Time to go Clinton Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Time to go Clinton Jones

I said this in a thread last year. We need Clint. He covers that much ground and does so much of the grunt work. He saves one of our young kids getting prematurely smashed as he is at the coal-face the whole time getting contested possessions and then spreading. Pity about his kicking sometimes, but you could have said that about many players today. His defensive pressure today in the forward half was instrumental in getting us on top in the game.

Until we have a stellar midfield, we need him.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Postby Batnoe » Sun 06 Apr 2014 1:09am

"So you're a receptionist at an office. You try your hardest, yet you're dyslexic and take a wrong number that costs your company money. Do you keep your job because you try your hardest or get replaced because you cost your team/company?"

I've got to hand it to you. It's not easy to do but you've won the award for the most stupid analogy posted on this site for quite a while. No one would have hired a dyslexic to be a receptionist in the first place. Clint was hired because he CAN do the job. And does, week in week out. If possible, think before you post.

Carna Saints!!!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

He is getting plenty of the ball, ok he turned it over a bit last night, but I reckon his past 3 games have been really good. Cant see too many getting stuck into Eli for missing that goal.

Not time to go yet CJ

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Clint and Farren ,two hard bodies ,have been in our best for the 3 games I love the way they go about it trying their guts out ,but for some reason people need a new Raph really disapointing!

PADDLEPOP1000
kimberly saint
Club Player

jones applauded after round one , two weeks later being booted out
Lee was talked about few weeks ago as worst waste draft pick ever, this week a thread on rush him into the ones .
Apparently white was useless in the development game yest , his time is up showing nothing. So as the pattern goes ,white will have huge game in coming weeks and the get him in the one threads will roll in ......

So lets get ready for white to tear it up

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Not another get rid of Jones thread . He will go when the coach says so .
Absolutely correct felix.

Thread coulda/shoulda been closed down after this post.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
felix wrote:Not another get rid of Jones thread . He will go when the coach says so .
Absolutely correct felix.

Thread coulda/shoulda been closed down after this post.
Surely we're not going to close threads when a player is criticised?

CJ had a poor game last night IMO, did plenty of good work too I should add.

Maister & Savage tried their guts out too, but will probably be dropped this week, Jones has a few credits in the bank you would think. If you can't execute the fundamentals for a few games in a row then someone else gets a shot.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

What a cr@p thread!

OP is obviously one of those "Kick it up the guts" type you see every week at the footy.
Would have Jonesy in the red white and black 100 times over, compared to the heartless types of Bryce Gibbs or Jack Watts.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

The bloke is an unintelligent spud.

snap :mrgreen:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:jones applauded after round one , two weeks later being booted out
Lee was talked about few weeks ago as worst waste draft pick ever, this week a thread on rush him into the ones .
Apparently white was useless in the development game yest , his time is up showing nothing. So as the pattern goes ,white will have huge game in coming weeks and the get him in the one threads will roll in ......

Didn't we have about 4500 people request us to play Tommy Walsh? it's fair to say people on footy forums aren't the best judges. I still surprise myself when I bite at these inane threads.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
kimberly saint wrote:jones applauded after round one , two weeks later being booted out

Didn't we have about 4500 people request us to play Tommy Walsh? it's fair to say people on footy forums aren't the best judges. I still surprise myself when I bite at these inane threads.
There were also a lot who wanted Lynch to play more games... Now he is a genuine gun playing at another club.

BigMart didn't want us to get Lovett, :)

Fans aren't always wrong. Let's not forget Jones has played some games at sandy the past couple of years, it's not just SS maniacs.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Not sure Lynch is a genuine gun ,kicked one bag and had 13?good games will be interesting to see what his form is like !

PADDLEPOP1000
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:

There were also a lot who wanted Lynch to play more games... Now he is a genuine gun playing at another club.

BigMart didn't want us to get Lovett, :)

Fans aren't always wrong. Let's not forget Jones has played some games at sandy the past couple of years, it's not just SS maniacs.
my answer to that is -say enough s*** and some of it will be right. I predicted that we would look at Dunstan with our second pick and that Tom Lee would come to us. I didn't know just a lucky guess. I thought Mini was going to be a gun and i wasn't sold on Mc Evoy. Doesn't make me right or wrong just excessively opinionated.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Needed this year as the youngsters won't be able to keep up these efforts all year..

Looking forward will he be required next year? tagging duties are already being passed off and hopefully with another preseason the younger players can hold their own a little more, most of whom are a better kick and are pretty tough.

bergsone
SS Life Member

BOG or close to it couple of weeks ago,imo will play all games this season if fit,next year may be a different story.Still a good servant for us,who always has a real crack at it,admire his efforts to get most of his ability

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

People dwell on the mustakes he makes and are too.quick to overlook the good work he.does. His errors yesterday due to his reluctance to kick he second guesses himself and makes errors.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:People dwell on the mustakes he makes and are too.quick to overlook the good work he.does. His errors yesterday due to his reluctance to kick he second guesses himself and makes errors.
Correct. The only people who don't make mistakes are the ones that don't do anything. Give me a doer every time.

twirlyhair
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:As the title suggests...

How can we really keep a player that looks for the handball repeatedly when running into goal by himself?

Can he actually not kick the football?

This happened 4 times tonight and is getting embarrassing that the bloke cannot and does not kick.
Having a very good season. Who do you suggest will pick up the high possession count he gets?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:As the title suggests...

How can we really keep a player that looks for the handball repeatedly when running into goal by himself?

Can he actually not kick the football?

This happened 4 times tonight and is getting embarrassing that the bloke cannot and does not kick.
Having a very good season. Who do you suggest will pick up the high possession count he gets?
How about Jack Steven? Probably take 10 from Schneider instead of 20 from CJ.

PJ
SS Life Member

If he's not good enough or part of the structure then he won't get a game simple as that. Currently he is.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Honestly shake my head at threads like this ... Criticism of CJ for not kicking it ?!?!? He knows his limitations and adapted to to still be an effective part of the line up .. He sprayed two early shots realised that the better option is to find someone else (something he did twice) ... Without jones that game wold of been a bigger loss in my opinion

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
loris
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Honestly shake my head at threads like this ... Criticism of CJ for not kicking it ?!?!? He knows his limitations and adapted to to still be an effective part of the line up .. He sprayed two early shots realised that the better option is to find someone else (something he did twice) ... Without jones that game wold of been a bigger loss in my opinion
+1

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Honestly shake my head at threads like this ... Criticism of CJ for not kicking it ?!?!? He knows his limitations and adapted to to still be an effective part of the line up .. He sprayed two early shots realised that the better option is to find someone else (something he did twice) ... Without jones that game wold of been a bigger loss in my opinion
My point remains.

His limitations are pathetic. The aim of the game is to kick the football and he cannot execute time and time again.

He runs into open-goals, craps himself, stops, drops and turns the ball over. Or when he does kick the ball it is a sitter missed from 15 metres.

This happens time and time again and it costs the team possession and then goals.

Steven and Schneider back should see him booted (parson the pun regarding a player that cannot kick) back to the twos for good.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Verdun66 wrote:I said this in a thread last year. We need Clint. He covers that much ground and does so much of the grunt work. He saves one of our young kids getting prematurely smashed as he is at the coal-face the whole time getting contested possessions and then spreading. Pity about his kicking sometimes, but you could have said that about many players today. His defensive pressure today in the forward half was instrumental in getting us on top in the game.

Until we have a stellar midfield, we need him.
Well said Mr. Howell.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
My point remains.

His limitations are pathetic. The aim of the game is to kick the football and he cannot execute time and time again.

He runs into open-goals, craps himself, stops, drops and turns the ball over. Or when he does kick the ball it is a sitter missed from 15 metres.

This happens time and time again and it costs the team possession and then goals.

Steven and Schneider back should see him booted (parson the pun regarding a player that cannot kick) back to the twos for good.

maybe when he has a split second to think he freaks out that the critics will attack him once again and second guesses himself. Dennis Cometti started the whole Clint can't kick thing and he was always more an awkward style with a bent knee rather than inaccurate. It ended up coming true as his confidence eroded. Perhaps back him in and he will just run into an open goal and kick it. When you think the eyes of the world are waiting for you to fail it's a pretty big burden.

he has actually been a fairly good shot IMO over his career and certainly not our worst mid for shots on goal. I would love to see evidence of him actually doing the crapping himself over a long period anyway. Perhaps you are using the evidence from one game to try to construct a poorly mounted case against him.

I thought the Melbourne game was good evidence that Clint has played sacrificial roles throughout his career and when allowed to play a prime midfield role got numbers that were as good as any in and under mid in the competition. Perhaps the coaches see more in him than you do and with Schnieder and Steven back he will still get games because he works hard.