Why can't I hate Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why can't I hate Ross Lyon?

Felix! Good one! (have an emoticon for that :lol: )

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SAAD wrote:Ross is a dog...he is a rat...walking out like he did...not even saying goodbye and letting the players know...could have handled it better...hope he gets bad karma for leaving us like he did...

Strength Through Loyalty...most of our greats have never showed it....Stuff Ross...

Could have handled it better?

His management was the same as Mark Harvey's!

People always like to throw around the 'handled it better' line without any solution. He did what was necessary for him to move. People were always going to be upset, disappointed, angry - But he handled it perfectly as it was a brutal situation.

lloyd21
Club Player

Maybe another way to think about it

Imagine Jeff Kennett that arrogant prick who is still the mouthpiece of Hawthorn (or a least he thinks he is) if Hawthorn win

Shudder to think about it. 8-)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I was disappointed when Ross Lyon decided to leave us for the Fremantle job. But being perfectly honest, the guy had gone as far as he could with us. The manner in which we bowed-out of the 2011 finals race, beaten at our "fortress" by the Sydney Swans with hardly a whimper, convinced me that all was not well, and I was not as angry as many others were about his departure. I'm not going to be bitter and twisted enough to hope that Freo lose, simply because we haven't been successful in the "big one", as JB has said, we've had our chances since '66 to win another flag; 71, 97, 09, 10 (twice) the fact that we missed those chances has nothing to do with anyone else except ourselves. I saw Freo destroy Geelong (on their own midden) and if Hawthorn think they're home and hosed ..BOY are they gonna be in for a surprise! Ross Lyon has proved to be a good coach, though not (yet) a great one. Whether he has the talent /desire / patience to BUILD a premiership side is debatable, I happen to think that he would struggle to BUILD a flag winner from the floor up (as SW is doing) but good luck to him this week GO FREO!
+1

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well for those of us who can't stand the prospect of either side winning, there's always another way of looking at it:

By 5:00pm tomorrow night, either Hawthorn will have managed to blow another opportunity to add a trophy during their "premiership window", or Ross will have come up short yet again. 8-)

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I don't really care who wins or loses as my sense of self-worth is not tied to bunch of young men booting around a leather bag of air.
I love going to watch the Saints play and I enjoy supporting the team.
I also enjoy a bit of lighthearted banter with friends about the game.
At the end of the day though it is a sport, an entertainment, a little bit of respite from the rest of the working week.
Anybody who ties any more than that to it I feel genuinely sorry for.

At the end of the 2009 grand final I left the ground and I was rope-able.
Angry that we should have won and that bad kicking on the day cost us a taste of the real joy that is a flag.
Then I went out to dinner that night with my regular football companion, who was with me at the game and was equally disappointed.
We had a nice meal and a bit of a laugh and a joke and said "Oh well, next year but what a ride."

For me it is just football and for that reason I can't hate him either.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Well for those of us who can't stand the prospect of either side winning, there's always another way of looking at it:

By 5:00pm tomorrow night, either Hawthorn will have managed to blow another opportunity to add a trophy during their "premiership window", or Ross will have come up short yet again. 8-)
Right on, Doc! And the great thing is that I won't know anything about it! Am gonna miss u guys again, hopefully for a few days this time, lol

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I hear that! Although I just found a bar in the US that is showing the game live!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Well for those of us who can't stand the prospect of either side winning, there's always another way of looking at it:

Right on, Doc! And the great thing is that I won't know anything about it! Am gonna miss u guys again, hopefully for a few days this time, lol
You are fair Dinkum unbelievable stevie

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:I don't really care who wins or loses as my sense of self-worth is not tied to bunch of young men booting around a leather bag of air.
I love going to watch the Saints play and I enjoy supporting the team.
I also enjoy a bit of lighthearted banter with friends about the game.
At the end of the day though it is a sport, an entertainment, a little bit of respite from the rest of the working week.
Anybody who ties any more than that to it I feel genuinely sorry for.

At the end of the 2009 grand final I left the ground and I was rope-able.
Angry that we should have won and that bad kicking on the day cost us a taste of the real joy that is a flag.
Then I went out to dinner that night with my regular football companion, who was with me at the game and was equally disappointed.
We had a nice meal and a bit of a laugh and a joke and said "Oh well, next year but what a ride."

For me it is just football and for that reason I can't hate him either.

Yeah I'm with you- not overly emotional either way. Good reasons to want both to lose but it's just a game. I hope Hawks win but for no good reason just really picking a side to back.

markp
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:go the hawks
.... to HELL!!! :wink:

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Simmo2 wrote:Try as I might.... I can't hate him.

Infact this week has made me sentimental and I hope Freo do what we couldn't.

For a week... I'm a Docker
Oh dear.

I find it sad people are happy for a team so new to already taste success.

Are you happy for GWS and GC to win flags also?

How about Adelaide? The following year they had won two, more than us.

Heck, why not hope the Dogs win their second before us also.

As fans we need to be more ruthless and hate more
Utter crap. Talk about small minded and childish.

Heres an unpleasant fact. Freo are in the GF and we arent.

Grow up.

Oh yeah, hate really has worked. FFS your posts are embarrassing.

Hope Freo win the flag and the dumb arsed Lyon haters on this forum are made to look like the low browed unintelligent fools any thinking person already knows they are
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:

Oh dear.

I find it sad people are happy for a team so new to already taste success.

Are you happy for GWS and GC to win flags also?

How about Adelaide? The following year they had won two, more than us.

Heck, why not hope the Dogs win their second before us also.

As fans we need to be more ruthless and hate more
Explain to me why fans being ruthless and hating other teams will assist in our club getting better players?

Yep makes sense

Stop living through a football club

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

sippo wrote:In a political scenario, reminds me of Bill Shorten.
Class rat old Bill....
A grade nuff

“Yeah….nah””
stevie
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
stevie wrote:

You are fair Dinkum unbelievable stevie
Sorry bro but it hurts too much watching wankers getting flags. It didn't bother me when we were s***. Now it annoys me.

The fact that interest in AFL for me is waning helps.

SAAD
Club Player

He could have handled it better Spinner instead of our players turning on the radio and TV to find the headlines and finding out their coach had taken off to Western Australia, they were shocked. No respect for the players, no guts to tell them, just packed his bag and fled in the middle of the night. Handled it like a COWARD!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Get over it SAAD. It's ancient history.

And for those ppl sooo concerned that our premiership flag list is so low and that Freo may equal it tomorrow. Who Cares! I honestly wonder whether some ppl actually even like football? All they care about is the ego pumping that comes with a good win and somehow believe that this makes them a more successful person. It really is quite amazing to see so many ppl so bitter and twisted about what essentially is a game of sport. Are we that insecure if another team who has been in comp 18 years equals our paltry flag total?

Hawks have won more flags in the last 42 years than anyone. In fact they've doubled most other clubs in that time. I care not to see them add to that. I would prefer to see history being made. BUT if the Hawks win and those insufferably arrogant supporters of theirs get to gloat for awhile - good luck to them...

SAAD
Club Player

God forgives...I don't...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SAAD wrote:He could have handled it better Spinner instead of our players turning on the radio and TV to find the headlines and finding out their coach had taken off to Western Australia, they were shocked. No respect for the players, no guts to tell them, just packed his bag and fled in the middle of the night. Handled it like a COWARD!

OK present a solution then... if the big issue in all of it was not telling the players...

From what I remember - He resigned to the CEO - Drove straight to Lennys house - Went to the hospital to tell Roo - and then rang a few others.

Its a race against the media.

Do you suggest a group text message similar to Kurt Tippett and tell all 45 players?

People cry and sook all the time that others could have handled it better; but in actual fact most times it was handled well - people just didn't like the result.

But if you're only concern is that some players didn't know about it as soon as he resigned to the CEO - Well then, this really isn't an issue in the first place.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The press was everywhere.

Hutchy did live crosses during TFS with vision of nettles pacing the floor.

He knew this would happen, he led them along as part of his plan.

I get he was poor, like really in a mess, that's why I still think he was testing the market when he had a whinge earlier that year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It was interesting listening to Ben Allen on the radio the other day. I got the feeling he was offended by the fact that there is a Ross Lyon is a genius vibe around at the moment. He was suggesting that the whole club was building to this point and nothing they are achieving now could not have been achieved with out what came before.

It seems to me the thing that the players say is different about Ross is him keeping the players focussed on creating a narrative that defines the group and all the players doing their bit to achieve the common purpose 100% of the time.

Bartlett was saying that he got the Saints to 2 GFs with a "mediocre team" - I wonder if he had stayed and we spent 3 years down the bottom half of the ladder wether the perception would be the same. I think not. His value is perfectly utilised by having good lists at his disposal where he can run them hard and leave and move on.

He is a better coach now with more currency with the playing group because of his previous achievements. It's easy to sell a message when you are perceived as an exceptional coach.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

here are some of my reasons...they may help...

1. luke ball

2. playing that girl zac dawson in front of maxie in the 2009 grannie......what was he thinking.????...dawson had been in hospital on a drip all day..

3. ball playing for the filth in the 2010 grannie cost us the flag. ...maxie's input to the filth on our game plan didn't help either.....both desertions were directly caused by lyon

4. abusing the players and support staff immediately following the drawn grannie...no wonder the players were down in the replay.....

5. deserting us for the money after"retiring" three of the players.

6. destroying our list and our future by not recruiting or playing young players.....

....i could go on...but you get he idea....
Last edited by stinger on Fri 27 Sep 2013 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Although I’d love the Saints to be in the Grand Final, that would only be if it was at the expense of Freo and not the Hawks.

Imagine if Ross and Freo both won their first premiership and we were the defeated team!

That would test most of us regardless of our feelings toward the old coach :shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Barrack for a draw, as a saints fan it's our best result...sets both teams back a week for 2014.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Barrack for a draw, as a saints fan it's our best result...sets both teams back a week for 2014.
...and would give the afl a further 20 million, some of which they might throw our way.... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.