Lenny Hayes - the coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lenny Hayes - the coach

agree 100%

in fact id liek to see lendog cruise off for a year at least and work under a top coach somewhere to gain the experience and see the diff sides that exist in other clubs
stay at the one place your whole life and you wont learn new stuff and ideas from the outside

of course id be happy to have him stay on but reckon it would be good to learn elsewhere
then come 'home' to his sainters and be a huge part as an assistant or mid coach for our next flag tilt

the timing could be perfect for lenny to do this

i can see it now:
dunny weller blackcurrant bpay all huggin lenny the assistant mid coach after their granny win, all puttin their medals around his neck

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:I'd like to see Lenny embark on a coaching career by getting his coach's accreditation 1st (or starting the process as a 1st step). I reckon J.T. Jabber might just have made the days of the legend going straight into coaching, without the accompanying education and broadening, as a 1st or complementary effort, entirely redundant.

I think it was Clarkson who emphasised the need. He's mostly a pillock, Clarkson, but he's on a reasonable footing to talk about direction and development.

He has already done all the coaching courses i believe. has had some experience at Oakleigh Chargers and now its time to get experience at another club IMO. If he ends up back with us all well and good.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I'd like to see Lenny embark on a coaching career by getting his coach's accreditation 1st (or starting the process as a 1st step). I reckon J.T. Jabber might just have made the days of the legend going straight into coaching, without the accompanying education and broadening, as a 1st or complementary effort, entirely redundant.

I think it was Clarkson who emphasised the need. He's mostly a pillock, Clarkson, but he's on a reasonable footing to talk about direction and development.

He has already done all the coaching courses i believe. has had some experience at Oakleigh Chargers and now its time to get experience at another club IMO. If he ends up back with us all well and good.
That sounds promising. It certainly shows some ambition and if he were to apply himself as he has as a player then I reckon he'd make a good fist of it.

I believe there are a number of levels of accreditation. Do you know if he has completed all the levels?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That sounds promising. It certainly shows some ambition and if he were to apply himself as he has as a player then I reckon he'd make a good fist of it.

I believe there are a number of levels of accreditation. Do you know if he has completed all the levels?

He certainly has level 1 and I think probably 2. Not sure if he is allowed to get level 3 until he does more coaching but thats just a guess. Dont know a lot about the levels after level one because that is the only one I have. I did hear that one of the AFL coaches doesnt have any levels. Not sure who told me but if it came from my local club it would be Hardwick or Clarkson at a guess as both have kids playing at our club. That maybe just a bulls*** rumour though.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:I thought it was Freemantle that had had words with Lenny just a couple of weeks ago
the story i heard was Freo approached Lennys managment to find out if he was going on next year and if not if he was open to considering a move to WA as an assistant coach ...
take it for what it is just a story ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
resaintlee wrote:I thought it was Freemantle that had had words with Lenny just a couple of weeks ago
the story i heard was Freo approached Lennys managment to find out if he was going on next year and if not if he was open to considering a move to WA as an assistant coach ...

I think his wife would be pretty upset if they left Brighton.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He certainly has level 1 and I think probably 2. Not sure if he is allowed to get level 3 until he does more coaching but thats just a guess. Dont know a lot about the levels after level one because that is the only one I have. I did hear that one of the AFL coaches doesnt have any levels. Not sure who told me but if it came from my local club it would be Hardwick or Clarkson at a guess as both have kids playing at our club. That maybe just a bulls*** rumour though.
You have level 1? Impressive.

Is that the next one after prep?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You have level 1? Impressive.

Is that the next one after prep?

My dog has level 2 so itsnt that hard. You need level one to coach kids.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:Lenny will never be an AFL coach (but assistant a certainty) for the same reason that Robert Harvey hasn't been. The following current or ex Saints players from the last fifteen years would possibly make a successful AFL coach:

Nick Riewoldt
Luke Ball

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Lenny will never be an AFL coach (but assistant a certainty) for the same reason that Robert Harvey hasn't been. The following current or ex Saints players from the last fifteen years would possibly make a successful AFL coach:

Nick Riewoldt
Luke Ball
Yep. Good get.

The thing with both Luke and Nick is that they may be too busy making loads of money elsewhere.

For our club, I would like to see a one club ex champion do the job. It would be excellent for membership for a start. But in the AFL, it is hardly a prerequisite. In fact (unless I have forgotten someone), the last two one club ex players who coached his team to a flag were John Worsfold in 2006 and Alan Joyce in 1991.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

as i said i got told Freo asked his management what his plans were .. that doesnt mean he has any inclination of leaving it was just Freo asking the question ...
the story came from a person how is pretty reliable with things concerning Freo and who they activly target ... like all clubs they would target many people to sound out possiblilities thats not saying they have a contract to put forwad or any thing just asking questions about a persons plans ... its called being pro-active

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

as i said i got told Freo asked his management what his plans were .. that doesnt mean he has any inclination of leaving it was just Freo asking the question ...
the story came from a person how is pretty reliable with things concerning Freo and who they activly target ... like all clubs they would target many people to sound out possiblilities thats not saying they have a contract to put forwad or any thing just asking questions about a persons plans ... its called being pro-active

I know they should approach him like just about any club but i would be discounting Freo. if he ever did leave Melbourne the only possible hope IMO is one of the Sydney clubs.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Saints next year would be a good start for him - more of a support role, with not any huge expectations on team performance.

With his first Assistant Coaching year behind him, he could then look at his options.

supersaints
Club Player

Think Lenny should spread his wings as an assistant, returning tithe Saints in future.
IMO he'd be smart getting to Hawthorn, for a year or two they seem to be at the forefront of tactics , skills training etc
Also close enough to home..
Who knows he may be back at the club with Banger one day.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!