Drafting now starting to show

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Drafting now starting to show

The fact was we were in for a tilt at a flag - we recruited to top up and maximise the chance and when you do that you sacrifice the long term.

Had we won in 09 we may well have done other things differently in our recruiting after that, but we didn't. So Watters and Pelchen are in to do the fix up. They have started well IMO with 21 players turned over in 2 off-seasons. The Pelican has sought to get maximum value for our picks and I reckon they have nailed some canny deals. I think they have identified Stanley, Lee & White as long term KP prospects and still need one more KPD prospect (maybe Ferguson also seen in that light long term).

I think they also recognised that our salary cap model was not beneficial to our long term development and into the bargain had to restructure that also. So there has been lots of challenges. The pain - we lost a very good player because we need to get the salary structure in order.

Watch now for fast, skillful mids to be our big priority. But make no mistake - we have to pay for the misakes of the past and the price is patience. Considering the draft picks we have had in the past decade, then the Pelican and Scottie are gonna have to continue to be very astute, and development has to be a very high priority - get the most out of the recruits to which you have access.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:The fact was we were in for a tilt at a flag - we recruited to top up and maximise the chance and when you do that you sacrifice the long term.

Had we won in 09 we may well have done other things differently in our recruiting after that, but we didn't. So Watters and Pelchen are in to do the fix up. They have started well IMO with 21 players turned over in 2 off-seasons. The Pelican has sought to get maximum value for our picks and I reckon they have nailed some canny deals. I think they have identified Stanley, Lee & White as long term KP prospects and still need one more KPD prospect (maybe Ferguson also seen in that light long term).

I think they also recognised that our salary cap model was not beneficial to our long term development and into the bargain had to restructure that also. So there has been lots of challenges. The pain - we lost a very good player because we need to get the salary structure in order.

Watch now for fast, skillful mids to be our big priority. But make no mistake - we have to pay for the misakes of the past and the price is patience. Considering the draft picks we have had in the past decade, then the Pelican and Scottie are gonna have to continue to be very astute, and development has to be a very high priority - get the most out of the recruits to which you have access.
Exactly....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Top 33 picks since 2001 no longer at the club:

Pick
1 Brendon Goddard
2 Luke Ball
5 Xavier Clarke
8 Raphael Clarke
13 Tom Lynch
17 Andrew McQualter
21 Matthew Maguire
22 Matthew Ferguson
24 Jamie Cripps
27 Brad Howard
32 Nicholas Winmar
33 Cain Ackland

An average of one top 30 odd pick per draft not working hard at the Saints.

A few wins later in the drafts:

37 Leigh Montagna
55 Sam Fisher
33 Sam Gilbert
63 James Gwilt
58 Jarryn Geary
I just verped when I saw Cain Ackland at pick 33.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sydney had a pretty average recruiting period then over two or three years just found some gems.