FFS Dimwit. Swans salary cap is a joke!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Re: FFS Dimwit. Swans salary cap is a joke!

Life Long Saint wrote:The Swans allowance should only apply for anyone earning less than $200k.
If you need an extra 10% on top of your exorbitant salary then the club should offer a financial planning service (I'm sure the player's management does that anyway).

Trying to tell the public that a player on more than $200k pa needs a 10% living allowance is sickening!

Nobody is buying it, AFL...It's time to either scrap it or make it fair and apply it to each city based on economic data and cap it.
So $200k no but $195K yes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If that is true and they serve them in paper bags without a plastic lining I will spew up.
Mate, our membership cards are cut from soggy VB cases, let's be realistic.

Doesnt matter how poor you are. There is no excuse for steamed dim sims to be served in paper bags unless they are lined by a plastic bag.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:The Swans allowance should only apply for anyone earning less than $200k.
If you need an extra 10% on top of your exorbitant salary then the club should offer a financial planning service (I'm sure the player's management does that anyway).

Trying to tell the public that a player on more than $200k pa needs a 10% living allowance is sickening!

Nobody is buying it, AFL...It's time to either scrap it or make it fair and apply it to each city based on economic data and cap it.
There has to be a line, doesn't there?
$200k is a figure that I just plucked out...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Life Long Saint wrote:
fingers wrote:

There has to be a line, doesn't there?
$200k is a figure that I just plucked out...
Fair enough LLS, one has to pluck a figure for the sake of the argument.

But your point PERFECTLY encapsulates the stupidity of this whole Swine cap debacle thing! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Similar to a point made by Win7 in his excellent article,... where from his African school room he mused at how $1.4mil wasn't enough to stop Buddy contemplating selling-out his club of nine years... not sure how Win7 went about explaining that one to his African school kids...? :shock: :( :oops:

How much do some of these blokes want...? How much do they think they need...? :?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

The top tax bracket is $180,000 which indicates what we consider a high income… these are people that can cope with the cost of living.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Beekay wrote:I just think of Sydney as The AFL. When they win the flag, it's just a null year.

It's not all bad. I'd prefer a null year than Carlton, Bombers, Geelong, Collingwood, etc winning the flag.

Ultimately, though, I'd prefer a fair competition at least on paper.
Beekay, that is just soooooo well put.

Thank you.

(Jiggling Dave, please give Beekay some emoticons.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
samwell
Club Player

Cost of coke is about 25% more up there so Buddy is actually losing money

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is also going to get over $1million as a promotional allowance as they paid lockett and Hall. This was all but guaranteed verbally before as a NSW special compensation to promote the game. We never heard about it when our players were stolen either so it won't be made public.

Essendon are paying Goddard after his footy career ends as an employee of a transport company. The whole comp is becoming a farce. It is now so imbalanced that it's hard to compete but we haven't even gone through the decade of dominace that GWS and GC will have. If there is still a Bulldogs, St Kilda or North melbourne it will be a miracle.

I actually think there will be a club led revolt against the AFL where the big clubs will stop wanting to pay before that happens and this might be the start. I'm thinking we might want to start looking at Tasmania or NZ as our permanent home and beg for ridiculous hand outs now before the whole thing collapses.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is also going to get over $1million as a promotional allowance as they paid lockett and Hall. This was all but guaranteed verbally before as a NSW special compensation to promote the game. We never heard about it when our players were stolen either so it won't be made public.

Essendon are paying Goddard after his footy career ends as an employee of a transport company. The whole comp is becoming a farce. It is now so imbalanced that it's hard to compete but we haven't even gone through the decade of dominace that GWS and GC will have. If there is still a Bulldogs, St Kilda or North melbourne it will be a miracle.

I actually think there will be a club led revolt against the AFL where the big clubs will stop wanting to pay before that happens and this might be the start. I'm thinking we might want to start looking at Tasmania or NZ as our permanent home and beg for ridiculous hand outs now before the whole thing collapses.

Is that true about BJ? I havent read that anywhere.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good post Gringo, agree.....

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Two things-most Hawthorn supporters would have been accepting that Buddy was going to GWS to help them (and the AFL) have that "marquee player" that will bring thousands through the door to boost the GWS.

They weren't expecting him to accept an offer to go a successful club and live in Bondi and be close to "colourful Sydney identitiies" who help supply him with wine, women and songs.

And to the Hawthorn supporters, now you know how we felt when Plugger went to Sydney.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:He is also going to get over $1million as a promotional allowance as they paid lockett and Hall. This was all but guaranteed verbally before as a NSW special compensation to promote the game. We never heard about it when our players were stolen either so it won't be made public.

I know people at the transport company in corporate and he was offered a job post footy. The Essendon footy club and Little denied that that was the lure and have said it didn't help him make the decision. If it didn't why say?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I know people at the transport company in corporate and he was offered a job post footy. The Essendon footy club and Little denied that that was the lure and have said it didn't help him make the decision. If it didn't why say?

I think people missed the point about the job offer from Toll. Ten to one it wasn't for Goodard but for close family members soon to be free and looking for jobs.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

samwell wrote:Cost of coke is about 25% more up there so Buddy is actually losing money
No, I think he has that covered. He can borrow a truck from Bj's transport company and load up with product!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:talk is they are extending the ground (according to someone that rang up trade radio)

??
yep...by about 9 metres....you can see it when the game is being televised from the scg........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Did the AFL get melbourne storms accountants in for them?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think that is completely untrue. I know a guy who plays golf with BJ at Yarra and that isnt true.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest, like the other poor clubs, we're just not meant to win… can't believe we got so close TBH.

Of the last 14 flags

5 have gone to interstate teams given a different amount of money for players

3 have gone to a team with an absurd recruiting advantage

5 have gone to the richest clubs in the land (Coll, Haw x 2, WCE, Ess)

Adelaide and Port winning 3 in the early years would have made the AFL happy

Now we have 2 more teams that the executives will be desperate to succeed.

Makes our 2 recent close GF losses feel even worse.

They are just starting to investigate a decent equilization policy now… like dogs, saints and demons fans haven't waited long enough…
must be great barracking for Hawthorn, 10 or so flags since our first/last, I'm amazed that any St Kilda fan could be happy to watch that putrid club win another one.

jmac101
Club Player

Great work by the swans. Take my hat of to them. Great for the game up here in sydney as well.

Hawthorn fans should think twice before they have a crack. Few blokes on their list they poached from other clubs.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:Great work by the swans. Take my hat of to them. Great for the game up here in sydney as well.

Hawthorn fans should think twice before they have a crack. Few blokes on their list they poached from other clubs.
But sh.t work by the afl giving them COLA

that is the issue of many in the football world.

saint4life
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I know who the joke is.
They are getting rid of players earning as much as Buddy will get. by the way did it help them this year getting Tippett.

Who are the players and what are the actual figures? Who are they getting rid off to support playing $10mil over 9 nine years?

I can understand your wanting to counter any knee jerk reactions with some facts. If they are indeed not spending a sh*tload more money than before and are just re-distributing their funds to allow for Franklin, then fair enough.
But.........if they really are in a position to fling a sh*tload more money about after winning a flag and paying 800k a year for Tippett, then something is very wrong. Especially in comparison to us, North, Dogs with our lead weight tied to our ankles Etihad set-up.

All your jolly japes on this thread are all very entertaining as you adopt a contrary position Plugger, but what are the actual figures and facts? Does anyone actually know?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I know who the joke is.
They are getting rid of players earning as much as Buddy will get. by the way did it help them this year getting Tippett.

Who are the players and what are the actual figures? Who are they getting rid off to support playing $10mil over 9 nine years?

I can understand your wanting to counter any knee jerk reactions with some facts. If they are indeed not spending a sh*tload more money than before and are just re-distributing their funds to allow for Franklin, then fair enough.
But.........if they really are in a position to fling a sh*tload more money about after winning a flag and paying 800k a year for Tippett, then something is very wrong. Especially in comparison to us, North, Dogs with our lead weight tied to our ankles Etihad set-up.

All your jolly japes on this thread are all very entertaining as you adopt a contrary position Plugger, but what are the actual figures and facts? Does anyone actually know?

Well the rumours which we can only go by are Mummy on 400k, Bolton 400k. Mattner 350k and then one or two others. By the way I dont think they should get the extra money but I worry about clubs from the Northern states as they dont really get many players from their own state. Look at what Brisbane maybe losing bact to their home states this season.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

He is not getting any AFL promotional allowance

Rosco
Club Player

think of it like this

a player is offered 500k from a Vic club

Sydney offers 500 + 10% cola making it 550k

the extra 50k is taxed at 45c on the dollar, so the extra pay is 27.5k

it seems to me that it doesn't cost that much more to live there per year, as someone said, more reasonable for those <200k

it does cost more though, so trim it to 5%?

and reduce the salary cap for Adelaide and Port

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Well the rumours which we can only go by are Mummy on 400k, Bolton 400k. Mattner 350k and then one or two others. By the way I dont think they should get the extra money but I worry about clubs from the Northern states as they dont really get many players from their own state. Look at what Brisbane maybe losing bact to their home states this season.
It still doesn't add up to me. They're going to have replace Mumford, Bolton and Mattner on their list and the new players will have to be paid. And to be offering that much money for nine years???????
What about the other guys on their list who will be in line for a pay rise in years to come?
I don't know the facts and figures, but from the outside my first impression is like many other people. How the F*** can they afford that?
And when it's examined in comparison to the parlous finances of other clubs in the competition it starts to feel very wrong......

And having some kind of sympathy for the northern states clubs? Doesn't wash with me if they're being propped up at the expense of my club or North or the Dees.