Maverick Weller (Rookie - Pick #20)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maverick Weller (Rookie - Pick #20)

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Is there anyone we got who isnt a good pick? Weller looks OK but he has a lot of work to do. Firstly baring a LTI he cant play till round 13 and even then he is fighting with 3 other players. We will see on him. Hopefully he becomes a very good AFL player.
a predictable post by Plugger66 ... in one breath bag those for being happy about the draft pick then cover it up with a hope he turns out good comment ...

And an even more predictable one from you. Sorry but I aint going to say he is a great get until I see him and all the other new guys play. You had a go at ledger today but what did you think of him when drafted. Prbably said it was a great get.

Sorry but I also cannot see where I bagged one person but make that up anyway. Just asked a simple question is there anyone who wasnt a good pick. And of course I hope he turns out ok. I love my club but I refuse to get excited or bag any player I havent seen. In this case I am unsure on Weller.

I can honestly say I never knew anything about Ledger before we got him. Weller was a very highly rated junior and has been pretty good at the suns. His attitude might be the problem though. All the other recruits are highly rated kids and not some guy from the later draft picks like Ledge. Acres, Billings and co are all very highly regarded kids and even Templeton was highly rated. We haven't got too many speculative ones this time and access to footage and bios has never been easier.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

would love to be around Melbs to watch this guy tear it up in the VFL next year! good get worth a crack

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: a predictable post by Plugger66 ... in one breath bag those for being happy about the draft pick then cover it up with a hope he turns out good comment ...

And an even more predictable one from you. Sorry but I aint going to say he is a great get until I see him and all the other new guys play. You had a go at ledger today but what did you think of him when drafted. Prbably said it was a great get.

Sorry but I also cannot see where I bagged one person but make that up anyway. Just asked a simple question is there anyone who wasnt a good pick. And of course I hope he turns out ok. I love my club but I refuse to get excited or bag any player I havent seen. In this case I am unsure on Weller.

I can honestly say I never knew anything about Ledger before we got him. Weller was a very highly rated junior and has been pretty good at the suns. His attitude might be the problem though. All the other recruits are highly rated kids and not some guy from the later draft picks like Ledge. Acres, Billings and co are all very highly regarded kids and even Templeton was highly rated. We haven't got too many speculative ones this time and access to footage and bios has never been easier.

As with nearly every club. Im sure all clubs get footage and bios and more importantly all clubs see then live so they also see weaknesses and not just highlights which is what we tend to look at. And I reckon Trav may have known about ledger being a WA boy. The point is more fail than make it. I hope we have nearly all that make it but if I could be bothered finding posts from 2009 and 2010 drafts the same things would be said about guys we got then. The advantage we have now is we had lower picks this year so percentage wise we have more chance of getting better players. I havent said any unknown player will be a star or a dud because I havent seen any of them play more than one or two games and that was only against guys their own age. I have said I dont think Delaney will make it because i dont think guys who have played less than 30 games in 5 years have a great record of making it and I dont think he is good enough. Havent said anything about any other player. Did point out that I dont see the point of getting Longer but that wasnt about ability, more that I dont know where he plays.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Must be fun at your place Pluggsy.
Oh it's Christmas - hooray! "Don't get excited sweetheart, it may rain later"
It's my birthday - hooray! "Don't get excited sweetheart, what if you fall over and hurt yourself. Won't be a great day then"

If we as saints fans can't get excited about the drafting of kids then there is something wrong. I'm sure lots of us remember watching a young Harvey, Dal, Rooey, Plugger etc. It's part of the journey to follow their rise or fall. Do we have to wait to win a flag to get excited? What's the point?

From my point of view I am looking forward to this year for the first time in a while. Watching the saints and watching the zebs will be compelling viewing and this off
season is already too long.
You really are a miserable old fool pluggsy.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Is there anyone we got who isnt a good pick? Weller looks OK but he has a lot of work to do. Firstly baring a LTI he cant play till round 13 and even then he is fighting with 3 other players. We will see on him. Hopefully he becomes a very good AFL player.
a predictable post by Plugger66 ... in one breath bag those for being happy about the draft pick then cover it up with a hope he turns out good comment ...

you do realise you dont have to comment on every thing ... if you dont want to say he is a great pick up you can easily just not comment .. but no in true Plugger66 fasion you will come out with your snide comment ....

me personally i was very very happy with the drafting of Ledger at the time and i was hoping for big things from him (its what a supporter does) it didnt work out oh well

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Happy we picked up Mav

He was a highly rated kid.... Works hard, and is tough....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

on radio this evening
St Kilda FC‏@stkildafc
New rookie @Maverick_weller is doing the media rounds today, catch him on @3AWSportsToday just after 7pm #MyStKilda

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:Must be fun at your place Pluggsy.
It's my birthday - hooray! "Don't get excited sweetheart, what if you fall over and hurt yourself. Won't be a great day then"

If we as saints fans can't get excited about the drafting of kids then there is something wrong. I'm sure lots of us remember watching a young Harvey, Dal, Rooey, Plugger etc. It's part of the journey to follow their rise or fall. Do we have to wait to win a flag to get excited? What's the point?

From my point of view I am looking forward to this year for the first time in a while. Watching the saints and watching the zebs will be compelling viewing and this off
Owned :D

Before Im 85
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mav on AW next- 7.21

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:

Hilarious that you are 180 degrees wrong. This is site is about having fun and watching people grab the hook even if what I said is exactly how I feel..

#gosaintas
Club Player

Problem for you is that you're not fishing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Problem for you is that you're not fishing.

The problem from you is you dont really get me at all. I couldnt be serious even if I tried but again I type what I believe.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsrus wrote:

Hilarious that you are 180 degrees wrong. This is site is about having fun and watching people grab the hook even if what I said is exactly how I feel..
Plugger ... Are you admitting to baiting???

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66 never baits does he?

#gosaintas
Club Player

I do get you. That's the sad bit for you - you have lost your youthful exuberance when it comes to the saints. It doesn't matter how old you are - we are around the same age I think. You are a cynical old man and I am a youthful old man.

Lighten up. This year will be fun because it has hope. Not for results this year but for enjoying the journey. That's what it's all about. Otherwise it's not worth it. What's to gain from crapping on enthusiasm for our draftees? This may be the best they ever get and you want to dampen it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:I do get you. That's the sad bit for you - you have lost your youthful exuberance when it comes to the saints. It doesn't matter how old you are - we are around the same age I think. You are a cynical old man and I am a youthful old man.

Lighten up. This year will be fun because it has hope. Not for results this year but for enjoying the journey. That's what it's all about. Otherwise it's not worth it. What's to gain from crapping on enthusiasm for our draftees? This may be the best they ever get and you want to dampen it.

Again you are 180 degrees wrong. The best we will evetr get is winning a flag. It will happen for sure. Who knows when though. As for BM he bates all the time.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pluggs prefers burly to mere bait.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsrus wrote:

Maybe you missed the last bit that said thats exactly how I feel. I do wonder if people actually read on here or think they read it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

radio again in the morning
Morning Glory‏@MorningGlorySEN5m
Big Thursday. Watto's second last. Kicks off with @Anna_Flanagan from @Hockeyroos and plenty of footy - Bucks, Mav, new Tiger, Bulldog boss!

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
#gosaintas
Club Player

I'm not 180 deg wrong. Of course the best result is winning a flag. Problem is the odd year in between when we don't win a flag.
Surely you have worked out that following the saints is not flag or bust. Only really hawthorn supporters in our lifetime could exist that way.
Anyway I have said my piece and will now butt out. See you at the very well name TBO.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:on radio this evening
St Kilda FC‏@stkildafc
New rookie @Maverick_weller is doing the media rounds today, catch him on @3AWSportsToday just after 7pm #MyStKilda

shame they don't appear to have included mav's interview in the podcast
http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/27 ... sToday.mp3

maybe the fact he was happy and supportive of the saints didn't sit well with them..

they intimated not best place to be and he quite calmly said they saints are fine / or great-- smething to that affect.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
saintbrat wrote:on radio this evening
St Kilda FC‏@stkildafc

shame they don't appear to have included mav's interview in the podcast
http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/27 ... sToday.mp3

maybe the fact he was happy and supportive of the saints didn't sit well with them..

they intimated not best place to be and he quite calmly said they saints are fine / or great-- smething to that affect.

Stop the chip on your shoulder. You may over balance.

saint6709
Club Player

How many threads get of railed into this boring banter ??? Did anyone say Maverick Weller (Rookie - Pick #20)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Look forward to Maverick having a good year at Sandy. Should we call him Bret, Bart, Beau or Brent?

By the way I just got a new Mac with his OS.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Despite the challenges facing the Saints this season, after losing a core of senior players including Ben McEvoy and Nick Dal Santo, Weller can see a bright future.

"There's a lot of guys that are my age and under at the club, so it's a great opportunity for me, after four or five years (AFL) experience, to help start something special with those guys," Weller said.

The 182cm playmaker said the gruelling boxing training and mental coaching helped refresh his mindset after his time at the Suns finished.

"It has definitely held me in good stead," he said.

"All the pressure I feel is (put on) by myself. So it's good having someone there, everyone has mentors to talk to and he (Edmondson) really helped me out.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... z2lqNlvfZp

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY