Chickens coming home to roost re betting

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Chickens coming home to roost re betting

saint75 wrote:I DO NOT WANT TO SEE IT SPLASHED ACROSS THE SCREEN EVERY 5 MINUTES. Absolutely drives me insane and it is completely unnecessary. Most people who gamble have either an online account or are in the vicinity of a licensed betting agency and have access to the current odds. Those of us that don't wish to punt on the game don't need to see these odds every flippin' 5 minutes!!
How's it any different to incessent ads for The block or Maccas or KFC or ANZ or Coles, those Coles ads annoy the living daylights out of me.

They are a company with a legal product and a legal right to buy advertising space, like any other company that decides an ad on telly every 3.5 seconds makes us more likely to spend our money on their products.

Television is not a community service, it is a business, sport is on tv for the sole purpose of creating large audiences for advertisers to present their products to.

While advertisers provide the vast bulk (if not all) of the money for tv channel shareholders, you will continue to be bombarded with these messages, and by extension, if gambling companies offer more coin they will continue to buy the most space, however annoyed it makes us.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chickens coming home to roost re betting

Rosco wrote:If you make gambling on sport illegal, then illegal gambling will thrive. That is more likely to result in match fixing.
The evidence is not really there...but there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. $50mil bet on Adelaide v Melbourne in the soccer A-grade by an Asian betting syndicate...i doubt that would have ever occurred without a legalised gambling system for a start! Dreadful that gambling on the AFL was introduced, even worse that we were involved via sponsorship...get rid of it and watch the problems halve.