Schneider still on the list....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Schneider still on the list....

plugger66 wrote:If his mum was crying in the rooms after the game you would suggest he is going unless of course he just told her off.
Or she too loves Lenny?

Always loyal
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If his mum was crying in the rooms after the game you would suggest he is going unless of course he just told her off.
Or she too loves Lenny?

Well that goes without saying.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:The fact that he's only one of oh, say, three players hitting a target more than 25 metres away counts in his favour.
Yeah but he's had a total of what 15 kicks in 3 years

2011 onwards he's been shocking

knowing how we love reputations, we'll pbly sign him for 2 more seasons

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
evertonfc wrote:The fact that he's only one of oh, say, three players hitting a target more than 25 metres away counts in his favour.
Yeah but he's had a total of what 15 kicks in 3 years

2011 onwards he's been shocking

knowing how we love reputations, we'll pbly sign him for 2 more seasons

Superboot
SS Life Member

We all know he hasn't played much footy due to injury, but he gets another pre-season for mine.

Oodles of class, can finish, can play forward or defence, and is probably the smartest player in the whole team.

Yes, I know, the caveat is when he's fit, which hasn't been often. But players like him don't grow on trees and he deserves another year.

Agree with all of this, and not just because you're an Evertonian!

He is definitely the smartest player in the team. I've been watching the Saints for nearly 50 years, and Schneids would be in my top 40 over all that time.

Give him another year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:

We all know he hasn't played much footy due to injury, but he gets another pre-season for mine.

Oodles of class, can finish, can play forward or defence, and is probably the smartest player in the whole team.

Yes, I know, the caveat is when he's fit, which hasn't been often. But players like him don't grow on trees and he deserves another year.

He is definitely the smartest player in the team. I've been watching the Saints for nearly 50 years, and Schneids would be in my top 40 over all that time.

Give him another year.
Definately a class player, but didn't look match-fit in the last couple of games, and looked to be carrying a bit of extra weight. Could go around again with a decent pre-season and no injuries.

FQF
SS Life Member

Superboot wrote:

Give him another year.
He does have plenty of class and great skills but he has been missing most of his set shots this year, almost all of which we perfectly kickable.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I am each-way on this one. We know his on-field strengths/weakness and yes, he should have kicked that goal in the 09 GF!

You would have to be inside the Club to know his standing with the younger players. I will rely on the Club to make the correct decision here.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

drops some weight and gets fit over pre season
super fit
then sure, keep him about

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He always seems to have a bit of custard around the middle.

If its cause of niggles hampering him getting on the track enough, I'm not sure.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

he did pull a few vintage moves with the crows got me thinking maybe he has a bit more to offer. but if you asked me Fisher or Adam... i take Fisher for another year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
matrix
Saintsational Legend

id actually get rid of him myself
but if he is a wanted player then he has to get fit
drop at least 8 to 10 and get fit
he has to be able to run out a game
i dont mind finger pointing if you are running to possie as well
but standing there doing it pisses me off no end

get fit!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:He always seems to have a bit of custard around the middle.

If its cause of niggles hampering him getting on the track enough, I'm not sure.
So do I and I am awesome

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Superboot wrote:

Give him another year.
He does have plenty of class and great skills but he has been missing most of his set shots this year, almost all of which we perfectly kickable.
This to me is what's wrong with our mentality and hopefully the club don't think along the same lines

Here we have a SENIOR player
that does not play good football
has not played good football in 3 years
has little capability to play good football in the future
is on a high income
is celebrated like he is the bees knees

TOP 40 OF ALL TIME!? How pathetic are we that a guy that's played two good seasons is in our top 40 of all time

Simply the most overrated player we've ever had
Gets by on what exactly... a few good kicks a game

matrix
Saintsational Legend

seriously?
the most over rated player we have every had?!

big call

sainters4eva
Club Player

Agree with most of what has been posted here. Very creative player but not really fit enough to have a real impact or see out a game. Just wondered though that because we are in a development phase where learning is more important than winning, the club sees more value in him being an on field coach rather than being a solid contributor to the game.

Club Player

Sadly he is the same as Milera now- looks a player but too little impact, no defensive side, misses key goals and whilst a likeable chap I am sure (so everyone says), he is there to play football. Again, time to go!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Probably the best footy brain in the club, and I'm including Richo here.

Keep him for 2015, and transition him to a coaching role in 2016.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintbob
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:Probably the best footy brain in the club, and I'm including Richo here.

Keep him for 2015, and transition him to a coaching role in 2016.
100% correct

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:seriously?
the most over rated player we have every had?!

big call
help me out here Matrix...
maybe I'm just clouded because I've been over him for a while...

his first season with us is what 2009? He had good seasons in 09-10 including a run in 2010 where he played 5-6 games at almost elite standard

surely a realistic expectation of Adam is that whilst we don't expect him to be a match winner all the time... he should be amongst our better half a dozen players in about half the games yes??

a solid B+ player... comfortably in our 22 a lot of good games per year, a few great ones and about half where he's so with cameos... for a player that would pbly be on $400k?

Surely that's reasonable

Has he really given you that?

For the last few years he's been injured a lot and mediocre... he plays maybe 2-3 good games a season usually against the lower teams

How can anyone suggest that there has been a benefit to keeping him for the last 3 seasons and want more of this next year?

what is the appeal that people are seeing?

He has football smarts..??? Seriously? That's it. i have football smarts... I'm very composed on the field... excellent decision making if I do say so myself... my problem is I'm unfit, physically weak and have terrible skills.

Oh he has good disposal... he was dropped for a large chunk of the season. BECAUSE HE DOESN"T PLAY GOOD GAMES

the call that he would be an all time top 40 to me is simply unbelievable ------------ talk about taking trash and calling it treasure. Would any club out there take him with pick 90 and yet half on here want another season.

I'm so sick about hearing how unlucky it is he's injured... he gets heaps of soft-tissue injuries because he's consistently been lazy... you don't see Lenny Hayes or Nick Riewoldt getting too many and it's not because their genetic freaks but freaks with their preparation

All I can say is struth... an overpaid, underperforming, inconsistent, injury prone player that's played at least 2 seasons longer than he should have should get another season!!!!

We have gained NOTHING from paying and keeping him on the lit for three seasons. NOTHING. All of guys like Dunnell, Milera, Ledger, Siposs etc should have played ahead of him... they still might not have made it but at least they all had potential upside.

I will watch this with interest because IMO this type of hero-worship is why we're a rabble. If Adam gets another season I will fair dinkum throw up

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Very harsh Skeptic. Whilst no superstar he has been a solid to good player for us over the years. Im unsure he was dropped to Sandy for a large chunk of the season either. As for those players playing ahead of him my question would be why? If those guys were good enough they would have got games. This fanciful idea that you need to give guys plenty of games to see if they are good enough is rubbish IMO. Those guys you mentioned arent or werent good enough and Schneider deserved to play in front of all of them. And how does hero worship of players, which isnt true in this case anyway, make our team rabble. makes no sense. Has this type of worship only started last year because i doubt you could call us rabble from 2004 to 2011. If Schneider gets another year it means we have others to delist before him. I think he will retire maybe as early as Fridy night.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 04 Sep 2014 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I find it sad that we have this kind of attack mindset for all our old servants. Guys like Jones and Schnieder have given what they could for our cause yet are expected just to f#$@ off
when we have stopped being amused by them anymore.

Fans aren't always the best list managers or have very long memories. After one successfulish draft we have forgotten that we have jack to show for 8 years worth of drafts before it. Now we are rushing to retire anyone over 25 like pick 78 will turn out to be Wayne Carey.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I find it sad that we have this kind of attack mindset for all our old servants. Guys like Jones and Schnieder have given what they could for our cause yet are expected just to f#$@ off
when we have stopped being amused by them anymore.

Fans aren't always the best list managers or have very long memories. After one successfulish draft we have forgotten that we have jack to show for 8 years worth of drafts before it. Now we are rushing to retire anyone over 25 like pick 78 will turn out to be Wayne Carey.
I dont like this mentality either... I don't rate Schneider, Jone or Gwilt... Am glad we're keeping Fisher and Dempster, had my issues with Ray but have been impressed with his last season or 2 and would keep him

It's not all the older players... Just the ones that have been poor for a while

It's sad that with many forumites it always has to be a bigger issue... I cant possibly dislike an older player without having an issue with all seniors... Cant just be about performance can it

dragit
Saintsational Legend

You have some fair points skeptic, his output has been disappointing for a few years, though I'm not sure you can fairly pin persistent soft tissue injuries on laziness, plenty of extremely hard working players suffer horrendous runs of calf & hamstring injuries.

I won't be upset either way, but I reckon he could still be in strife.

Club Player

If we get three picks in the draft inside the top 20, if the current rookies are upgraded as seems likely - i.e. Weller, Templeton and possibly Shenton, and one for contingencies, then we need 7 spots. Currently we have 6 to the best of my recollection. Who else goes? Yes we may trade a contracted player but this is last ditch stuff. We also need to consider what to do with our other rookies- do we upgrade or risk losing them?
So we may need even more openings.
So, for me Schneider is the obvious, uncontracted player whose time has expired. It has nothing to do with how amusing a chap he may be, he has been disappointing for too many years now for the few good years to matter.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike