Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Watters

The lack of Centre Clearances were again killing us from the start. I didn't see any significant moves from the Box, to change things up.

Also, Gilbert on Ablett was not a good Coaching move. CJ, being smaller and experienced in close blanketing, was our best hope on Ablett.

MrCordz
Club Player

matrix wrote:ray actually had more contested possies than armo or lenny
his disposal let him down
was unlike him
dropped a few marks he usually wouldve taken from memory as well
Yes he did drop the ones he would normally take going back into a pack

Humbly St. Kilda
matrix
Saintsational Legend

his press conf is up
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2013/1/gcfc-v-stk
(good lord bigpond is slow to load)

if you cut the speaker out your computer and shove it in your ear so it touches your eardrum you can make out the questions asked
one day, the afl will actually think about it in some depth, when this happens if someone could put a note on my grave letting me know that this has occurred it would be appreciated

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Totally agree Matrix. The AFL make these after-match interviews compulsory for Coaches. If they are so committed, then why aren't things put in place so that we can hear the questions - all of them! There is such a thing in 2013 as a "boom mike" - you see them successfully used all the time on Q&A, Press Club etc etc.

Let's start a Blog and get 100,000 AFL supporters and heaven forbid, the Press on it. That just may make things happen.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

deal
someone else start it

i emailed someone called fiona at the afl ten mins ago
i opened the email with
"ive emailed you fiona because if you want something done you usually ask a women"
and then proceeded to tell her to pass it on to someone who could actually have a look at the prob

i thought that if i sucked up hard enough, she might actually pass it on to someone who will try and watch a coach press conf on afl.com

i mean good lord
someone sort it out down there in numptyville

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon our effort wasn't too bad or at least in the first half, we had completely run out of puff in the second half was more our problem. The look on Lennys face at one stage looked like he could see the new guard was giving the old boy a message.

But blaming the coach for anything about last night is a bit off the mark. He had a few out, a few underdone, and a few newbies. In context what more could he do. I just reckon biggest problem from last night was fittness. Whoever said Milney is fat might be onto something but remember older players need to take a different approach to a longer season so hopefully it's some new fat-styled program being used by the sports science gurus now that they can't use peptides.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If we have a shocking year.... Westaway has already indicated his position in not secure
So did Westerway say Watters job is not secure???. Or his own job

I love this club
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Didn't have a good night at the selection table.

2 ruckman
Yes one too many, and moreso given the wet conditions. I went to a night game there the first year and was amazed how wet and slippery the game was on a fine night.
SainterK wrote: Gilbo on Ablett
Ablett is now so good, I think it matters little who lines up on him. Bennell was controlled with the other tag.

SainterK wrote: A huge amount of crumbers with no pack crasher
Disagree here. We actually should have had one less tall in the team and up forward only two talls and in the team and another small. Kosi would have made us a worse team last night and not better. He will not be our saviour

I think you are harsh on Maister too who from what I can see on TV worked very hard including pack work.

The reality is that with today's game it is more anti-pack with less stoppages and fast breaks.

You need quick forward entry work into you forward line and not the constant switch across the HB line that we were attempting that just allowed GC to set up.
Sure one quick switch if your players, have made space. But not the automatic kick back that we feel into. Teams will not be suckered into moving forward now, and will instead remain zoned up. Tactic wise the saints were an epic fail last night.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote: Personnel are irrelevant effort is imperative - don't tear apart 10 years of cultural change Scott - please no more wooden spoons here!!!! Please!!!
Personnel ore not irrelevant. In fact with younger players, the loss of experienced players will directly impact on their confidence, hence how they attack the game. I thought Watters should have done better to slow Ablett down and crowd him around the ball. Similar to what the bombers did to Dangerfield the other week. Gilbo should never have played on him.

Why are ppl so critical of us switching the play, rather than kicking down the line? Switching play opens everything up and created heaps of scoring opportunities. We just weren't good enough to capitalise.

Big question mark over how or why the players ground to a virtual stop. Taking Hickey off the ground but having no back up for Ben in the last was silly as well I thought.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Totally agree Matrix. The AFL make these after-match interviews compulsory for Coaches. If they are so committed, then why aren't things put in place so that we can hear the questions - all of them! There is such a thing in 2013 as a "boom mike" - you see them successfully used all the time on Q&A, Press Club etc etc.

Let's start a Blog and get 100,000 AFL supporters and heaven forbid, the Press on it. That just may make things happen.
A mere technicality but... A boom mic is directional and needs to be pointed at the subject, so wouldn't be good for the journos... That said, a simple "room mic" sitting on the desk pointed away from the coaches would pick-up the questions with no problems.
How can a billion dollar media rights sport not organise a $200 mic for the press confrerence questions?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: How can a billion dollar media rights sport not organise a $200 mic for the press confrerence questions?
because someone is a numpty :?:

Quixote
SS Life Member

Better not be any cuddles at the Club this week. Unless of course someone from WA walks into the room.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm not hard on beau.

I want to try Roo Kosi Beau with 3 smalls.

Don't worry SRS. I'm used to you disagreeing with me

matrix
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/s ... 6609636604

Scott Watters says poor efficiency cost the Saints

mohannair
Club Player

BigMart wrote:If we have a shocking year.... Westaway has already indicated his position in not secure
When did he say that? May be he has spoken to Ross Lyon for a comeback :lol:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

2 weeks ago, when he went beserk and actually spoke to the media.... Reported on FC

Was bullish about re-signing SW

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:2 weeks ago, when he went beserk and actually spoke to the media.... Reported on FC

That would be an early call, he destves a chance to rebuild the list,and I thought hideaway was stepping down himself at the end of the year

I love this club
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Watters is the right person for the job...He hasn't inherited the same team Grant and Ross did. The fact that we are seeing improvements in young players is a positive...The ageing players naturally decline, players retire etc.

mohannair
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
BigMart wrote:2 weeks ago, when he went beserk and actually spoke to the media.... Reported on FC

That would be an early call, he destves a chance to rebuild the list,and I thought hideaway was stepping down himself at the end of the year
I like the way you describe Westaway (Hideaway) great job. :P

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I too reckon he is the right man.... But he has a long road ahead...

FQF
SS Life Member

I sure hope that the switch across half back is not his only tactical weapon... because it is pretty crap.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I downloaded the AFL app and listened to Waters on my phone using my earphones. I had no problem.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Probably just one of those first round matches that don't go to plan. I'm sure a kick up the bum on the training track during the week will get the Saints on the winning list come next round.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

I like the way you describe Westaway (Hideaway) great job. :P
I can't really claim that one, he has been called that many times

I love this club