Rookie Draft 27/11/13 - Official discussion thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie draft Thur 28

ace wrote:We presently have Darren Minchington and Cameron Shenton as type A rookies and Jason Holmes as type B rookie.
Both Minchington and Shenton have been rookies for two years and have been offered a last third year as rookies.
That leaves us two type A slots and two type B slots.
The spare type B slots are probably not going to be used due to lack of available talent.

One of the type A slots may have already been offered to Ahmed Saad if no other club takes him.
He has yet to be "convicted" by AFL & ASADA of a drug offence and is listed as having permission to train with the club.
That indicates the club is not ready to abandon him yet.
If as expected he is "convicted" he may be banned for up to two years.
That ban would prevent him training with or going near the club.
It may not prevent him being on the rookie list and would not prevent him training privately elsewhere but he could not play elsewhere.
where's the kiwi kid fit in...thought he was type b

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie Draft 28/11/13 - Official discussion thread

Zed wrote:Weller is a mystery to me. Seemed destined for a solid AFL career now delisted for reasons that dont seem outwardly obvious. Interested to hear more from those in the know.

My guess is Saints will take an experienced player in the pre-season draft, and rookie a youngster.
if youre going to pick up an player in the pre-season draft, you have to pay out someone. I don't think that is likely unless a player mucks up between now and next week.

SuperDuper
Club Player

The recruiting team info for the ND will have some big input here, regarding guys who were not drafted ...
if there is one they rated relatively high, we will rookie him.... then look at Weller etc...

If there are none that they rated that slipped through... we will look at 2 older guys

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SuperDuper wrote:The recruiting team info for the ND will have some big input here, regarding guys who were not drafted ...
if there is one they rated relatively high, we will rookie him.... then look at Weller etc...

If there are none that they rated that slipped through... we will look at 2 older guys
Top 30 talent, can only imagine Templeton or Battersby tbh, doubt that Hourigan would be considered top 30. A way to look at it could be they rated Templeton at pick 25, if we delist someone, we pick up Eli and we get Longer for a seven pick downgrade in the 40s (Bruce pick)! :lol: So thats, Longer, Templeton & Bruce for Dal & pick 41!

With just two spots free for rookies, Saad would be struggling which could be the case regardless if he cops two years. Ideal draft, Templeton, PSD pick 3, only Dees stand in our way... Then Pick 3 rookie draft a 'live pick', Sully, Thorp, Weller, etc, then our second pick we get back whoever we delisted, ie TDL or Dunnell.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:where's the kiwi kid fit in...thought he was type b
Good question. Presumably Baker-Thomas comes over here this year to train with the side? Or is he still too young - maybe he's another twelve months away?

lloyd21
Club Player

[quote="ace"]It is rare that a player who wins All Australian at the U/18s state carnival misses out on being drafted.
I remember there was a South Australian AA who missed out but got picked up in either the pre season or rookie drafts but eventually proved a failure - name eludes me.

It has happened again Darcy Hourigan 192cm forward did not get picked.

"After a sensational NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with South Australia which earned him All-Australian honours, Hourigan could well be the next key forward picked after the man widely touted as the No.1 pick, Tom Boyd. Hourigan is a physical beast, a strong-bodied forward who has experience playing senior SANFL football with South Adelaide which will set him up for an immediate start next season. Hourigan kicked 16 goals for SA in the U18s including a bag of five against Queensland. Against Vic Metro, he took nine marks, had five inside 50s and kicked three goals in a day which highlighted his credentials. "

He is not tall enough to be a key position player but in a forward line with 2 tall key positions and a resting ruckman taking the oppositions 3 tall defenders, his extra height would make him a hard matchup.

When the clubs realise he was overlooked he could well go in the pre season draft and not survive to rookie draft.
If we want him we would probably need to delist a senior player to free up a pre season pick.

Any thoughts

Agree with you think he would top of the list

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Surely Templeton, Hourigan, Battersby & Weller offer more than a TDL? In this time of cleaning out our club, players & coaches, surely another payout can't hurt if we are building a young group to rise together. I guess it depends on what our list management think. Perhaps they might not wish to invest a year in these overlooked or delisted players because they believe the ND of 2014 offers much more & a predicted low finish again puts us in prime position to draft another 3 or 4 highly rated prospects.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hourigan reminds me of another SA key forward who was overlooked in the 2006 draft

Heath Grundy

It was said he was over developed at junior level and undersized and slow for a KPP at AFL level....

Scoop
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Good question. Presumably Baker-Thomas comes over here this year to train with the side? Or is he still too young - maybe he's another twelve months away?
He is listed as an international scholarship player......too young to be on a rookie list.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:Surely Templeton, Hourigan, Battersby & Weller offer more than a TDL? In this time of cleaning out our club, players & coaches, surely another payout can't hurt if we are building a young group to rise together. I guess it depends on what our list management think. Perhaps they might not wish to invest a year in these overlooked or delisted players because they believe the ND of 2014 offers much more & a predicted low finish again puts us in prime position to draft another 3 or 4 highly rated prospects.
With TC, Dunstan, Seb, Armo, where would Mav fit?

Same could be said for TDL, with Minch, Savage, Billings, Sippo, Markworth, Milera, where does he fit?

The more I think about it, the more I think its not worth giving a two year contract to someone through the PSD unless we think he is a sure thing.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:When will I ever learn

Never post without checking

Although it seems to work for dozens of others
Slipping...not good enough :D

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
spot on
Club Player

Yeah I hope we pick weller up, seems very keen and fit deserve another chance and I think his good enough to get on the main list. Our other pick I hope we go for a tall. One from the state leagues that have a matured body, maybe sully if he is still around. Not sure who else would fit. Just think we could do with some kpp back up and put pressure on the players on the main list

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ill tell you one thing about Weller

He'd be tough

evo
Club Player

Yeah I would take Anthony Miles and Mav Weller. Both ready to go.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
bergholt wrote:
He is listed as an international scholarship player......too young to be on a rookie list.
thanks mate

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
brewski
Club Player

Weller and Thorp would be good

Banned by the censors
lefty
Club Player

Weller I'd take, not Jolly though as there is no point.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would like to think we rookie someone like Willie Riolli. A bit tubby, but full of talent. Kicked five in their grand final. Could be our next Milney.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

spot on wrote:Yeah I hope we pick weller up, seems very keen and fit deserve another chance and I think his good enough to get on the main list. Our other pick I hope we go for a tall. One from the state leagues that have a matured body, maybe sully if he is still around. Not sure who else would fit. Just think we could do with some kpp back up and put pressure on the players on the main list
Do not want Matt Sully. Don't rate him at all. Did you watch him in the VFL Grand final? When the heat was on he got flogged by the young box hill forwards. By all reports he is a terrible bloke too. No thanks..

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ill tell you one thing about Weller

He'd be tough
Because he hails from an area of Tasmania where you come from?? :roll:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie Draft 27/11/13 - Official discussion thread

if jolly was going to be picked up, whould he be trialling already at the saints?

\i like the thought of Mav Weller and if Saad cannot be rookied then another young player.

noob
Club Player

Wouldn't we need to rookie list Saad due to not knowing his verdict? I didn't think you could remove a player from the entire list when contracted - Similar to the Allen and Leigh Fisher scenario?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No to Jolly - flog, on 1 leg , waste of time.

Yuck off Darren

“Yeah….nah””
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Surely TDL can be pushed out for anyone...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Wouldn't we need to rookie list Saad due to not knowing his verdict? I didn't think you could remove a player from the entire list when contracted - Similar to the Allen and Leigh Fisher scenario?
We did it with Winmar last year… just means a payout