Mav Weller

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mav Weller

dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:My take on this is that they have to shrink their list. If they think they are only going to get a second rounder for him, do they really need a late second round pick? They'll probably only use three picks anyway and may have plans to get a late first rounder from someone else on another trade.
Yes but they could on-trade or downgrade any picks they receive…

They could sweeten a deal for someone like Gilbert with their second round and maybe throw in a fourth rounder from a trade of a young fringe player like Weller?

It's all currency.

that's waht I was thinking. Elshaugh would look like a genius if he Bains came back with a second rounder, Weller and Wilkinson for an ageing player. If he just traded for a pick it wants to look pretty flash for us.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Good discussion, thanks guys.
To me, Watters has announced we need mid field depth and unless we really top up early with mid fielders surely a third round pick would be worth a punt. He's played AFL, is ready to go and its not like he has been an abject failure.
While I'm at it, what about Ben Griffiths Richmond and Pat Karnezis Brisbane?

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The reason is this

I know the boys pedigree, and the history on him growing up.... He played senior footy in Year 10 and was a huge talent....

He was predicted to easily be a top 10 draft pick when he was 16yo.

He's three years in... His output is as good or better than Steven, Armitage, Geary, Dempster, Siposs, Cripps, Ledger and a load of players at the same age and development, players who have been average early but settled in well..... Armo is perhaps the best example.... After 2010 he average a dozen touches a game and had played about 20odd games?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The reason is this

I know the boys pedigree, and the history on him growing up.... He played senior footy in Year 10 and was a huge talent....

He was predicted to easily be a top 10 draft pick when he was 16yo.

He's three years in... His output is as good or better than Steven, Armitage, Geary, Dempster, Siposs, Cripps, Ledger and a load of players at the same age and development, players who have been average early but settled in well..... Armo is perhaps the best example.... After 2010 he average a dozen touches a game and had played about 20odd games?
Cheers, any idea why they are letting him go for free?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They have a glut of midfield talent.... He haven't developed to the elite talent they are after...

Josh Toy was another that didn't pan out ..... Injuries curtailed him.... Some don't

But I think Mav will get another shot

Could be Tom Hislop or he could be Josh Kennedy

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I don't know him but do remember him being talked up in his first year. Fits the age profile, fits the need profile. As long as he has no injury or attitude issues then he is worth a punt. No more risk than Ledger.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I can't se what they would get for Weller that would be better than what they already hold - they have a first round pick, an end of first round compensation pick they have activated for this year and a relatively high second round pick. That's three top 30 picks (two picks within the top twenty or so) and you would think they will only take three picks as they need to reduce thier list.

As someone said, they are already so gorged with top ten picks that they don't really have a need for what seems a reasonable kid......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I can't se what they would get for Weller that would be better than what they already hold - they have a first round pick, an end of first round compensation pick they have activated for this year and a relatively high second round pick. That's three top 30 picks (two picks within the top twenty or so) and you would think they will only take three picks as they need to reduce thier list.

As someone said, they are already so gorged with top ten picks that they don't really have a need for what seems a reasonable kid......

But if he had potential wouldnt you wait and see what happens? you dont get extra points for getting rid of players early. They must think clubs know this guy has some issues and wouldnt be required.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:I can't se what they would get for Weller that would be better than what they already hold - they have a first round pick, an end of first round compensation pick they have activated for this year and a relatively high second round pick. That's three top 30 picks (two picks within the top twenty or so) and you would think they will only take three picks as they need to reduce thier list.

But if he had potential wouldnt you wait and see what happens? you dont get extra points for getting rid of players early. They must think clubs know this guy has some issues and wouldnt be required.

yeah but they have to get rid of a number of players, and take three picks minimum in the draft, who goes? Someone has to, and those that are most surplus to requirements will be the ones. I would suggest that means mids....not top liners of course, but probably some reasonable kids that would normally get more of a go somewhere else, particularly somewhere that doesn't have to reduce it's list size!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His fitness is exemplary I've heard...

Tasmanian on the GC?

Not a natural habitat.... How's he fit in?

Not sure

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

Tasmanian on the GC?

Didn't hurt Nick....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
BigMart wrote:

Tasmanian on the GC?

Didn't hurt Nick....

Stop making sense. Seriously if we are using where they come from and where they go to as an excuse then there is no point in whinging if we dont recruit Cousins or Garlett or Darling. Im still wondering how Rioli can play footy. Jimmy stynes must have lived in the warm part of Ireland.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't really serious about that Mav?

But he went to GC as a 17yo into a very different environment.... Burnie is a long way of Sunny GC

He may have had heightened expectations... Who knows? But it doesn't really make a lot of sense... Impatient GC imo

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Wasn't really serious about that Mav?

But he went to GC as a 17yo into a very different environment.... Burnie is a long way of Sunny GC

He may have had heightened expectations... Who knows? But it doesn't really make a lot of sense... Impatient GC imo

I would really love to know how many games you have seen this guy play as well as how many training sessions you have seen to say impatient GC. Im betteing they know exactly what they are doing. That doesnt mean they will be 100% right with delisting but they have everyone covered here on why they are doing it.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

He broke his scapula early in 2013, so probably missed a lot of training and footy this year. GCS and GWS have stockpiled a lot of top end talent the last few years, and have to delist quite a few. They have to reduce their lists, plus make room for new draft picks. They were dealt a good hand that's for sure.

I have been saying for a couple of years that some very good guys will be let go over the next year or two by these clubs, and I'm sure our guys know who is who. Weller may be one, maybe not. There will be others as it is a question of maths. They have to reduce their list from ( I think) 48 to 42.

Will be a bargain or two you would think. We are well placed to pick the ones who would suit us.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

GC have to delist someone, embarrassment of riches I reckon...
Worth a look for mine, has to have more chance of development than someone like Dunnell?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:He broke his scapula early in 2013, so probably missed a lot of training and footy this year. GCS and GWS have stockpiled a lot of top end talent the last few years, and have to delist quite a few. They have to reduce their lists, plus make room for new draft picks. They were dealt a good hand that's for sure.

I have been saying for a couple of years that some very good guys will be let go over the next year or two by these clubs, and I'm sure our guys know who is who. Weller may be one, maybe not. There will be others as it is a question of maths. They have to reduce their list from ( I think) 48 to 42.

Will be a bargain or two you would think. We are well placed to pick the ones who would suit us.

Isnt every club well placed to pick up these players?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Who doesn't need a Viv & Mav on their list, I'm in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Who doesn't need a Viv & Mav on their list, I'm in.

Well lets get Richards and the guy from top gun then.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

We have an under-developed list and plenty of money. No salary cap issues. Quite different from pretty much every other club. But you knew that......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:We have an under-developed list and plenty of money. No salary cap issues. Quite different from pretty much every other club. But you knew that......

But how does that make us better placed to pick up delsited players?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:We have an under-developed list and plenty of money. No salary cap issues. Quite different from pretty much every other club. But you knew that......

But how does that make us better placed to pick up delsited players?
We will have 3rd pick in each round.
Plus we have more redacted players than anyone else, meaning more availability, given our ladder position.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:But it doesn't really make a lot of sense... Impatient GC imo
Only logic I can see is that they wanted to do the right thing by the kid. Delisting him well ahead of the deadline gives him plenty of time to talk to other clubs, maybe squeeze in some training sessions, every chance then of finding a spot on another list. If that's the case then good on GC for being good blokes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dermot said this morning we are the third worst in starting midfilders in the comp with only melbourne and i can't remember who else behind us. He would get another ready developed rotation in there. I liked what i saw in the couple of games I saw him in, I can't work out why they dumped him still. kyal horsley was going pretty well a couple of years ago too but i think he did a knee.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Dermot said this morning we are the third worst in starting midfilders in the comp with only melbourne and i can't remember who else behind us. He would get another ready developed rotation in there. I liked what i saw in the couple of games I saw him in, I can't work out why they dumped him still. kyal horsley was going pretty well a couple of years ago too but i think he did a knee.

He averages 14 possessions per game and only got 4 games this year. hardly earth shattering stats. And i dont think footy is his main issue.