free agency and the saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: free agency and the saints

Perhaps Scott is just throwing the idea out so that players think about it over the next year or two.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Scoop
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
Scoop wrote:
matrix wrote:i think come end of season...there will be a few surprises about who goes and who might come in
I think you could be right. ......
Do you have who those surprises might be?
Not really....just agreeing with matrix.....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
noob
Club Player

We'll probably do a Melbourne and recruit all these duds to fit in the age bracket thats lacking

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I just hope we dont recruit to prove we are "agressive"

Just bide our time - wasting cash on it now is no good.

“Yeah….nah””
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I just hope we dont recruit to prove we are "agressive"

Agree

We are a pretty hard sell at the moment. Wait another couple of years once we have some good young talent from our high draft picks,then free agents will be able to see a bright future.
Jumping on now,they have some hard yards to do

Bring back the Lockett era
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Yes can't help but think we'll pay overs given all the talk. Hope I'm wrong..hopefully we target young guys with talent even if it means trading

#1 Ryder fan
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lets not waste our time with more ordinary players. I think we have enough on our list.
correct. Forget FA for this year.

Clubs know SW is desperate for a key defender.

I reckon we will either trade and get screwed or settle for drafting good kids.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

jonesy wrote:

Agree

We are a pretty hard sell at the moment. Wait another couple of years once we have some good young talent from our high draft picks,then free agents will be able to see a bright future.
Melbourne would've been a hard sell for a WA boy linked to going to Freo, one would've thought. Footballers are a fickle bunch, more money, in a team rebuilding and can 'create something special' with a bunch of 'fantastic young kids', nah, not that hard to sell a footy team.

As for FA, I reckon Thomas could make a move, with the SW connection, not that I'm particularly interested in that, but anyone previously connected to Scott must be in with a fighting chance.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Agree

Melbourne would've been a hard sell for a WA boy linked to going to Freo, one would've thought. Footballers are a fickle bunch, more money, in a team rebuilding and can 'create something special' with a bunch of 'fantastic young kids', nah, not that hard to sell a footy team.

As for FA, I reckon Thomas could make a move, with the SW connection, not that I'm particularly interested in that, but anyone previously connected to Scott must be in with a fighting chance.

The problem we have is we havent got fantastic young kids as far as draft picks go. Im not saying some wont be good but a player from another club would like to see high draft picks in the side. Melbourne did have them even if it looks like they have been wasted. I dont see the hurry on the rebuild. I really hope we dont get ordinary 23 and 34 years olds into our club. I really hope the club does a long slow rebuild for a couple of years and then hits it hard.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

That's also my concern, we shouldn't go afte free agents unless they are reall quality. If not use the draft as we have been and wait to see who is available next year

I love this club
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

hmmm its an interesting question .. do you

(1) chase established players to help fill the age hole, provide support to an undermanned backline, provide some hope to the supporters, and possibly jump a ladder position of 2, ..
or
(2) avoid established players, play kids and take the hit on the ladder position (bottom 3 beckons again in 2014 ), and make a play in a year or 2 when the current group of juniors is getting closer to 50 games.

Personally, the only established players I would go after are KPD's , and only because we don't have any genuine KPD prospects on the list IMHO.... use the next 2 drafts to stock up on mids (in most drafts you can generally still find serviceable mids in the 3rd and even 4th rounds if your recruitment guys are on the ball) and hopefully a KPD or 2. Then at the end of the 2015 season, top up with some established players through trade or FA.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.