Next captain?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jamesmc
Club Player

Re: Next captain?

St Ick wrote:I think Geary is the obvious choice, isn't the best on our list, but is best 22 easily and has the respect of the players and coach - I think I saw Richo somewhere say he was the coaches favourite.

As much as I'd love an up and comer like Newnes or Dunstan, they are just gonna be too young and we don't want a Trengove or Ball situation. Geary fits the age bracket, has the respect and leads by example.
Is this a bait?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Armo
If he stays. I've heard a couple of rumours that the pelican may have other plans for him.
Pelican has plans for everyone if the price is right.
But if noone offers us a top 25 pick then Armo stays and for me has to be Captain.

(People suggesting Dunstan is ludicrous. Get him to 100 games first then bring him into contention. Until then forget it. Thats 4 years off - at best).

saint-stu
Club Player

Con, no one suggested Dunstan straight away. Roo until he retires, the Montagna until he retires, then Dunstan. That will probably be 3-4 years.

1ac46a38
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Armo
If he stays. I've heard a couple of rumours that the pelican may have other plans for him.
Pelican has plans for everyone if the price is right.
But if noone offers us a top 25 pick then Armo stays and for me has to be Captain.

(People suggesting Dunstan is ludicrous. Get him to 100 games first then bring him into contention. Until then forget it. Thats 4 years off - at best).

Con cannot find a post suggesting Dunstan next season. As if he or even a third year player could be Captain next season. Choices are limited after next season but Roo will again be captain next year. Like this season there is little choice.

lloyd21
Club Player

Rory Sloane

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

jamesmc wrote:
St Ick wrote:I think Geary is the obvious choice, isn't the best on our list, but is best 22 easily and has the respect of the players and coach - I think I saw Richo somewhere say he was the coaches favourite.

As much as I'd love an up and comer like Newnes or Dunstan, they are just gonna be too young and we don't want a Trengove or Ball situation. Geary fits the age bracket, has the respect and leads by example.
Is this a bait?
Clearly not.

You don't hand the captaincy to someone simply because he is your best player. When fit, how many games has Box missed in the last few years? He is a very very good leader on and off the track, and sets the exact example that the young blokes need to.

Pretty sure he was Joel Selwoods captain in the under 18s too, just for a little bit of trivia! May be wrong though but I think that was the case.

Jarryn may well only be a GOP but he will be around for years to come and always be first 22.

As for Joey, why don't those suggesting Joey look into the whats wrong with Joey thread, I don't see him as a superior leader of our club, and will only play a year or two more than Roo, as discussed, the court case won't help his profile or the clubs either this year and next.

Armo isn't a bad choice, but he has only just started to show leadership signs, and I'm not fully convinced he will be around for all that long anyway - no Intel, just a hunch because someone we like is gonna go I feel.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Is this a bait?
Clearly not.

You don't hand the captaincy to someone simply because he is your best player. When fit, how many games has Box missed in the last few years? He is a very very good leader on and off the track, and sets the exact example that the young blokes need to.

Pretty sure he was Joel Selwoods captain in the under 18s too, just for a little bit of trivia! May be wrong though but I think that was the case.

Jarryn may well only be a GOP but he will be around for years to come and always be first 22.

As for Joey, why don't those suggesting Joey look into the whats wrong with Joey thread, I don't see him as a superior leader of our club, and will only play a year or two more than Roo, as discussed, the court case won't help his profile or the clubs either this year and next.

Armo isn't a bad choice, but he has only just started to show leadership signs, and I'm not fully convinced he will be around for all that long anyway - no Intel, just a hunch because someone we like is gonna go I feel.

Geary is clearly in our best 22 at the moment but the next Captain could be 3 years away. i would be hoping by then that he is close to not being in our best 22. Tries very hard and is very hard at it but skills like so many others are really poor. Turnovers are game killers in any cometition of footy but in the AFL they are punished more than ever.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Is this a bait?
Clearly not.

Geary is clearly in our best 22 at the moment but the next Captain could be 3 years away. i would be hoping by then that he is close to not being in our best 22. Tries very hard and is very hard at it but skills like so many others are really poor. Turnovers are game killers in any cometition of footy but in the AFL they are punished more than ever.
Can't disagree with what you say there, apart from the fact that I don't think his skills are really poor. They are average, but he is one who knows his limitations and wasn't actually turning it over that much compared to earlier years. I don't think he gets caught out as often as someone like Gwilt whose skills are better but execution and decision making under pressure are poor.

I think I was basing it on Roo relinquishing the captaincy at the end of this year which was an oversight by me. A lot can happen in 3 years, if Roo sticks around for that long and keeps the captaincy then who knows who will step up. I think he is a 'heart and soul' type player, but as you say, he may not have a spot in three years despite being in the first dozen picked currently.

Maybe Newnsey would be a candidate in three years time. Would be up around 100 games, is of great character, and has shown steady improvement every year he has played - having somewhat of a third year breakout this year - if he continues to grow on field who knows in three years.

Strength through Loyalty
SMS
Club Player

DRAFT BEST PLAYER pick number 1
Hugh Goddard with POick number 2 (fluke)

ARMITAGE - 2015 to 2019
NEWNES, DUNSTAN OR HUGH GODDARD - 2019 onwards

3 FLAGS in a ROW, 2020, 2021 and 2022.

Lots to look forward to.

;)

SMS
Club Player

2020 FLAG TEAM ____________________

------ , ------, Murdoch
Newnes, Bruce, Wright
Shenton, Curren, Acres
------, *S.White, Billings
Ross, ------- , Templeton

Hickey Steven, Dunstan

INTERCHANGE: Longer, Weller, Saunders, ------

------- = Gun Draftees in 2014, 2015, 2016
* = Not sure

Either way we need to draft 3 GUN KPPs (start with H. Goddard)
IMO on top of that we need FASTEST players available. Thats it. Forget best grab the fatest. We have enough insiders need SPEED now.

Anyway team taking shape even if hard to see.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:2020 FLAG TEAM ____________________

------ , ------, Murdoch
Newnes, Bruce, Wright
Shenton, Curren, Acres
------, *S.White, Billings
Ross, ------- , Templeton

Hickey Steven, Dunstan

INTERCHANGE: Longer, Weller, Saunders, ------

------- = Gun Draftees in 2014, 2015, 2016
* = Not sure

Either way we need to draft 3 GUN KPPs (start with H. Goddard)
IMO on top of that we need FASTEST players available. Thats it. Forget best grab the fatest. We have enough insiders need SPEED now.

Anyway team taking shape even if hard to see.

You want Goddard and speed. Now that is an oxy moron. Even with improvement in may players that side is a bottom 3 side. If by 2020 we have all those or even most on the list we are in real trouble. We do need speed though as well as 2 KPP forwards.

saintjake
Club Player

Billings will be the next long term captain of the club

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

We need a new captain next year to better reflect and relate to the young playing group.

Roo is captain of a team from the past. Move him onto the wing and bring an end to him getting beaten up each week. He may even start to enjoy his footy again.

Armo is the right age and demonstrates the right on field actions. Is uncompromising with the players off field. Sets the standard. Roo isn't doing that anymore. This would be good from external perception also.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:We need a new captain next year to better reflect and relate to the young playing group.

Roo is captain of a team from the past. Move him onto the wing and bring an end to him getting beaten up each week. He may even start to enjoy his footy again.

Armo is the right age and demonstrates the right on field actions. Is uncompromising with the players off field. Sets the standard. Roo isn't doing that anymore. This would be good from external perception also.

Sure I read all that for the last 3 years. Reckon he will continue to play footy at FF because he hasnt got many if any skills that an onballer nees. Also think he is certain to be captain again next year. And I know 14 games is a long time in footy but basically Rooy won us our 3 games so I think he is still setting a standard better than anyone else bar hayes.

citywest

Maybe we should bring back the rotating policy for the next few years while there isn't a standout. :shock: 2015 Armitage, 2016 Steven 2017 Dunstan and 2018 Billings. After the 2018 season we will be knocking on the door of finals so that would be the ideal time to make Dunstan and Billings co-captains. By then they will be 24 and have around 100 games each to their names. :D
Last edited by citywest on Sun 06 Jul 2014 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Joey?

Yeah nah.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armo

No contest/No alternative imo

Roo is Captain of the 09/10 almost premiership sides and the top 3 Sainters to ever pull on a boot.

The club needs to stop thinking it might win a 2010 replay.

Its OVER.

Move on.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 06 Jul 2014 6:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Joey?

Yeah nah.
Definitely nah SainterK ............... after that dismal performance today.

I've given up making excuses for him. At beginning of season I excused him because he seemed to be playing sore. Then I think I was first on the site months ago when I said I thought he was doing a Goddard & Dal Santo and playing as if he had made the decision he wouldn't be with the Saints next year. Then for a couple of games he seemed to put in more of an effort, so I thought maybe that feeling I had was wrong.

Hate to give in to that feeling again but I'm sure he is looking elsewhere. Like BJ & Dal, IHMO Joey has enough footy smarts to be able to keep his stats up that hides he is not playing with passion for the Club anymore.

Maybe if he'd had a go at being captain this year the intensity and passion may have remained with Joey.................. sad to say I think he is just playing the year out on his terms....... worse thing as a senior player with his skills he is not providing a good example for younger players

No longer do I think he is 'having a form slump' nor 'playing sore, nor being 'heavily tagged'. Nup me think he's gawn!! Gee I'd love to be proven wrong :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Yeah nah.
Definitely nah SainterK ............... after that dismal performance today.

I've given up making excuses for him. At beginning of season I excused him because he seemed to be playing sore. Then I think I was first on the site months ago when I said I thought he was doing a Goddard & Dal Santo and playing as if he had made the decision he wouldn't be with the Saints next year. Then for a couple of games he seemed to put in more of an effort, so I thought maybe that feeling I had was wrong.

Hate to give in to that feeling again but I'm sure he is looking elsewhere. Like BJ & Dal, IHMO Joey has enough footy smarts to be able to keep his stats up that hides he is not playing with passion for the Club anymore.

Maybe if he'd had a go at being captain this year the intensity and passion may have remained with Joey.................. sad to say I think he is just playing the year out on his terms....... worse thing as a senior player with his skills he is not providing a good example for younger players

No longer do I think he is 'having a form slump' nor 'playing sore, nor being 'heavily tagged'. Nup me think he's gawn!! Gee I'd love to be proven wrong :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah nah.
Should never have been in calculations :(

I wonder if wearing Saints colours really means that much to him, I guess we will know come trade week...

Strength through Loyalty
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Armo.

I've been saying it for years.

For too long, people think if you're a champion player, you're a champion captain and that's not always right. After the tete a tete Roonwas having with Stanley I'm wondering if he's creating a "Stuff you" mentality with the players.

I say again, don't play Roo next week and let's see how Armo performs as stand in captain.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Armo.

For too long, people think if you're a champion player, you're a champion captain and that's not always right. After the tete a tete Roonwas having with Stanley I'm wondering if he's creating a "Stuff you" mentality with the players.

I say again, don't play Roo next week and let's see how Armo performs as stand in captain.

Lenny would be Captain if he didnt play. of course Rooy plays next week. What does he need to rest for? I doubt we will make the finals.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Lenny would be Captain if he didnt play. of course Rooy plays next week. What does he need to rest for? I doubt we will make the finals.

I would like see how the team works together without Roo both as captain and the " go to man" when it's clear they can't or won't go to him.

Maybe they'll take upon the responsibility to at least have a kick at goal without the trepidation they're going to berated by their captain.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I would like see how the team works together without Roo both as captain and the " go to man" when it's clear they can't or won't go to him.

Maybe they'll take upon the responsibility to at least have a kick at goal without the trepidation they're going to berated by their captain.

I dont think Jimmy kicked it to Roo because he was worried what Roo would say. It was bad decision and a worse kick. That simple.

older saint
SS Life Member

Roo unitl he retires ( hopefully 3 years ) and by then Dunstan ( former junior captain) will be the pick