Our Club Crest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Our Club Crest

GoSaintersGo wrote:By the way Sainternist, what sort of car do you drive - wouldn't be a 1952 Morris Minor would it?
Harsh GSG. Just add a safety glass windscreen, collapsible steering column, (tasteful) front head restraints, (tasteful) slightly wider wheels and a more modern motor.

Or keep driving soulless plastic. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Spinner wrote:Surely a lot in this thread isn't serious? The logo is still there, it's not been removed or changed significantly.

Would you prefer each to be individually hand sewn on to remain authentic? Maybe we can make even less profit from our merchandise business.
Wow. Why not make it even smaller then? Do you think Carlton would accept a token 2cm square CFC. I dont get your point. Why would you even suggest sowing it on. It's the size that matters. Just don't tell my wife. :wink:

Because things change and aesthetically it looks good. Not oversized.

Sewing on was a sarcastic suggestion based on the OP.

Happy to clear that up for you.

thequarry
Club Player

gringo wrote:I just wish we would win games of footy. I would have the yellow jumper back to be a decent team again.
My 1919-jumpered avatar's on board.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
GoSaintersGo wrote:Come on Sainternist - you must be an old fogie (like me) - at least I grow with the times and think our current jumpers (home & away) are the best of them all.
By the way Sainternist, what sort of car do you drive - wouldn't be a 1952 Morris Minor would it?
For your information, I was born a decade after our one and only premiership. So that makes me somewhat "old" to some and relatively "young" to others. The main reason for me making this thread is because I grew up watching the Saints from the early 1980s. The current situation we're in is starting to feel familiar to the 80s in terms of us losing week after week. For some reason the guernsey was something I always loved. Especially the club crest. There was a marvelous prestige about it. Overall, the guernsey had just the right aesthetic and with perfect symmetry, not to mention its colour combination. The proportions seemed correct to me eyes. That guernsey never looked bad, even when the players performed badly.

I just don't understand, for the life of me, why the club would tinker with that jumper. Sure, a little touching up e.g. changing the trimmings from white to black can work from time to time, as there were old versions which had different trimmings. But the reducing of the size of the crest seemed insane. Imagine if Carlton (not that I care for them in any way) diminished its CFC emblem to the extent of what our has been reduced to. It would make their guernsey look plain as boring as batsh*t and their members would be hostile. I am tired of seeing our great home guernsey being tampered with by faceless "graphic designers" who for all we know couldn't give a flying duck about our club. Since 2011 it has looked like a wetsuit. So I might come across as an old fart, but I really couldn't care less. I just so happen to actually give a damn about the club's heritage, history and traditions.

P.S. Hardy-effing-har about the 1952 Morris Minor. Nice dad joke! No, I have a late 90s Forester. Make of that what you will.
Spinner wrote:Surely a lot in this thread isn't serious? The logo is still there, it's not been removed or changed significantly.

Would you prefer each to be individually hand sewn on to remain authentic? Maybe we can make even less profit from our merchandise business.
Have another bite of cheese, Mr. Surrender Monkey!

What's with the name calling and personal jibes on both my responses? The first was articulated nicely but just didn't agree with you OP. Understood if you find it difficult to put together some valid discussion on the back on my comments.

Anyways, coupled with the letters or whatever you have used your precious time with on this 'issue' could you please invest some into these two somewhat bigger but still jumper related issues:

- the first is where the jumper on the inside stitching uses a zigzag seam rather than the straight stitch used in 1873,

- the second is that the little white tag that gives washing instructions itches my side causing some irritation when the jumper is worn, if we could revert back the the no tag version of 1901 it would be a giant leap forward.

Just roll them into your crusade here, related but somewhat more pressing issues we are facing.

Maybe if you don't agree you could bag my avatar again. That was a good one!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
GoSaintersGo wrote:Come on Sainternist - you must be an old fogie (like me) - at least I grow with the times and think our current jumpers (home & away) are the best of them all.
By the way Sainternist, what sort of car do you drive - wouldn't be a 1952 Morris Minor would it?
For your information, I was born a decade after our one and only premiership. So that makes me somewhat "old" to some and relatively "young" to others. The main reason for me making this thread is because I grew up watching the Saints from the early 1980s. The current situation we're in is starting to feel familiar to the 80s in terms of us losing week after week. For some reason the guernsey was something I always loved. Especially the club crest. There was a marvelous prestige about it. Overall, the guernsey had just the right aesthetic and with perfect symmetry, not to mention its colour combination. The proportions seemed correct to me eyes. That guernsey never looked bad, even when the players performed badly.

I just don't understand, for the life of me, why the club would tinker with that jumper. Sure, a little touching up e.g. changing the trimmings from white to black can work from time to time, as there were old versions which had different trimmings. But the reducing of the size of the crest seemed insane. Imagine if Carlton (not that I care for them in any way) diminished its CFC emblem to the extent of what our has been reduced to. It would make their guernsey look plain as boring as batsh*t and their members would be hostile. I am tired of seeing our great home guernsey being tampered with by faceless "graphic designers" who for all we know couldn't give a flying duck about our club. Since 2011 it has looked like a wetsuit. So I might come across as an old fart, but I really couldn't care less. I just so happen to actually give a damn about the club's heritage, history and traditions.

P.S. Hardy-effing-har about the 1952 Morris Minor. Nice dad joke! No, I have a late 90s Forester. Make of that what you will.

Have another bite of cheese, Mr. Surrender Monkey!

What's with the name calling and personal jibes on both my responses? The first was articulated nicely but just didn't agree with you OP. Understood if you find it difficult to put together some valid discussion on the back on my comments.

Anyways, coupled with the letters or whatever you have used your precious time with on this 'issue' could you please invest some into these two somewhat bigger but still jumper related issues:

- the first is where the jumper on the inside stitching uses a zigzag seam rather than the straight stitch used in 1873,

- the second is that the little white tag that gives washing instructions itches my side causing some irritation when the jumper is worn, if we could revert back the the no tag version of 1901 it would be a giant leap forward.

Just roll them into your crusade here, related but somewhat more pressing issues we are facing.

Maybe if you don't agree you could bag my avatar again. That was a good one!
Just joshin' ya, mate. I have to admit, I get a little precious when it comes to changing something "sacred" and will tend to give a backhanded response to anything contrary.

Definitely not here to make enemies and I take back my comment on your hockey team. The Cheese eating surrender monkey is something our old pal Barks4eva used to say to other posters who opposed his strong views. You're most likely right about the crest being sewn on as little overzealous. If they brought it back to its old size, I reckon I'd be happy with the decision of it being restored even if it were sewn or printed on.

I guess at the end of the day, we're all (hopefully) ardent Sainter supporters and we'll have differing views. I'm all for differences of opinion and appreciate that you took the time to express yours.

Peace out!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Wow. Why not make it even smaller then? Do you think Carlton would accept a token 2cm square CFC. I dont get your point. Why would you even suggest sowing it on. It's the size that matters. Just don't tell my wife. :wink:

Because things change and aesthetically it looks good. Not oversized.

Sewing on was a sarcastic suggestion based on the OP.

Happy to clear that up for you.
Your opinion it looks good, not mine. Thanks for clearing everything up.