Draft hopefuls inc Garlett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

Re: Draft hopefuls inc Garlett

gringo wrote:from Wikipedia the 2004 draft.

this is the difference between success and failure. The Hawks get lewis, Franklin, Murphy and Roughy in one draft Tigers get delidio, meyer, Polo, Pattison and Tambling , bulldogs get Williams, Wells and Griffen. One gets three guns and a good player the others get one right the rest wrong.

Recruiters can make or break you.

Round Pick Player Recruited from Club
Priority 1 Brett Deledio Murray Bushrangers Richmond
Priority 2 Jarryd Roughead Gippsland Power Hawthorn
Priority 3 Ryan Griffen South Adelaide Football Club Western Bulldogs
1 4 Richard Tambling Southern Districts Football Club Richmond
1 5 Lance Franklin Perth Football Club Hawthorn
1 6 Tom Williams Morningside Football Club Western Bulldogs
1 7 Jordan Lewis Geelong Falcons Hawthorn
1 8 John Meesen Geelong Falcons Adelaide
1 9 Jordan Russell West Adelaide Football Club Carlton
1 10 Chris Egan Murray Bushrangers Collingwood
Were Richmond hell bent on recruiting small utility/ multi role players? If they were too one eyed about landing certain 'types' then l see this as a warning story for St. Kilda 2 consider this year.
No doubt Saints have a plan but if a surprise real natural talent presented as a possible pick i'd like to think Pelchin and co pick the best player at the time and work on filling holes later. To me this seems like a safer strategy in the long term but who knows?

G O S A I N T S!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure having tall fwds in this years draft or not makes any difference on the retention of Maister.... A key fwd from this draft will be very unlikely to play And impact senior footy

More likely the fact we have two project fwds currently who need support

Fwiw
A net over the three boys.... Scharenburg the best player probably... By not much... Kelly who I'd rate third would be the best fit... Purely on being a pure mid/victorian

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Old Mate wrote:With pick 3 you've just got to select the best player available.
Which is pretty much everyone else available.
Not necessarily. Sharenberg is highly rated and may be available at pick 3. He's the type of player you said you wouldn't be thrilled with if we picked him.

saint6709
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Not sure having tall fwds in this years draft or not makes any difference on the retention of Maister.... A key fwd from this draft will be very unlikely to play And impact senior footy

Fwiw
A net over the three boys.... Scharenburg the best player probably... By not much... Kelly who I'd rate third would be the best fit... Purely on being a pure mid/victorian
Maister, TDL and Shenton still in line to be cut before the year is out IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Not sure having tall fwds in this years draft or not makes any difference on the retention of Maister.... A key fwd from this draft will be very unlikely to play And impact senior footy

Fwiw

Didnt we just sign maister 2 months ago? If we cut him now then we have no idea what we are doing. Im trusting the club a bit more than that even though I must admit I have no idea why he was signed in the first place.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Megamaguire wrote: No doubt Saints have a plan but if a surprise real natural talent presented as a possible pick i'd like to think Pelchin and co pick the best player at the time and work on filling holes later. To me this seems like a safer strategy in the long term but who knows?
Based on last year they would definitely jump at a natural talent if he falls to a pick they were not expecting. They did that last year with Lewis Pierce. That's why Winmar was delisted very late in the off-season, because we had picked up Pierce when we didn't expect him to be available and used one more pick than was originally planned.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:

Fwiw

Didnt we just sign maister 2 months ago? If we cut him now then we have no idea what we are doing. Im trusting the club a bit more than that even though I must admit I have no idea why he was signed in the first place.
Seems weird that we extend these guys before this years trade period… none would be chased heavily… and all could be replaced with potentially better players.

Sign up Steven and Newnes - sure, but they should hold fire on mature fringe players

lloyd21
Club Player

This guy seems to be an Obsession with posters

Rather these guys : Dumont Dunstan Giles Salem

Talent will take you only so far these guys really solid options going forward

With Garlett has a history already so you spend 2 years development then wants to go home.

Most of the South Australians stay in Victoria.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:This guy seems to be an Obsession with posters

With Garlett has a history already so you spend 2 years development then wants to go home.

I think most people think Garlett is the guy that should have gone mid first round last year so now there are plenty that think he might get snagged later than he should and they get a high risk high talent cheap. All the guys you mentioned should go by the end of the 2 nd round so Garlett at the start of the 3 rd should appeal to plenty. Hi value might jump as teams don't want to miss out.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
And as for players with freakish ability... get-the-Garlett! And to make sure we get him, I'd use our second pick. With his new girlfriend, Cuddles and Lenny all watching over him he'll stay on the straight and narrow. 8-)
Dave i rate Garlett highly and have seen him do some awesome things on the footy feild BUT... no way should we use pick 21 on him not unless we have a second pick in the top 20 ... maybe if we snag say pick 25 then i would look at it maybe but Dayle is a big risk to pin the hopes on and i personally would want two highly rated kids in the team as well as him if we were to get him more than one highly rated kid and him .... i reckon he will last til the third round possibly even a rookie pick ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:This guy seems to be an Obsession with posters

I think most people think Garlett is the guy that should have gone mid first round last year so now there are plenty that think he might get snagged later than he should and they get a high risk high talent cheap. All the guys you mentioned should go by the end of the 2 nd round so Garlett at the start of the 3 rd should appeal to plenty. Hi value might jump as teams don't want to miss out.
Garlett will be gone before the 3rd round.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to see the phantom draft order change. We would be into Billings if it was to fall the way Twoomey says now.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-09/phantom-draft

Kickit
Club Player

gringo wrote:Interesting to see the phantom draft order change. We would be into Billings if it was to fall the way Twoomey says now.

Interesting. IF we are into Billings , Twoomey has got it right. Its not a matter of "how it falls" its a matter of what the Saints recruiters decide.
I wonder if Twoomey has some inside information.
Its hard to explain why the order would change after Billings missed the combine and Kelly had a successful combine.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Interesting. IF we are into Billings , Twoomey has got it right. Its not a matter of "how it falls" its a matter of what the Saints recruiters decide.
Its hard to explain why the order would change after Billings missed the combine and Kelly had a successful combine.
I don't think he's predicting that as the order for the actual draft. After all, he's got Luke McDonald at number 4 when obviously he'll go at 8. Presumably he's just saying that all else being equal he considers Billings the third best player in the pool.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
gringo wrote:Interesting to see the phantom draft order change. We would be into Billings if it was to fall the way Twoomey says now.

Interesting. IF we are into Billings , Twoomey has got it right. Its not a matter of "how it falls" its a matter of what the Saints recruiters decide.

Knightmare from Bigfooty has both Kelly and Aish as reassessed as being a bit crapper than he had predicted now- say not in the top 5 now. Me thinks he's jumped on the other phantom draft and changed up accordingly.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:

Billings is starting to grow on me....
if he had managed a knee yet is still considered top 5 going at 80% - he could be the best of the lot (remember joel selwood).

Viking3
Club Player

Gee, Dal's cousin, Marcus Bontempelli, is growing on me.
190cm solid body midfielder with sound attributes.
Today's update says he has sprung up another 4 cm.
194cm midfielder.
Would be some presence.
Pick 3 probably too high, and not likely to last past 10 or so.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:Gee, Dal's cousin, Marcus Bontempelli, is growing on me.
190cm solid body midfielder with sound attributes.
Today's update says he has sprung up another 4 cm.
194cm midfielder.
Would be some presence.
Pick 3 probably too high, and not likely to last past 10 or so.

I saw that- he's KPP size nearly, same size as James Frawley but a big quick mover. I saw him on TAC future stars a few weeks ago and his highlights looked pretty good. Might be another Sam Gilbert type of rangy tall ball carrier hopefully with better kicking. Hard one to know where he's going to go at. He is kind of an odd size for how he plays.

i'm into Freeman. I think he looks a Judd like centre break mid- full pace off 2 steps type.

falka
Club Player

I'm on billings bandwagon. Love pure classy footballers. Will go through mid at afl eventually. Got 32 touches in a rare Tac game this year before going under knife. Love the boy