Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still prefer nds and seany d co skippers.

Sends two messages

1. Team first
I reckon make everyone captain! That will send that message even better.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Milney

PJ
SS Life Member

For those suggesting Ben as the future C what are the qualities he has that you see being captain material? He's quiet and hard working, a serious type but I don't really see what makes him a leader.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think the players vote on it ?
Players are the only ones that really know

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Sends two messages

1. Team first
2. We are team that adapts and evolves. Not a team in decline.

I agree with Seany and NDS.

For peeps wanting Big Ben to be captain, Lets just say his position on the ground could be taken over this year by Hickey.
At the moment he needs to improve and hold his position on the ground before we even think his captain material reguardless of his potential captain qualities.
It would be pretty embarrassing if our capt could not break into the senior team.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Roo to captain 2013 & mentor Siposs for a 2014 handover.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:

Sends two messages

1. Team first

For peeps wanting Big Ben to be captain, Lets just say his position on the ground could be taken over this year by Hickey.
At the moment he needs to improve and hold his position on the ground before we even think his captain material reguardless of his potential captain qualities.
It would be pretty embarrassing if our capt could not break into the senior team.

I reckon Hickey will be lucky to play 5 games this year so I doubt he is over taking Ben as the ruckman. Ben is doing fantastic for a big guy at his young age. He should improve again this year like he has every year.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Rooey

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Whatever the players decide Ill be happy with.

As an outsider - I just thought maybe an nds/seany d co captaincy would be great. And Roo could do a Punter and play out his last 2 years as a mentor like Len-dog is doing but focus more on his body and preparation and take a step back from the other captains stuff (media and tossing the coin).

nds and seany d seem like real team men and nds is great with the media and seany d seems like hed be great with the younger players.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 16 Jan 2013 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

NDS for captain from me. For Rooy to mention time up last year means there has to be a change.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:NDS for captain from me. For Rooy to mention time up last year means there has to be a change.
What I like about NDS. If we are winning sometimes he takes a bit of a back seat - but when we are losing or doing poorly sometimes the bugger carries us single handedly and is the only one having a go.
He also does do well against good sides and is under heavy weekly tags.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Sends two messages

1. Team first

I reckon Hickey will be lucky to play 5 games this year so I doubt he is over taking Ben as the ruckman. Ben is doing fantastic for a big guy at his young age. He should improve again this year like he has every year.
I agree hickey will be lucky to play a full season but see him more getting about 12 games as they want to profile their investment. Ben probably stagnated last year IMO. He is a work in progress though and could still be a player but I'm getting impatient for him to have a breakout season. Goldstein, David Hille etc all seemed to take much less time to take off.

People inside the club talk up his captaincy capabilities but always the cynic I alway think they are buying him time. He is good around the ground but still lacks in the competitive tap work.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

I agree hickey will be lucky to play a full season but see him more getting about 12 games as they want to profile their investment. Ben probably stagnated last year IMO. He is a work in progress though and could still be a player but I'm getting impatient for him to have a breakout season. Goldstein, David Hille etc all seemed to take much less time to take off.

People inside the club talk up his captaincy capabilities but always the cynic I alway think they are buying him time. He is good around the ground but still lacks in the competitive tap work.

I have said this a few times and IMO for Hickey to play it either means Lee or Stanley arent playing well or there are injuries to our tall forwards or Ben is injured. I just havent been able to work out a position for him on the ground. If someone could explain where he could play I would be happy to hear it.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

There isn't one, reckon he's just a back up, and a well regarded development jobby.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have said this a few times and IMO for Hickey to play it either means Lee or Stanley arent playing well or there are injuries to our tall forwards or Ben is injured. I just havent been able to work out a position for him on the ground. If someone could explain where he could play I would be happy to hear it.
Ring Scott...if anyone knows where Hickey WILL play it would be him

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:For those suggesting Ben as the future C what are the qualities he has that you see being captain material? He's quiet and hard working, a serious type but I don't really see what makes him a leader.
From what I've read & heard Ben is a man of few words, but when he speaks, everyone in the vicinity listens. Also, he was touted as a future leader before he got drafted and that has continued through his career so far. Coaches & team-mates have said publicly that he is a real leader. Having said that, only those in the inner sanctum would really know. The rest of us are guessing !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Sends two messages

1. Team first

If hickey only plays 5 games or less this year, without being injured then its a waste of a pick. I do believe he is a player, that will equal or surpass Ben this year.
For Ben being fantastic for his age, who is he better than, at his age??? Not Nic Nat, not Kruzer ( Injured for a year), not the North Melb guy.
Remember he was a sole ruckman that took most rucking duties while he was in the team.

Our team had the second lowest hitout score in the comp. 3 of the top 4 sides finished in the top 4 for hitouts.

If Ben does not impose himself this year and have a break out year, then I feel he will be another kosi. All this waiting for little glimpses here and there. that wont amount to much

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

If hickey only plays 5 games or less this year, without being injured then its a waste of a pick. I do believe he is a player, that will equal or surpass Ben this year.
For Ben being fantastic for his age, who is he better than, at his age??? Not Nic Nat, not Kruzer ( Injured for a year), not the North Melb guy.
Remember he was a sole ruckman that took most rucking duties while he was in the team.

Our team had the second lowest hitout score in the comp. 3 of the top 4 sides finished in the top 4 for hitouts.

If Ben does not impose himself this year and have a break out year, then I feel he will be another kosi. All this waiting for little glimpses here and there. that wont amount to much

Well we will wait and see. Can you tell me where Hickey will play when he plays these 12-15 games? Ben will play every game baring injury. And I have no idea why Hickey is a wasted pick if he only plays 5 games. Not sure Cox or Sandilands had played to many games at 20 years of age.

As for who he is better than at his age it seems you have come up with 2 or 3 he isnt better than so that suggests he is better than all the rest at his age. And 2 of those were top 2 picks. And isnt Goldstein older?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:

If this isnt the biggest lot of bulls*** ever posted I dont know what is. Absolute bulls*** the lot of it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

If this isnt the biggest lot of bulls*** ever posted I dont know what is. Absolute bulls*** the lot of it.

May I ask what is bulls***???

Hickey to play more than 5 games this year ??? maybe/maybe not time will tell
Hickey to be better than Ben by years end ??? for the sake of the saints improving, lets hope so
Ben being fantastic for his age and better than Nic Nat, kruzer and goldtein. ???
That when Ben was in the team, he rucked for 80+% of the time ???
Our team has the second lowest hitout score in the comp ???
3 of the top 4 sides finished top 4 in the hitouts ???
Ben has not had a break out year yet, and the only reason he is playing is due to nobody better than him on our list last year ???
We are all waiting for kosi to do something like play 4 quarters consecutively but finally our coach has realised and dropped him.??? are we going to wait and hope with Ben

So all of that is bulls*** ???

Explain to me why it is then.

Ben needs to improve on his game more before even thinking about being captain.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Hickey to be better than Ben by years end ??? for the sake of the saints improving, lets hope so
Ben being fantastic for his age and better than Nic Nat, kruzer and goldtein. ???
Ben has not had a break out year yet, and the only reason he is playing is due to nobody better than him on our list last year ???
We are all waiting for kosi to do something like play 4 quarters consecutively but finally our coach has realised and dropped him.??? are we going to wait and hope with Ben

Ben is a better player than Goldstein and has played just as well as Kruezer. Hit outs are not the most important thing to StKilda in terms of a ruckman at present. Nic Nat is a freak but still Ben plays are far more critical role for StKilda than what would. If Hickey doesnt play five games how is it a waste of a pick? Did he sign a one season contract and a open clearance at the end?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
noob
Club Player

I'd go Nick Dal Santo. Might just make him perform every game of the year, knowing that he would be in the spotlight

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Ben is a better player than Goldstein and has played just as well as Kruezer. Hit outs are not the most important thing to StKilda in terms of a ruckman at present. Nic Nat is a freak but still Ben plays are far more critical role for StKilda than what would. If Hickey doesnt play five games how is it a waste of a pick? Did he sign a one season contract and a open clearance at the end?
So its not the biggest lot of bulls*** 'ever posted' then?? 'the lot of it'????

Just because my views/opinions differ to yours, you dont have to label the biggest lot of bulls*** 'ever posted' and absolute bulls*** 'the lot of it' without any form of actual evidence, because your credibility is on the line with that outlandish statement. Your statement states that my comments are below troll level.

Your comment states that ben is better than goldstein. Have you watched the last time we played nth. Goldstein smashed Ben in the ruck 18 possies each but 46 hitouts to 24.
kreuzer coming off a knee reco in 2011, was comparable to ben but 2013 would be a good comparision of both.
Yes Nic Nat is a freak, but Nic nat plays a more critical role than Ben because it alows Cox to spend more time forward.

If rucking is not important for a ruckmen, then should we call the rucking position at st kilda the around the ground position then???.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I would still like to know where Hickey plays these 12 games or so this season. I havent got a position for him to be honest.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I would still like to know where Hickey plays these 12 games or so this season. I havent got a position for him to be honest.
Ben will start in the 22 this year depending on preseason form. If hickey plays well in the seconds / Preseason and does not get smashed in the ruck he could possibly take bens spot. Lets just say it will be interesting to see them line up against each other in the intra club match