My Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: My Team

B: Geary Delaney Gwilt
HB: Dempster Bruce Roberton
C: Ray Jones Webster
HF: Savage Riewolt Newnes
F: Curren Maister Stanley
R: Hickey Armitage Ross
I: Wright Dunstan Templeton
S: Billings

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There is a forward and defensive rotation now, and forwards and backs all rotate through the middle and bench now in a typical 3 or 4 man Rotation

Ie/
Newnes will rotate through the wing, back flank, centre square (outside) and interchange.... In a rotation with Geary, Wright and Ray

Curran will rotate through FP, HHF, Centre Square (link) and interchange... In a rotation with Sanders, Savage,....

Armitage, Dunstan, CJ.... Rotate inside

There will be 6 backs vs 4 fwds.... when pressing 3 qtr

And a structure variation at stoppages
Don't make it too complicated, your mate may not comprehend :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

There's only about 27 to choose from:

Hickey, Longer
Riewoldt, Stanley, Maister, Lee
Dempster, Roberton, Gwilt, Delaney, Simpkin, Bruce
Armitage, Jones, Savage, Ray, Geary, Newnes, Dunstan, Webster, Wright, Curren, Ross, Saunders, Dunell, Templeton, Billings

- I don't reckon we can have two true rucks so Longer misses out, that means Stanley gets picked as alternate.
- I reckon Lee is underdone and they'd like Maister's experience.
- I reckon Delaney will play every game this year, Gwilt has earned a go until proven otherwise, Simpkin and Bruce aren't good enough yet.
- I'm picking Dunell because tony74 had him and because there's no-one else - not sure why he only played one practice match though.

That means:

FB: Gwilt, Delaney, Wright
HB: Webster, Dempster, Roberton
C: Newnes, Armitage, Geary
HF: Savage, Riewoldt, Ray
FF: Curren, Stanley, Maister
R: Hickey, Dunstan, Jones
IC: Ross, Saunders, Dunell, Templeton (sub)
E: Longer, Billings, Simpkin

Looks solid enough defensively, some goal-kicking power - but very weak in the middle.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:There's only about 27 to choose from:

Hickey, Longer
Armitage, Jones, Savage, Ray, Geary, Newnes, Dunstan, Webster, Wright, Curren, Ross, Saunders, Dunell, Templeton, Billings

- I don't reckon we can have two true rucks so Longer misses out, that means Stanley gets picked as alternate.
- I reckon Delaney will play every game this year, Gwilt has earned a go until proven otherwise, Simpkin and Bruce aren't good enough yet.
- I'm picking Dunell because tony74 had him and because there's no-one else - not sure why he only played one practice match though.

That means:

Looks solid enough defensively, some goal-kicking power - but very weak in the middle.
Delaney is likely to play every game but he still is managing injury ATM I believe. He did about half the main training load and hasn't been quite right since he got here. They may have to manage him so Bruce should get a run at some point. Dunnell and Stanley looked sharp at training.

1965 Saint
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:
noob wrote:B: Roberton Bruce Webster
HB: Geary Gwilt Dempster
C: Ray Jones Savage
HF: Saunders Maister Stanley
F: Lee Riewoldt Templeton
R: Hickey Armitage Curren
I: Newnes Dunstan Wright Billings (sub)
How many of this lot are good enough to play finals football?
EIGHT!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
bergholt wrote:There's only about 27 to choose from:

Hickey, Longer

That means:

Delaney is likely to play every game but he still is managing injury ATM I believe. He did about half the main training load and hasn't been quite right since he got here. They may have to manage him so Bruce should get a run at some point. Dunnell and Stanley looked sharp at training.

Im pretty sure delaney is right if he is playing practice games. Still havent seen anything in him to get slightly excited.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Dont mind Delaney Im not hugely excited about his game in isolation Im more pleased that he allows Dempster Roberton and a couple of others to play roles their better suited to.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Melbourne's biggest concern is its forward line - a bit light and inexperienced, so expect one of our talls to be floating through there in a defensive role. I reckon Longer and Hickey will play, and even Maister may be used to throw his body around in defensive contests. I also reckon Richo will put the most experienced and strongest team possible in for this one, rather than experiment with the youngsters..could be something like this:

B: Gwilt Delaney Geary
HB: Dempster Roberton Webster
C: Ray Armo Wright
HF: Savage Maister Newnes
FF: Saunders Roo Stanley
RU:Hickey Jones Curren
Int: Dunnell Templeton Longer Sub:Ross
E: Billings

A bit hard to pick this early though.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Dont mind Delaney Im not hugely excited about his game in isolation Im more pleased that he allows Dempster Roberton and a couple of others to play roles their better suited to.
I agree. He's no Shanahan or Penny, definitely no Hudghton or Frawley, but he might fill a gap for a year or two.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Do we really need Maister in there,understand the big body theory etc,but he is just not up to AFL standard would rather play someone else!

PADDLEPOP1000
spert
Saintsational Legend

Maister is a useful player, but who else do we have with a few years of senior experience knocking on the door for selection..nobody has been putting up their hand pre-season.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Im pretty sure delaney is right if he is playing practice games. Still havent seen anything in him to get slightly excited.

He doesn't have to be amazing just defensive. I watched the Freo game and as bad as some think Dawson is, his ability to put a spoil on is very good. I think some people have an over inflated idea of what a FB should do. If he stops Cloke from kicking seven goals and keeps him to 2 or 3 he has done a great job. Delaney seems to have some good closing speed and spoils well. If he can do that he will improve our team a lot. Gwilt and Simpkin try hard but are likely to get out muscled by the bigger guys.

Delaney is obviously right to play but he is obviously managing something small. I can't remember what was holding his training back in Colorado but think it was shoulders or something.

FQF
SS Life Member

How can anyone suggest that Dunstan will not play round one?

Mitch35
Club Player

B: Wright Delaney Gwilt
HB: Roberton Bruce Dempster
C: Newnes Armitage Savage
HF: Curren Riewoldt Ross
F: Stanley Maister Saunders
R: Hickey Geary Jones
I: Webster, Dunstan, Ray
S: Templeton / Billings

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mitch35 wrote:B: Wright Delaney Gwilt
C: Newnes Armitage Savage
R: Hickey Geary Jones
I: Webster, Dunstan, Ray
S: Templeton / Billings

I think i quite like this team

Maybe swap Gwilt for Fisher if Sam is fit

PS i think you should post more

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I quite like Mitch35's team as well. Except I would swap Maister for Lee at this stage, and play both of Templeton and Billings, maybe by dropping Newnes who does not seem to have found form as yet. Also Markworth was one of our best (for Sandy) last week. Can we squeeze him in?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He doesn't have to be amazing just defensive. I watched the Freo game and as bad as some think Dawson is, his ability to put a spoil on is very good. I think some people have an over inflated idea of what a FB should do. If he stops Cloke from kicking seven goals and keeps him to 2 or 3 he has done a great job. Delaney seems to have some good closing speed and spoils well. If he can do that he will improve our team a lot. Gwilt and Simpkin try hard but are likely to get out muscled by the bigger guys.

Delaney is obviously right to play but he is obviously managing something small. I can't remember what was holding his training back in Colorado but think it was shoulders or something.

I certainly didnt say he had to be amazing but just being defensive wont help in the long run and it also wont help in the short run because of our midfield. If we are to improve in 3 or 4 years time we need a player better just being defensive. i havent seen anything at all in him that makes him better than an ordinary footballer. Happy to be proven wrong though.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Are Gilbert and Fisher definite outs?

Backs
Webster, Roberton, Wright, Geary, Dempster, Delaney, Gwilt

Mids
Ray, Jones, Armitage, Dunstan, Saunders, Newnes, Hickey, Savage

Forwards
Riewoldt, Maister, Stanley, Curren, Templeton? Markworth

Sub
Billings

Whats with the 7 backs? Went out about 4 years ago. Now we play a plus one but that comes from a defensive midfield player.
I recall you saying once that you were an umpire of fringe footy around the Ormond area, is that right?
Well umpires, whilst a necessary evil, may not be the brightest individuals attached to the sport.
Like the majority of your 38,867 posts which are usually verbal crap, to add to it you obviously don't know that 22 players make up a team and that's what BigMart has given us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GoSaintersGo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Are Gilbert and Fisher definite outs?

Backs
Webster, Roberton, Wright, Geary, Dempster, Delaney, Gwilt

Mids
Ray, Jones, Armitage, Dunstan, Saunders, Newnes, Hickey, Savage

Forwards
Riewoldt, Maister, Stanley, Curren, Templeton? Markworth

Sub
Billings

Whats with the 7 backs? Went out about 4 years ago. Now we play a plus one but that comes from a defensive midfield player.
I recall you saying once that you were an umpire of fringe footy around the Ormond area, is that right? Well umpires, whilst a necessary evil, may not be the brightest individuals attached to the sport.
Like the majority of your 3 posts, you obviously don't know that 22 players make up a team and that's what BigMart has given us.

Really who would have guessed. Well its my experience in the current climate that the mids are all on the bench. Not many sides have a bench player who then goes to the backline. The plus one in todays footy is midfielder. Its that simple. if only you had any idea what a plus one was and its not golf pants. Anyway thanks for your reply. By the way whats your role in footy. At the moment I dont umpire but im on the coaching panel so I trust i have a little knowledge and I was last year as well and we went up a grade. The others may have carried me but if the coach was that good surely he wouldnt have a guy with no idea on the coaching panel.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Before yo squeal about me reading your posts, I saw this one before I logged on to reply... Sometimes that happens...

A a rule I never get to read your dribble... Sometimes via a quote or before I log in, I do... Often chuckle, especially when you think I'm responding to you, and is haven't even seen your post... And I a responding to someone else....

However, back to the point...

Only mids on the bench eh?

So a HBF, BP, Running Back, HHF, small fwd, Link..... Never get to do a rest rotation?!

Seriously....

Are you saying Jimmy Webster will play 100% game time?!

FFS I have seen Rooey sitting on the bench? He's not a mid!!!?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Before yo squeal about me reading your posts, I saw this one before I logged on to reply... Sometimes that happens...

A a rule I never get to read your dribble... Sometimes via a quote or before I log in, I do... Often chuckle, especially when you think I'm responding to you, and is haven't even seen your post... And I a responding to someone else....

However, back to the point...

Only mids on the bench eh?

So a HBF, BP, Running Back, HHF, small fwd, Link..... Never get to do a rest rotation?!

Seriously....

Are you saying Jimmy Webster will play 100% game time?!

FFS I have seen Rooey sitting on the bench? He's not a mid!!!?

If thats the case then why didnt you name 7 forwards. your point again makes no sense. Admit you think we will play 7 backs in a game. You have previously said it so at least have the courage to say that is what you are thinking. Maybe you will be right but please dont be so gutless to say that was meant to include interchange players. And when did i say only mids sit on the bench. I said at the start of games there are usually 4 mids or would be mids on the bench. Its far to easy.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you saying Jimmy Webster will play 100% game time?!
He played 88% against GWS.

saintbob
SS Life Member

B: Wright Delaney Webster
C: Newnes Dunstan Savage
R: Hickey Geary Armitage
I: Dunstan, Ray, Templeton Billings

Emerg: Jones, Gwilt,