeps looking like he's striving and building he is doing the right thing. We might be on a train with out brakes heading for a cliff but while we think there is hope our membership dollars will come in.

A Dees supporter mate was talking about how deflated he is after the rebuild they have been having has been scrapped and restarted. That offers nothing inspiring unless they can win the first 6 games or something miraculous happens they will be in trouble.
For what its worth I would love to wipe my ass with Collingwood toilet paper every morning...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
I for one will not be buying into the rhetoric that most fell for when 'the bubble' was first introduced and masterbated furiously over.

:D :D :D :D :D ...well, knock me down with a feather...that's one word i would have expected you of all people to know how to spell....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

:D :D :D :D :D ...well, knock me down with a feather...that's one word i would have expected you of all people to know how to spell....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Fudge.

Look im single alright don't rub it in?

Boom tish.

kimberly saint
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
gringo wrote:The role that Ross never understood was that the senior coach is a salesman for the club. He learnt his trade at Sydney where there was no one to talk to so wasn't demanded of them. Watters comes from Collingwood where they would print their own logo on toilet paper to make a buck -so knows about marketing.

For what its worth I would love to wipe my ass with Collingwood toilet paper every morning...
ha ha two very good post

Darren
Club Player

stinger wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

HAHAHAHA!

Day made. Sorry Redeemer!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Until whatever is actually delivered, it's just speak....

Butters and Thomas were also great at 'speak'

Don't get me wrong, I like what Watters is doing, which from my thinking is a good job..... But I am not creaming myself over a fluff article..

Looking forward to his R1 side.... That will provide more insight than a newspaper article in December....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Until whatever is actually delivered, it's just speak....

Don't get me wrong, I like what Watters is doing, which from my thinking is a good job..... But I am not creaming myself over a fluff article..

Looking forward to his R1 side.... That will provide more insight than a newspaper article in December....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Until whatever is actually delivered, it's just speak....

Fair enough. Still, I'm liking the speak. It seems to me that there is substance behind it and it's not just fluff. But yep, agree - what counts is on-field performance.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm with BigMart here, Watters seems like a great marketer… but he has it all to do as a coach.

Great to have a positive message/image going out to the world though, Ross was a great coach but pretty lousy at PR, hopefully Scott is good at both.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Until whatever is actually delivered, it's just speak....

You got to like something otherwise you'd be complaining about it

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just complain about failure..... Don't see the need to celebrate it?!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the football club sees it like this- we need to make money to compete as a club. Members provide money. If you offer nothing to your members you get no members.

We were in 3 GFs in 2 years and had no real positive gain from it. People actually hated our brand because we were considered negative. People didn't renew membership or take out new ones once they considered we were challenging. A new coach was selected that understood we were a business as well as a club with a half arsed but loyal in spirit kind of supporter base. Nostalgia is not going to pay the rent we need to sell ourselves as a brand or become irrelevant. He is on the hustings selling snake oil to all the non fanatics so they take up the cause and get to believe we are on a big shiny train to success.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'm with BigMart here, Watters seems like a great marketer… but he has it all to do as a coach.

Great to have a positive message/image going out to the world though, Ross was a great coach but pretty lousy at PR, hopefully Scott is good at both.
I agree totally.

I like Watters in the media - hes smooth, considered and plays the "take no prisoners" line well.......jury is well and truly out as to how this translates from the box.

I always thought Lyon was average in the media/marketing capacity but could tell he was a white line fever freak who'd do whatever to improve to win....he also translated that game day often (didn't always win but a 19-3 season is friggin good...).

IF Scott can deliver from the box (given we know hes media polished) then he gets my nod as the complete package over Lyon. IF he develops and really brings talent on then he gets that nod.

Time will tell and results and nothing less will determine.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I do like how he is teaching the guys to be more one on one...

Being accountable for their direct opponent.

Interested to see how that plays out next year.