No GWS for buddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: No GWS for buddy

Old Mate wrote:I guess Cameron, Patton and Boyd will have to do.

Well if that is all they have then they are stuffed. Without suggested they cant play which obviously they can they still wont be a good side until the midfield comes good. You can have the best attack or defence in the AFL but if you have a poor midfield you wont win games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:.....I've heard that Tom Mitchell didn't originally want to go to Sydney under the father-son rule, but the offer they gave him was too good to refuse, $500,000 in his first season, then $50,000 per year for the next 2.

So if that's true, then that frees up $450,000 for next year & the one after.

Well that clearly isnt true because you cant do that.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:I think that the Swans have got to seriously the risk of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. The AFL hierarchy presumably wanted Buddy to go to GWS. The other AFL clubs are going to be apoplectic at first Tippett and now Buddy going to the Swans.

Perhaps this will inspire a majority of the clubs to want to take a serious look at the salary cap loading. The difference between Sydney and Melbourne rental prices are not as great as they once were. If any city demands a salary cap loading, it's Perth.

This is all quite a mess.

Im with you on this. it will not make the AFL or the clubs happy but i also think it is risky for the Swans to lose these players that they will have to lose to get Buddy.
Yes, you are right: I don't think they are lacking power up forward. I'm also not certain, if I were in charge of a footy club, that Buddy would be first choice of expensive A list player. He's worked well in the context of the Hawks set up, but he's an inconsistent player who can go missing for long periods. He's no Adam Goodes, that's for sure. But he's a marquee player who will get the membership numbers up, so I can understand why they did it.

But, as I said, the wrath of the rest of the AFL world that will now descend upon them might eventually lead to a rule change. It doesn't always pay in the long run to be too clever by half.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:.....I've heard that Tom Mitchell didn't originally want to go to Sydney under the father-son rule, but the offer they gave him was too good to refuse, $500,000 in his first season, then $50,000 per year for the next 2.

Cant see why you couldnt.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Because you cant. Explain to me how you can when the first 2 years of any AFL player drafted has a set salary?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:.....I've heard that Tom Mitchell didn't originally want to go to Sydney under the father-son rule, but the offer they gave him was too good to refuse, $500,000 in his first season, then $50,000 per year for the next 2.

Because you cant. Explain to me how you can when the first 2 years of any AFL player drafted has a set salary?
I thought that was a minimum

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

I thought that was a minimum

No its a set figure. Some clubs sign them for longer so they can pay a huge amount in the third year. marc Murphy was an example of this. The first 2 years are a set amount depending on where you are drafted.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Also, if i'm not mistaken- isn't Mitchell 2 years in? (injured last year?)
Also, what's so amazing about 600k over 3 years anyway?
Sounds like a load of baloney

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Shane Crawford tweet

"Hawthorns offer to big bud was bigger then both GWS and Sydney what more could they do? #hewants2liveinsydney #freedom #istillovehim"

Kickit
Club Player

fingers wrote:Shane Crawford tweet

"Hawthorns offer to big bud was bigger then both GWS and Sydney what more could they do? #hewants2liveinsydney #freedom #istillovehim"
Mardi Gras????

fingers
Saintsational Legend

LOL and now talk of a 9 year deal!!!!!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Nine year deal??

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

That's what is all over the news - Robbo, opposition clubs, SEN - ridiculous if true