Jack Watts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Watts

Old Mate

You are right.... Free agency is there to take advantage of....

We will leave a big hole in the cap at seasons end.... It needs to be filled. Not with young players who don't deserve that sort of money yet.... But with mid-senior players in their prime.

I would definitely land a big name or 3.... We did this prior to all of our climbs up the ladder....It sends a message, we want to contend, we are not 'rebuilding' we will remain competitive every year. The better the team performs... The better the development. A winning culture breeds success

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:yeah, not sure it is very likey mate.

But nevertheless, you have just reminded me to go and watch Garry Lyon squirm for the next hour while he is given the blowtorch due to his role in appointing Neeld :lol:
"I looked into his eyes and I just knew"
Remember that. Lyon talking himself up as the big man calling the shots.
Now he will scramble off and say he's too busy with media and he wasn't part of it.
Lyon and Cameron Schwab are the biggest frauds charlatans and used car salesman in footy. And that's saying something.

Apologies to any actual used car salesmen.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:On the topic of taking risks in regards to recruiting like we did with Gehrig, Hammil, Lawrence and Co. I wonder how we'd look adding two avail midfield free agents - Thomas and Sylvia....Then make a couple of trades like Brown/Frawley and Watts...? Suddenly we've added 5 players in the 21-26 y/o age bracket....Some quality.....Along with some risks.
don't get me started on lawrence...a wasted talent......his father could play a bit but both dropkicks on a personal level......i don't blame the son as much as i blame the father......a senior saints player...who i won't name... told me once that at an after match function lawrence senior had a go at him for talking to a supporter...said"why are you wasting your time talking to him.he hasn't got any money......"... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree that Watts could be a good pickup, but he is not what we are short on. Good inside and outside mids. That is what we should be concentrating on. And we should have picked up Cockie.. He would have added some toughness to our mids.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
jack watts

hahhahahha

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Same was said about Fraser...

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane...... He was the main whipping boy at WC and they were relieved to offload him for pick 18

No one could argue Fraser's attributes, his effort and courage were in question.

Runner up B&F, AA, Coleman Medal *2, 100 games. Not a bad pick up?!

Sometimes a change is all that's needed..... Jack is as weak as piss ATM but he has something that we need.... Potential A Grade talent...

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Watts needs a new club. Hopefully Melbourne recognize this and do a fair trade for him. Would I take him at the saints - yes indeed - have to give them a pick though - you wouldn't want to send anyone on your list over there.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Old Mate

You are right.... Free agency is there to take advantage of....

We will leave a big hole in the cap at seasons end.... It needs to be filled. Not with young players who don't deserve that sort of money yet.... But with mid-senior players in their prime.

I would definitely land a big name or 3.... We did this prior to all of our climbs up the ladder....It sends a message, we want to contend, we are not 'rebuilding' we will remain competitive every year. The better the team performs... The better the development. A winning culture breeds success
Some very interesting points of view on this thread.

The 2000/2001 drafts are an obvious parallel. Some things similar, however a few things were different back then...

- Saints had been minor premiers and made it to a GF within the previous 3-4 years
- we were right at the bottom so had 4 top 6 picks in 2 years to pick up guns. Perhaps over the next 3 drafts we will have 3x top 5 dps
- in 2000 we had the first pick in the PSD
- we had players who other clubs wanted/were happpy to take as make-weights in other deals - Darryl Wakelin, Sam Cranage, Matthew Carr, Joe McLaren, David Sierakowski were traded in 2000; Barry Hall in 2001

Who do we currently have who would be worth anything to other clubs? I doubt we wold get much for the likes of Ray or Milera.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
spert
Saintsational Legend

I always thought Watts would be a better player in most other teams than the Demons- if he has a chance, he should walk and go to another club to make something of his career instead of wasting his talents with that rabble. If possible, I think he would be a good get for us.

Greg T
Club Player

Dunno how hed go at the saints.Would want to flop with us a as well.
Rather the tattooed Jones

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Jack is as weak as piss ATM but he has something that we need.... Potential A Grade talent...

This is EXACTLY right. We need to revitalise through the draft with low dps, aggressive FA recruiting, and picking up blokes like Watts who has the potential to be an A grader.

We have a good bunch of young GOP's, we need the next Riewoldt/Hayes/Goddard/Fisher type players for us to become contenders agsain over the next 3-4 years.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Is a monty for a Sydney Swans style renaissance...

It's time we pulled a few moves... Kennedy, Richards, Mumford, McGlynn, Shaw, the list goes on.. Sure, some wanted a move, some had to be traded in, but all improved substantially at Sydney and all had obvious unfulfilled talent.. Watts is probably more talented than them all...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Under all his malignment, Watts played some good footy last year at times.

I think he could be a B+ player in the right surrounds.

He is capable of it.

Bring back the Lockett era
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he could be A Grade given confidence and hunger

A lot of maligned players have turned it around.

Can you believe Goddard was maligned, Stanton, Watson, Thomas, Beams, Scott Selwood, Hawkins, Gibbs, Grigg, Dawson.... Loads of players take a while to find their way

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Pick 22 is not a FRP.... Our FRP will be 4-6 mark

Hayes, Milne, Kosi, Blake, Ray, CJ, Gilbert, Maister ..... All gone

Call needs to be made on
Staley, Lever, Webster, Shenton, Ledger... If they are not close..... At least 3 to go

Milera to go if he wants to.... Trade

That's a dozen

In
1 from free agency..... A grader
2 from Trades
1 out of contract

7 kids
1 from a state league

Nick Dal Santo & Leigh Montagna Co Captaians

Armitage, McEvoy, Gwilt, Geary, Steven....... Leadership group

Dempster, Riewoldt, Fisher, Schnieder.... Senior group

Siposs, Newnes, Curran, Ross.... Emerging
no way will we have a dozen players off the list next year ... that kind of cutting will see us claim spoon 27 it will see us sack Watters have a board challange and become the basket case again ... we will have half that amount of changes

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I always thought Watts would be a better player in most other teams than the Demons- if he has a chance, he should walk and go to another club to make something of his career instead of wasting his talents with that rabble. If possible, I think he would be a good get for us.
i feel a bit sorry for him.......last night frawley was likened to spud...in that spud spent his whole career looking down the barrel of defeat...pretty soul destroying and a good reason some of them want to bail out....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Is a monty for a Sydney Swans style renaissance...

It's time we pulled a few moves... Kennedy, Richards, Mumford, McGlynn, Shaw, the list goes on.. Sure, some wanted a move, some had to be traded in, but all improved substantially at Sydney and all had obvious unfulfilled talent.. Watts is probably more talented than them all...
kennedy and mumford are gems....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The wooden spoon with
Riewoldt, Fisher, Dal Santo, Gwilt, Armitage, McCevoy, Steven, Geary, Montagna, Schnieder, Siposs, Newnes, Gwilt, Stanley, Simpkin, Saad, Dempster, Ross, Wright

3*good AFL players from other clubs... There's a reasonable 22.

If you coached that team to last.... Shouldn't be coach

Without
Hickey, Lee, Dunnell, Ledger, Ferguson, Curran, Wright, Markworth, Minchigton.... And a swag of kids developing

What you hope is. With the swag of kids.... You get some some a graders

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In 2000-2002 we went beserk on the list after the 97-98 team was cooked

Look what happened in the next decade. Kudos to GT and Bundy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The wooden spoon with
Riewoldt, Fisher, Dal Santo, Gwilt, Armitage, McCevoy, Steven, Geary, Montagna, Schnieder, Siposs, Newnes, Gwilt, Stanley, Simpkin, Saad, Dempster, Ross, Wright

3*good AFL players from other clubs... There's a reasonable 22.

If you coached that team to last.... Shouldn't be coach

Without
Hickey, Lee, Dunnell, Ledger, Ferguson, Curran, Wright, Markworth, Minchigton.... And a swag of kids developing

What you hope is. With the swag of kids.... You get some some a graders

So do i and as you and one or two others see Sandy who the hell are they because I dont see many. I hope I am wrong. Give us confidence and give us one or two. I have Siposs and Wright as the only ones likey at this stage.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ferguson..... Yes
Minchington.... Yes
Murdoch...... Yes

Markworth..... Likely
Dunnell........ Perhaps he'll turn out an OK player
Curran........ As above
Ledger......... Doubtful to be honest, he has something, but is missing something
Lee and Hickey ....... Haven't seen enough of them

Lever, Webster, Staley, Shenton..... Not likely... Perhaps there's still an opportunity for them. They need to take another step in 2013

White ...... Perhaps the biggest upside with Markworth. But could flop like Markworth. Both are potential guns.

Ross ....... Will be about as good as Armo/Geary.... Solid B Grade

Newnes..... Not far off A Grade
Wright ...... If he can get his disposal right, as above
Siposs...... All to do with attitude and fitness.... Not the star we are making out.

paddy
Club Player

A perfect example of why we need to make the most of the champions we have at the club, to lead by example on and off the field....

Our new recruits are very lucky to have such fantastic mentors....

it is our greatest strength right now, and watters knows it

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not at the expense of development...

The best way to improve.... Play AFL games. Nothing teaches like playing.

Would we have been as good in 04 if Ball, Dal, Maguire, Fisher, X, Goddard... Weren't exposed from 2002/2003

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Watts is looking like another Tambling- just a very disappointing player. Not for me.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Usually guys with immense talent show something early, has he played a good game yet? Has he done anything that would suggest something better than GOP.