Disarray update 10/10/13

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disarray update 10/10/13

Here's a prediction

We will be a basket case for two seasons... On and off field.... Due to continued mis management

If we are not lucky enough to recover quickly.... We will not see 2017 as a club in the AFL

Melbourne survived... Their name and history (and Stynes) saved them.... Do we have 10 premierships, carry the name of the city and have Rich board members willing to give and a Jim Stynes to get behind?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Here's a prediction

We will be a basket case for two seasons... On and off field.... Due to continued mis management

If we are not lucky enough to recover quickly.... We will not see 2017 as a club in the AFL

Melbourne survived... Their name and history (and Stynes) saved them.... Do we have 10 premierships, carry the name of the city and have Rich board members willing to give and a Jim Stynes to get behind?!

Well I suggest you go and find another club now if that is what you would think could happen because no one with a sane mind would follow a club that they dont think could be in the AFL in 4 years. Do you ever smile BM?
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 10 Oct 2013 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

arpstk
Club Player

Only Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montana, Dempster, Schneider, Gwilt, Gilbert, Geary, Jones, and Ray left

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Here's a prediction

In 3-4 years time when are back in the 8,you will be no where to be seen,just like 2009/10.

Actually,that's not a prediction,that's a fact

Bring back the Lockett era
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Oh no the sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.......

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do we have 10 premierships, carry the name of the city and have Rich board members willing to give and a Jim Stynes to get behind?!
Yes?!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Add to that we didn't pick Darling, didn't pick a drug addict, and Cripps didn't have a photo up on the interwebs :D :D

In good SS tradition if the club does cease to exist fron 2017, I will tell you about it 18 months later :mrgreen:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PJ
SS Life Member

arpstk wrote:Only Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montana, Dempster, Schneider, Gwilt, Gilbert, Geary, Jones, and Ray left
Wow have we traded the other 36 players :shock:

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Oh perlease.

8 clubs will make a loss this year. 8.

Does it matter? Not an iota.

Why? Because the AFL have chosen a business model that pumps up the big clubs to ensure maximum revenue into the competition. They then distribute that money when/as required.

Losing money under the current AFL model is not a failure or due to mismanagement. It's simply part of the deal.

Getting 'handouts' or 'saved' is not show of weakness or a result of failure these days - it's simply inevitable because the AFL have designed the comp to function this way.

Unless the AFL change tact and open up ANZAC Day to all clubs, create an even fixture, open up 'blockbusters' to all clubs etc., we and several other clubs will never be able to be as 'big' as the big clubs. We need to exist for the comp to operate, but the AFL believe the most money is generated by having lots of teams, with most of the effort and exposure pumped into the a small group of those clubs.

It's why Essendon will keep ANZAC Day even after their actions. And why the AFL are already talking about helping get them back on their feet as quickly as possible. The AFL don't bank on all clubs making money. They bank on the big clubs making lots of money then 'help' the small clubs when they need to.

Like it or not, it's the comp we follow.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Meh -the AFL will give us money and we will carry on. We are like a dole bludger club. We will sit smoking out side a centrelink office for a couple of years, get off the cones and then go catapulting up the ladder then walk around like Gordon Gekko for a few years while we are riding high and think we invented money. Then the process starts again. That's the sainter way.

lloyd21
Club Player

Totally disagree with thought Melbourne are in front they are on "life support ".
Stkilda has just had as Bains has just stated yesterday a very successful decade ,without winning the" big one" the media response as been consistent .

" Negative "

Stkilda can rebuild quickly if they make the right choices - President/ Admin /Players/Coaches .

Port Adelaide proved it just last year.

The Draft / Free Agency / Afl draw/ Salary cap all allow bottom teams to rise providing they get things right and don't" pay overs " to individuals within team.

Having listened carefully what new president has been doing think we have ticked that one for a start.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Meh -the AFL will give us money and we will carry on. We are like a dole bludger club. We will sit smoking out side a centrelink office for a couple of years, get off the cones and then go catapulting up the ladder then walk around like Gordon Gekko for a few years while we are riding high and think we invented money. Then the process starts again. That's the sainter way.
The AFL giving money to clubs isn't bludging.

It's the system. It's been designed that way.

andrewg
Club Player

I say s*** prediction but hey even crazy people are entitled to their opinion

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

People are living in the 80s still.

The AFL is entirely different to the VFL.

Operating in the AFL is nothing like, and has nothing to do with how clubs operated in the VFL.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Reading about your club losing money in the VFL was scary.

It shouldn't even make the papers now.

The only relevant thing in terms of a club's security is whether the AFL are making money or not.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
....Getting 'handouts' or 'saved' is not show of weakness or a result of failure these days - it's simply inevitable because the AFL have designed the comp to function this way. Like it or not, it's the comp we follow.
So it's a bit like showbiz entertainment- good guys & bad guys - winners and losers....y'know WWE style!!!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Scollop wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
....Getting 'handouts' or 'saved' is not show of weakness or a result of failure these days - it's simply inevitable because the AFL have designed the comp to function this way. Like it or not, it's the comp we follow.
So it's a bit like showbiz entertainment- good guys & bad guys - winners and losers....y'know WWE style!!!

So I'm guessing we're in the "heels" camp, not the "babyfaces" camp ??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
markp
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Scollop wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

So I'm guessing we're in the "heels" camp, not the "babyfaces" camp ??
Washington Generals maybe....?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

:D

still waiting for this years draft smokie, have asked BM on a number of times to provide this years Gundy or Darling,

Funnily enough he is a bit shy about making a prediction
I know your post is a bit of a pisstake, but I have a smokey for you. Billy Hartung.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Not so much good guys and bad guys, but similar to when advertising a movie - they don't bang on about the actors in minor roles. They sell the big names!

The actors playing minor roles might be dirty on this as they don't get the recognition they feel they deserve - but they'll get looked after financially due to the big bucks that will be generated by the big names.

If the posters came out with a bunch of nobodies on it, they might get the recognition and exposure they want, but I'd bet the movie wouldn't gross as much!

So the AFL want the product to gross as much as possible. And to do so, they market their 'stars' (being the big clubs) and tilt things their way to ensure maximum revenue. The actors playing the minor roles (ie. us) then get our slice of what is a very big pie. Of course due to things being tilted the way of the 'stars' we are not in a position to generate significant income off our own bat - but everyone's happy right!

Except of course those who still see the AFL as a sporting comp that should be about an even crack at success and not an entertainment business focused on generating money.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Look at this way....

How much money did the St Kilda Football Club lose this year?

Then tell me how much money the St Kilda Football Club played a role in generating for the AFL overall by playing each week?

I'd bet you that the second figure far outwieghs the first.

Therefore, 8 clubs losing money is not an issue. It's normal and to be expected.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

2013 Phantom draft by the TAC Future stars folks for all those who want to see some of the new guys before we get them.

bozza1980
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Look at this way....

How much money did the St Kilda Football Club lose this year?

Then tell me how much money the St Kilda Football Club played a role in generating for the AFL overall by playing each week?

I'd bet you that the second figure far outwieghs the first.

Therefore, 8 clubs losing money is not an issue. It's normal and to be expected.
Spot on.

As long as the AFL generates the kind of profits we have become accustomed to seing, we are safe.

Everything the competition does is designed to maximise profit, which gets redistributed.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
As long as the AFL generates the kind of profits we have become accustomed to seing, we are safe.
That's right. And the trade off for the AFL making the profits they make, is that clubs like ours can't flourish financially for long periods of time. The system doesn't allow it - or at the very least makes it incredibly difficult.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Where has it been officially reported that Bill, the fitness guy, has left the Saints with years left on his contract to go work with imploding Nathan

yesterdays herald sun....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.