Has Ledger already committed elsewhere???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Has Ledger already committed elsewhere???

I have not seen much of Ledger this year and so cannot comment on him directly.

However I have seen the senior team a lot and two aspects in particular have stood out in a negative sense.

We lack a key defender or two.

We have an abundance of players wit poor disposal skills.

We often struggle at the bounces to win the ball.

To improve we need a key defender or two, and to improve our overall ball skills

Which will Ledger help us with? It would seem from reports only the third. But also from reports that while he can win the ball, that he struggles to get it to team-mates. So perhaps that is why he has not been played.

So question to the people that have watched him a fair bit this year? How are his disposal skills?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No better or worse than a third of the senior team

Junior
Club Player

His skills are ordinary, he throws the ball on boot with out looking a lot of the time. Sometimes that is because he is in a pack situation but I have watched a lot of Sandy this year and he gets the ball so much but to me panics and rushes his disposal most of the time.

Other thing I noticed is that he does not appear as quick as I thought I was when he first came to the club.

If you looked rushed with your disposal at VFL level then I reckon you will struggle at AFL level.

Having said all of that I cannot believe he has not at leat been given the opportunity at senior level to see how he stacks up.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No better or worse than a third of the senior team

Easy statement to make. Who is he better than and anyway sides arent picked on who is better. He maybe better than Blake now but i doubt he can play FB.

spert
Saintsational Legend

After all that has gone on this season trying new players, I have seen nothing to indicate we have any midfield prospects of any note, Ross included. From what I have seen at Sandy, Ledger is the best mid of the group and should be playing now in the seniors as should Dunnell. Anyway, the Saints have habit of letting players go to other clubs where they do well, when they should be doing well for us.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:After all that has gone on this season trying new players, I have seen nothing to indicate we have any midfield prospects of any note, Ross included. From what I have seen at Sandy, Ledger is the best mid of the group and should be playing now in the seniors as should Dunnell. Anyway, the Saints have habit of letting players go to other clubs where they do well, when they should be doing well for us.

You should coach an AFL side you clearly know more than the ones we have in charge.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:From what I have seen at Sandy, Ledger is the best mid of the group and should be playing now in the seniors as should Dunnell.
Dunell? Whose spot would he take?

spert
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:From what I have seen at Sandy, Ledger is the best mid of the group and should be playing now in the seniors as should Dunnell.
Dunell? Whose spot would he take?
Right now, Webster's in the backline

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
bergholt wrote:Dunell? Whose spot would he take?
Right now, Webster's in the backline
A nine-gamer or an eleven-gamer - not much to choose between them really. Given that we're not exactly going to win many games, does it really matter which one we're getting experience into?

FQF
SS Life Member

spert wrote:After all that has gone on this season trying new players, I have seen nothing to indicate we have any midfield prospects of any note, Ross included. From what I have seen at Sandy, Ledger is the best mid of the group and should be playing now in the seniors as should Dunnell. Anyway, the Saints have habit of letting players go to other clubs where they do well, when they should be doing well for us.
Which players have we discarded that have been picked up by other clubs and succeeded?

It would have to have happened quite a number of times for you to label it a habit.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Easy statement to make. Who is he better than and anyway sides arent picked on who is better. He maybe better than Blake now but i doubt he can play FB.
What plugger is saying that it doesn't matter if he has better skills than a player whose position Ledger will not take.

Therefore, of the players that Ledger might displace in the team, who has worse skills than him?

Middo
Club Player

CURLY wrote:

You should coach an AFL side you clearly know more than the ones we have in charge.

Pretty standard reply , but I think a lot of people would like to know why he has not been given a chance instead of him knocking out good disposal numbers with Sandy and not even being considered for a run ..???

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Middo
Club Player

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What plugger is saying that it doesn't matter if he has better skills than a player whose position Ledger will not take.

Therefore, of the players that Ledger might displace in the team, who has worse skills than him?

JONES ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Middo wrote:What plugger is saying that it doesn't matter if he has better skills than a player whose position Ledger will not take.

JONES ...[/quote]

The only problem there is that Ledger's defensive running is also an issue, so how does he replace a tagger??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

There are plenty of posters suggesting they understand why he is not getting a game. I, for one, find all those posts quite amusing. There is no possible way, with where we are at, that he hasn't deserved an opportunity this year. With our massive injury list, and in the midst of us upgrading 3 rookies and playing almost every other player on the list, Tom runs around, week after week, racking up 30 and getting in the best in the VFL. Deafening silence from the coaching staff as to what his issues are. St Kilda are now just simply humiliating him now by upgrading Shenton.

Everyone can bring up the deficiencies he has. That's a cop out IMO, and very easy to do. Roo's goal kicking is a joke! Saad gets 2 touches a game! TDL is soft! See, it's easy. Every player in our squad has them too, some just as many as Tom. Something is going on we do not know about.

He may not be good enough. How will we ever know?

Still no comment from SW as to what the reason is. Someone please ask him the question.

Saintsational Legend

He doesn't. Jones deserves his spot in the team, for now.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

There are plenty of posters suggesting they understand why he is not getting a game. I, for one, find all those posts quite amusing. There is no possible way, with where we are at, that he hasn't deserved an opportunity this year. With our massive injury list, and in the midst of us upgrading 3 rookies and playing almost every other player on the list, Tom runs around, week after week, racking up 30 and getting in the best in the VFL. Deafening silence from the coaching staff as to what his issues are. St Kilda are now just simply humiliating him now by upgrading Shenton.

886brother said :

Everyone can bring up the deficiencies he has. That's a cop out IMO, and very easy to do. Roo's goal kicking is a joke! Saad gets 2 touches a game! TDL is soft! See, it's easy. Every player in our squad has them too, some just as many as Tom. Something is going on we do not know about.

Still no comment from SW as to what the reason is. Someone please ask him the question.
That pretty well sums up my feelings as well. It would be good to have the question asked by the Press. However, don't hold your breath for the real answer!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:St Kilda are now just simply humiliating him now by upgrading Shenton.
Sounds like if Shenton plays he'll play tall/medium back. Is that a role you'd expect Ledger to go well in?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:

886brother said :

That pretty well sums up my feelings as well. It would be good to have the question asked by the Press. However, don't hold your breath for the real answer!

Me too.

The other thing that is rather amusing and a bit depressing is that ppl don't see why this is a problem.

If it happens with Ledger it can happen to someone else.

For example, right now one could argue that Tom Lynch is at least equal if not showing mor than Tom Lee, if we had used him more appropriately, we may have not needed Lee and used pick 12 as part of a deal to get a KP back... or a good mid etc

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
8856brother wrote:St Kilda are now just simply humiliating him now by upgrading Shenton.
Sounds like if Shenton plays he'll play tall/medium back. Is that a role you'd expect Ledger to go well in?
No it's not. You obviously miss the whole point of my post. Isn't Gilbert playing?

FQF wrote:
Which players have we discarded that have been picked up by other clubs and succeeded?

It would have to have happened quite a number of times for you to label it a habit.
I didn't say dicarded, but let go, and I'm sure you can read up on the movements of players over the last 30 odd years or so to get the picture..

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:He doesn't. Jones deserves his spot in the team, for now.
agree

Ledger in the VFL is a ball magnet, I agree there but his disposal is 90% of the time bloody average.. he tries hard. But as noted lacks defensive run. I think he's heart is in the right place but his kicking is worse than Jones. Jones has composure a lot more of the time then Ledger (big call i know)... I hope he can work on this and fix it cuz he just finds the ball so much in the VFL.

But atm we can't afford a guy that will turn it over that much... a very high % of the goals scored against us this year have been from turn overs. Geelong game point in case.

I am not a Ledger hater... I just think based on what i have seen that he's not in for a reason. But according to a post on Big Footy it's said he will play the last two games of the year. So we will be able to get a good look at him. I hope he plays bloody well and earns a shot next year.

Carn ledger carn the Saints!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

8856brother wrote:
bergholt wrote:
No it's not. You obviously miss the whole point of my post. Isn't Gilbert playing?

Gilbert may well be playing, but it will be at Sandy, not for the Saints.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:

886brother said :

Me too.

The other thing that is rather amusing and a bit depressing is that ppl don't see why this is a problem.

If it happens with Ledger it can happen to someone else.

For example, right now one could argue that Tom Lynch is at least equal if not showing mor than Tom Lee, if we had used him more appropriately, we may have not needed Lee and used pick 12 as part of a deal to get a KP back... or a good mid etc

It wouldnt even be a slight argument. Lynch is way better than lee at the moment but it took injuries and a player to leave for him to play. He played as many at Adelaide last year as he did in his final year at the Saints. its just how it sometimes works. Some players cant fit into a side for whatever reason. Obviously last year Lynch didnt do enough to keep his spot.

Now back to Ledger. I firstly doubt SW is not playing a guy who he thinks will help a side. He must think he wont help the side. I dont think SW is in RL position, when at the Saints, where he can throw a game by not playing a guy up to AFL footy. ledger obviously lacks what they want. Whatever that is. He isnt one of those players who may step up once he plays AFL footy because on the face of it he seems to be doing OK. I suppose if SW has already decided he isnt part of next year then there is no point in playing him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
bergholt wrote:
I understand the point of your post, but that sentence makes no sense which is why I commented on it. Is Lewis Pierce humiliated because Minchington got promoted last week?