Are we definitely looking at getting pick 1 (Boyd)?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we definitely looking at getting pick 1 (Boyd)?

We could well do with a QUALITY midfielder who will be comfortable at AFL level by the middle of 2015. To that end we get a really good go at one of Aish, Scharengerg, Sheed or Kelly with OUR pick 3 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think many are advocating trading pick 3 plus a senior player for pick 1.

I'm keen for them to explore trading a senior player/s plus 2nd round pick & keeping pick 3.

Whether that is doable is another thing entirely.

For what it's worth, people always bring up Watts as a reason why we shouldn't go after Boyd. Watts is a totally different player than Boyd & it was his athleticism & draft camp results that caused him to go #1. Watts never had mongrel to go with his talent whereas Boyd is a competitive beast.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would really like the best available player at #3 and then the best available at pick 21 and keep it that simple.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would really like the best available player at #3 and then the best available at pick 21 and keep it that simple.

I think this is the best course of action.

After all who really thinks we wont be getting more top 5 picks in the next couple of seasons?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
BigMart wrote:Would really like the best available player at #3 and then the best available at pick 21 and keep it that simple.

After all who really thinks we wont be getting more top 5 picks in the next couple of seasons?
Yeah, That could net us a kid called Goddard next year !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Yeah, That could net us a kid called Goddard next year !!
Well we do need to supplement the kids in the high dp's with savvy trading.

We wont get a decent FB in the draft, or if we do we will get smashed down back for the next three seasons.

We need to trade for a FB, and some experience in the mids as Lenny and Dal and Joey depart the scene.

Would be nice to supplement the high dps with a Hamill/Geherig and throw in grunt like Powell and Thompson to add some mongrel.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't our second round draft pick be higher than #21 with current sanctions (Crows) and potential future sanctions (Essendope)?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

I'd like to see us deal our way up from pick 21.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Imagine back at the end of the 2000 season that you were Collingwood with pick 3.
St Kilda is holding picks 1 & 2.
Given how rare good, big key forwards are in the game, imagine that you could have given up a ruckman and pick 3 to the Saints for pick 1. St Kilda would have still had picks 2&3 and Collingwood would have taken pick 1.
The would have drafted Riewoldt. St Kilda would have ended up with Kosi and Didak.
Would Riewoldt made a difference in the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals?
I bet Collingwood now wished they had tried to strike a deal with the Saints for pick 1 to get a player like Roo.

Key forwards don't grow on trees. Midfielders (unless they're Ablett or Judd) are far more prevalent. You can still get really good ones in the 2nd round. History is littered with those examples.

Some of the better ones of late did not go pick one but would have if not for F/S selections. Tom Hawkins and Joe Daniher certainly would have gone pick one.
If Tom Boyd is as good as they say, it is worth having a genuine crack for that pick. Pick 3 + a player is worth a try. IMO.
Totally agree

3 and McEvoy...........but GWS may not rate him (I think he is too slow)

1 and 10 (GWS compo) to us

GWS ontrade 3 for a Thomas type from coll.....

prob would not get over the line

saint4life
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:I have heard copious amounts of supposition from the papers that St Kilda could get a deal done for pick 1--essentially to get Boyd. However, I haven't heard any statements or rumors from the club that we are definitely willing to trade for pick 1 from GWS. Has anyone heard anything to suggest that we definitely want Boyd? It can definitely be said that we are best placed, besides Melbourne, to land him.
How could we possibly get pick 1...who do we have that would make a difference to GWS...laughable to think we are even in the hunt, officially, which is so different to
supposition...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
sainterinsydney
Club Player

McEvoy is definitely on the table after his performance tonight

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:McEvoy is definitely on the table after his performance tonight
What table is that

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
suss
Club Player

A couple of interesting games next week:

GWS v Melb
Bris v St K

Running through the last few rounds, I can't see us winning more than one game. The Dogs have an okay run and Melbourne too. Looks like it's pick 3 for sure, maybe pick two.

I'd be surprised if GWS took Boyd but I can't see Melbourne passing him up, even with Hogan waiting in the wings.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

sainterinsydney wrote:McEvoy is definitely on the table after his performance tonight
Foot injury lay off big boy

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You think that poor performance makes a player an attractive trade target???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:A couple of interesting games next week:

GWS v Melb
Bris v St K

Running through the last few rounds, I can't see us winning more than one game. The Dogs have an okay run and Melbourne too. Looks like it's pick 3 for sure, maybe pick two.

I'd be surprised if GWS took Boyd but I can't see Melbourne passing him up, even with Hogan waiting in the wings.
Holy s***. We lose next week and Melbourne win we are level on points with the Demons. We haven't been that bad compared to Melbourne - we've got close on occasions but not close enough.

southernsaint
Club Player

Next home game give kosi, the blake and milney send off games. After that put roo and len dog out to pasture for the year to nurse their bodies so they can go again next year. Play all the kids and players that we want to trade while we list manage for pick 2. Try and trade for GWS pick 10 and take the best availible mids with our first three picks. Trade for two big defenders. So easy to say just hope the pelican can deliver :) :) :) :)

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand why some desperately WANT Boyd. He MIGHT be a once in a generation forward. He WILL take at least 2 years to develop. He MIGHT turn out to be a dud.

We HAVE Lee (who has shown he can be something) and White (who comes with huge wraps) We NEED a class midfielder badly. Not in 2 years, bot in 4 years, not after developing him at VFL level, we need one NOW. At pick 3 we can get a kid who can be ready to play now. We also NEED at least 1 big bodied defender. We can use the picks we have and the free salary cap space not to mention the chance to be a leader down back and almost guaranteed games to entice a big fish across.

In the case of want versus need I know where my vote goes

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Tom Boyd is so far in front of the pack its ridiculous. Be very carfeul about listening to the hype on some of the 18 year old kids. There are way too many small outside players in this draft for my liking. Aish, Billings, Kelly etc are all high risk for me as top 10 picks. Sure they can run sub ten minute 3kms and have great skills but I question their ability to win their own ball at AFL level. They need someone to get the footy out to them. All kids from the AIS are pumped up by certain individuals who have a vested interest in seeing as many AIS kids drafted in the first round. There are some quality less fancied big bodied kids in this draft who can win their own ball that I hope we pick up.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Boyd is a long way ahead of the U18 pack.... Yes

He is 197/100 and monsters kids.... He may be good, but not an absolute certainty, he would never ever played on another player close to his size...

Other giants to have dominated junior level
Tom Hawkins, Cameron Cloke, Llane Spanderman, Mitch Clarke, Paul Johnson, Jon Patton, Lance Whitnall, Mark Bradley
All outsized their opponents
Some made it, some not.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Boyd is a long way ahead of the U18 pack.... Yes

He is 197/100 and monsters kids.... He may be good, but not an absolute certainty, he would never ever played on another player close to his size...

Other giants to have dominated junior level
Tom Hawkins, Cameron Cloke, Llane Spanderman, Mitch Clarke, Paul Johnson, Jon Patton, Lance Whitnall, Mark Bradley
All outsized their opponents
Some made it, some not.....

Have you seen him play much?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:No.

My sources indicate we are using this as a decoy for some WAFL gun who is secretky coveted by all other clubs (and Penrith) and we will trade for pick 1 to pass that on for him...

This guy was delisted previously also....just late bloomer.

:lol:

brilliant strategy

Nee!
supersaints
Club Player

Pick one ,
Hope we don't do anything drastic ,I seem to recall Jack Watts going to be the best forward drafted.
It doesn't always pan out , think we should not give too much to upgrade two spots.
Forget were I read an article comparing picks but it showed that two and three had just as good a strike rate as pick one.
Been some ripper number threes....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Darce.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A player is never judged on one game.... Not even 6 games..,

Knee jerk decisions on list managements are costly